Apple to FBI: We aren't complying with U.S. Court Order!

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 5:00 pm

Good for them. The government shouldn't be able to force them to create a backdoor to their own, nor anyone else's, products.

Quote:
The implications of the government’s demands are chilling. If the government can use the All Writs Act to make it easier to unlock your iPhone, it would have the power to reach into anyone’s device to capture their data. The government could extend this breach of privacy and demand that Apple build surveillance software to intercept your messages, access your health records or financial data, track your location, or even access your phone’s microphone or camera without your knowledge.

Very slippery slope there...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Feb 2016, 5:43 pm

Yea, you can't have a backdoor to encryption it doesn't work that way. As said if the US government can get into it then so can the Russian, Chinese, Israelis, North Korea, anyone potentially.

We need to stop thinking of ways to erode our freedoms to keep us safe, that isn't the terrorists winning but rather the fascists in our own government. One thing people should keep in mind is that Apple may be saying this but what they are actually doing is another, I don't think our government takes no for an answer.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:27 pm

I commend Apple for their commitment to customer privacy... but not so much for their other business practices. Vendor lock-in, planned obsolescence, walled gardens... these are all things Apple is guilty of, which is why I don't buy their products. But do Apple users make me jealous sometimes? Absolutely.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

Okay, guys----I just don't understand this..... Could someone please explain it to me? I don't understand why a program can't be written for that ONE phone, so that it can be given unlimited number of tries to come-up-with the passcode. It's sounding like you guys are saying whatever they do to that ONE phone, will affect ALL iPhones. If I put an app on my Dell laptop, it says *This will change the configuration of your Hard Drive*----but, it won't change EVERYBODY'S Dell laptop. Also, why would they then have to extend the courtesy to Russia, China, or whomever?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

Mother of man killed in San Bernardino terror attack BACKS Apple's fight to block the FBI from accessing his killer's iPhone

The price of freedom should sometimes mean death and succesfull terrorist attacks that would have failed in a society with less freedom. Every case is different as we weigh death vs freedom. In this case Apple a company that has been so successfully proprietary is claiming it can not keep control of program written for one phone.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Okay, guys----I just don't understand this..... Could someone please explain it to me? I don't understand why a program can't be written for that ONE phone, so that it can be given unlimited number of tries to come-up-with the passcode. It's sounding like you guys are saying whatever they do to that ONE phone, will affect ALL iPhones. If I put an app on my Dell laptop, it says *This will change the configuration of your Hard Drive*----but, it won't change EVERYBODY'S Dell laptop. Also, why would they then have to extend the courtesy to Russia, China, or whomever?
because your dell laptop isn't made exactly the same way as every other dell laptop. the iphone is a heavily controlled environment with no real custom elements, and thus any program that would unlock one iphone would also unlock every other iphone.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 5:19 am

If the FBI wants any wiretapping of Apple phones they must do it the normal way. By going to a federal judge and getting permission. I hope that Apple fights it.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 6:55 pm

Last night the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed the iCloud Password was changed during the first 24 hours of being in government hands.

DoJ also plans to file it's own writ to force Apple to make and handover the software for law enforcement within a week after the judge signs off.

At yesterday's press conference the DoJ says Apple is just doing this for profits and marketing, while Apple's main competitor is working with the government to fight terrorism.

This morning San Bernadino County Health Dept. says the FBI superiors forced them to change the passwords, the county even posted it on Twitter.

The FBI responded saying it is not true and is publicly questioning whether or not San Bernadino County Health Dept. is being paid off by Apple to do it.

San Bernadino County is now in trouble with the feds for going public with that information.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 8:14 pm

^ ^
Just how much is supposed to be sacrificed to "fight terrorism"?

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 10:35 pm

The second generation mobile phones (circa 1978 through 1990) could be easily monitored by anyone with a 'scanning all-band receiver' because the system used an analog transmission system-like an ordinary radio transmitter. The third generation digital phones are harder to monitor because they use digitally encoded and compressed transmission. However the government can tap mobile phones with the cooperation of the phone company.A device called an "IMSI-catcher" pretends to the mobile phones in its vicinity to be a legitimate base station of the mobile phone network, subjecting the communication between the phone and the network to a man-in-the-middle attack. This is possible because while the mobile phone has to authenticate itself to the mobile telephone network, the network does not authenticate itself to the phone

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

Raptor wrote:
^ ^

All of it, I think.

You know, just to be "safe."

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 1:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
^ ^

Welcome to America!

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:17 pm

http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/2016/0 ... -cook-now/

So those of you who didn't question the FBI in regards to Scalia and Bin Laden and thought the FBI had your best interest at heart now think the FBI is against you with the Apple controversy? Especially when it comes to terrorism and the safety of this country.

Savage does have a point.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 3:24 pm

nurseangela wrote:
http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/2016/02/michael-savage-newsletter-arrest-tim-cook-now/

So those of you who didn't question the FBI in regards to Scalia and Bin Laden and thought the FBI had your best interest at heart now think the FBI is against you with the Apple controversy? Especially when it comes to terrorism and the safety of this country.

Savage does have a point.
this being the same Savage that considers autism to be a fraud?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

Fugu wrote:

This guy should be retroactively aborted!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm

The feds are just using this as an excuse to get rid of encryption!

Never let a crisis go to waste! Fascists!