Aspie woman fired by city, investigation

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2007, 4:26 am

I live in the Kansas City area, and on last night's news one of the local tv stations did an investigative piece about a woman w/ Asperger's who'd been fired from a city job after a number of years. She had great performance reviews, many compliments from members of the public. She was fired as 'unfit for duty,' apparently because she made complaints about longterm ongoing bullying against her. The city apparently made a few weak attempts to straighten things out, but finally decided the easiest course was to get rid of the one person who didn't fit in.

I'm glad to say the tv station's 'take' on this was very sympathetic to her, says that the city is going to review their actions on the matter, and the tv station has promised to follow-up on what's done about this. The poor woman was interviewed as part of the story & I really felt for her. It was obvious that she was upset by having lost this job she really loved (working in Animal Control for the police dept.), and also showed that she was functional and not in any way obviously 'weird.' I hope the coverage will help some people locally understand Aspies better.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

12 May 2007, 5:43 am

There must be a news article for this somewhere on the web. Care to find it for us?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 2:31 pm

The one good thing the media does for us...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2007, 12:25 am

Thanks for putting up the article link. It hadn't been up yet when I first saw the thing on tv.