Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm

http://consumerist.com/2016/02/19/in-wa ... stigation/

Jeep has been after me to get a trailer hitch put on my Jeep Liberty Limited 2006 after there were several deaths from drivers being hit from behind and the gas tank blowing up. I didn't have time to have one put on (4 hr process) and I really didn't want that piece of crap on my vehicle. The Jeep company was after me continuously because I had an accident a year before the recall where someone hit me from behind. I didn't think a trailer hitch would really help and evidently it hasn't with 11 more deaths happening after the recall.

I'm thinking of making a sign and putting it on my rear window - "You Choose To Tailgate Behind Me and You Could Be Taking Your Life Into Your Own Hands - LITERALLY!" :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

This sounds like the same crip as the Ford Pinto debacle in which Ford big wigs decided it was better to let some poor folks die driving Pintos because it was cheaper to produce in an unsafe condition.

From Popular Mechanics/Automotive: "Reports range from 27 to 180 deaths as a result of rear-impact-related fuel tank fires in the Pinto...."

From Wikipedia: "The Pinto's fuel tank design came under public scrutiny when Mother Jones magazine published an article saying that Ford was aware of the tank's design flaw, was unwilling to pay for a redesign, and decided it would be cheaper to pay off possible lawsuits. The magazine obtained a cost-benefit analysis that it said Ford had used to compare the cost of repairs (Ford estimated the cost to be $11 per car) against the cost of settlements for deaths, injuries, and vehicle burnouts . The document became known as Ford's Pinto Memo."

I'd like to see some folks going to jail instead of the citizens being treated like a commodity. This is a corporate perk the corporate loving government allows apparently.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 5:02 pm

This is what happens when major corporations are controlled by sociopaths. It's all about the money.

What idiots approved the designs to begin with?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm

ZenDen wrote:
This sounds like the same crip as the Ford Pinto debacle in which Ford big wigs decided it was better to let some poor folks die driving Pintos because it was cheaper to produce in an unsafe condition.

From Popular Mechanics/Automotive: "Reports range from 27 to 180 deaths as a result of rear-impact-related fuel tank fires in the Pinto...."

From Wikipedia: "The Pinto's fuel tank design came under public scrutiny when Mother Jones magazine published an article saying that Ford was aware of the tank's design flaw, was unwilling to pay for a redesign, and decided it would be cheaper to pay off possible lawsuits. The magazine obtained a cost-benefit analysis that it said Ford had used to compare the cost of repairs (Ford estimated the cost to be $11 per car) against the cost of settlements for deaths, injuries, and vehicle burnouts . The document became known as Ford's Pinto Memo."

I'd like to see some folks going to jail instead of the citizens being treated like a commodity. This is a corporate perk the corporate loving government allows apparently.

Does anyone know what a consumer like myself can do in finding a vehicle next time that won't have a problem like this? This recall came out several years after I bought the Jeep. I like my Jeep, but now I'm too scared to buy another one. Is there a checklist somewhere that I can go by to know a certain vehicle is made properly?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:26 pm

nurseangela wrote:
ZenDen wrote:

Does anyone know what a consumer like myself can do in finding a vehicle next time that won't have a problem like this? This recall came out several years after I bought the Jeep. I like my Jeep, but now I'm too scared to buy another one. Is there a checklist somewhere that I can go by to know a certain vehicle is made properly?

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/car-safety/ or http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co. ... s/?image=2 (you're not in the uk, so this will mostly be for reference)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:46 pm

Fugu wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
ZenDen wrote:

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/car-safety/ or http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co. ... s/?image=2 (you're not in the uk, so this will mostly be for reference)

Thank you, Fugu. I appreciate that.

Darn, I flunked.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 7:34 pm

Get it fixed.The companies fault,no doubt about that.But what if you have to make a sudden stop like an animal in the road?The person behind you could have kids and be distracted.You don't want to be responsible for toasted toddlers.Just bring some books to read while they do the repairs.Not sure,but if you have a recall and don't get it fixed. You could be libel.
Just couldn't resist this.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 2:43 am

It sounds like a potential liability issue to me. If anyone was killed/injured due to a fuel tank fire/explosion any ambulance chasing personal injury attorney would use your refusal to get the hitch installed against you, especially if Jeep is paying for it. It'll probably be a receiver hitch like my 4runner has so it won't be that conspicuous and might even come in handy some day.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 10:00 am

That's why I never bought a jeep. The gas tank is like, right there in the back, you can see it. I'm sure there are aftermarket solutions that don't require a hitch.