Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

Killed by Rupert Murdoch... http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert-murdoch-national-geographic-layoffs/
He can't let a magazine say the true about climate change after all, it mean trouble for him and his bunch of oligarchs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 12:29 pm

Yes I heard of this, it certainly is a shame.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 1:40 pm

They were going to die regardless.
This was a last ditch attempt by National Geographic Society to keep the multimedia properties alive.

The magazine was seeing a rapid drop year after year in subscribers since the early 2000s.
It literally has ~6.8M subscribers left worldwide, with 3.5M left in the U.S.
The National Geographic's channel on cable/satellite has very few people actually watching it.
Their PBS specials aren't bringing in the ratings....

They have been literally bleeding money for almost 16 years now due to a lack of interest in their multimedia properties.

This deal with Murdoch is a last ditch attempt to make the media profitable.
If this deal fails, then it's lights out for National Geographic's media.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 1:47 pm

xenocity wrote:
This was a last ditch attempt by National Geographic Society to keep the multimedia properties alive.

The magazine was seeing a rapid drop year after year in subscribers since the early 2000s.
The National Geographic's channel on cable/satellite has very few people actually watching it.

They have been literally bleeding money for almost 16 years now due to a lack of interest in their multimedia properties.

I used to subscribe and it was one of my favorite things to read since I was around 7, I did notice a bit of decline myself though and haven't had a subscription for quite a while...but I'd still pick them up on occasion. I didn't watch much of the cable channel I mean it seemed to go the way of The History Channel and Discovery Channel. Either way though this move will destroy every semblance of what it once was.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 1:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
xenocity wrote:

I used to subscribe and it was one of my favorite things to read since I was around 7, I did notice a bit of decline myself though and haven't had a subscription for quite a while...but I'd still pick them up on occasion. I didn't watch much of the cable channel I mean it seemed to go the way of The History Channel and Discovery Channel. Either way though this move will destroy every semblance of what it once was.

Well, it was going to be shut down entirely or restructured by a for profit entity.
it wasn't going to remain the same.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

One more beautiful thing gone.

I had learned so very much about ancient civilizations, rare animals and plants, small/dying cultures......just so many fascinating things, and now MURDOCH will control it?!?

Aaaaagh!

R.I.P.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 11:12 am

It seems like half the time I try to reply to something, the Cloudflare anti-spam won't let me reply.

It's getting extremely aggravating.

Last edited by eric76 on 07 Nov 2015, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 11:46 am

Sylkat wrote:
One more beautiful thing gone.

Yes :(

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 4:10 pm

Tollorin wrote:
He can't let a magazine say the true about climate change after all

Just what is the truth about Climate Change?

It seems to me that a warming climate is generally a good thing for mankind. It is a cooling climate that is disastrous. Remember that we are currently in a warm period of an ice age. When this warm period ends, as it will, and another period of glaciation begins, starvation and death by starvation will be the norm and that will almost surely lead to devastating wars as everyone tries to grab what they can of the decreasing resources.

Warming? It means life. It means a greater abundance of food. It means an easier life. It means greater satisfaction.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:10 pm

xenocity wrote:

NatGeo has been in a death spiral for a decade now. Simply put, they switched from delivering content to delivering media. That move in the early 2000's was seppuku.

The magazine subscription dropped because of the internet itself...but they failed to keep up with the new technology and stubbornly stuck to their printed magazine for too long until it was just too late. There's so many things NatGeo could've done to integrate with the internet and make it unique and still deliver content that was worth watching (note: not reality tv shows) and reading... sad, sad.

In the hands of this capitalist, yes, its dead and gone.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:13 pm

I love printed magazines. It's really bad that they are taking such a beating from the Internet.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 12:25 am

eric76 wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
He can't let a magazine say the true about climate change after all

Just what is the truth about Climate Change?

It seems to me that a warming climate is generally a good thing for mankind. It is a cooling climate that is disastrous. Remember that we are currently in a warm period of an ice age. When this warm period ends, as it will, and another period of glaciation begins, starvation and death by starvation will be the norm and that will almost surely lead to devastating wars as everyone tries to grab what they can of the decreasing resources.

Warming? It means life. It means a greater abundance of food. It means an easier life. It means greater satisfaction.

What I mean by the truth is that globally the climate is getting warmer and that men are quite likely responsible. Peoples that don't accept that as a true with the great abundance of proofs there is right now will never it no mater the proofs, or maybe only when then will see coastal cities be shallowed by the sea. Believe me, Manhattan is already doomed, It WILL be shallowed by the sea during this century.
You say that warming mean life, yet thousand of peoples died recently from heat waves in India and Pakistan; heat waves so intense that they were melting down roads! Heat is necessary for life, true, but complex life as we know it can only thrive in a limited window of heat and too much of it is as bad as too few of it. No life is to be found on the surface of Venus after all. Still life will most likely survive Climate Change, but nothing is sure about human civilisation. Sea rise, droughts, floods, forest fires and so on will bring many deaths, destruction of critical infrastructures and displacements of populations and, human nature being what it is, many wars.
Decline of civilisations did happen, notably the late bronze age collapse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse
It was so bad in some middle-eastern parts that ALL cities of some regions have simply been abandoned.

Wikipedia wrote:
The growing complexity and specialization of the Late Bronze Age political, economic, and social organization in Carol Thomas and Craig Conant's phrase[32] is a weakness that could explain such a widespread collapse that was able to render the Bronze Age civilizations incapable of recovery. The critical flaws of the Late Bronze Age are its centralization, specialization, complexity and top-heavy political structure.

Sound like a certain 21th century global civilisation.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 4:52 am

The piece of crap gotcha security is not letting me post my response. I'll try breaking it down to smaller sections and see what happens.

Tollorin wrote:
What I mean by the truth is that globally the climate is getting warmer and that men are quite likely responsible. Peoples that don't accept that as a true with the great abundance of proofs there is right now will never it no mater the proofs, or maybe only when then will see coastal cities be shallowed by the sea. Believe me, Manhattan is already doomed, It WILL be shallowed by the sea during this century.

That is far from proven. It is based only on models that are not proving to be very accurate in the near term.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 4:53 am

Well, the first part came through. Time to try the next part.

Quote:
You say that warming mean life, yet thousand of peoples died recently from heat waves in India and Pakistan; heat waves so intense that they were melting down roads! Heat is necessary for life, true, but complex life as we know it can only thrive in a limited window of heat and too much of it is as bad as too few of it. No life is to be found on the surface of Venus after all. Still life will most likely survive Climate Change, but nothing is sure about human civilisation. Sea rise, droughts, floods, forest fires and so on will bring many deaths, destruction of critical infrastructures and displacements of populations and, human nature being what it is, many wars.

You seem to be of the group that fears run away warming. The reality is that it isn't going to happen. All we will do is move to a new equilibrium. How much is hard to say, but models that assume that CO2 will continue to rise indefinitely are hardly believable.

Perhaps you are unaware that about eight to ten thousand years ago, it was substantially warmer than today. The result? Mankind was finally able to take its first steps toward civilization.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 4:54 am

Two parts came through. Will the final part go through?

Quote:
Decline of civilisations did happen, notably the late bronze age collapse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse
It was so bad in some middle-eastern parts that ALL cities of some regions have simply been abandoned.
And you blame this on Global Warming! Why?

It seems to me that the Global Warming Alarmists are doing everything they can to blame any bad event that has ever happened on Global Warming. What evidence is there, other than imagination, that this had to do with climate?

Keep in mind that parts of that area flourished when temperatures were warmer than that.