Illegal Immigration is the Work of the Devil

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:33 pm

The people that I know who are most opposed to illegal immigration are immigrants that are not Mexican. Illegal Mexican immigrants get preferential treatment over other immigrants and are much less likely to be deported.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:39 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
The people that I know who are most opposed to illegal immigration are immigrants that are not Mexican. Illegal Mexican immigrants get preferential treatment over other immigrants and are much less likely to be deported.

In terms of people, say, overstaying VISAs, or committing crimes, you are correct. The steady inflow of illegal immigrants also delays legal immigrants who want desire to get in.

I, personally, am not in favor of deportation of every illegal immigrant, nor serious cut backs in general legal immigration. I do think we need to do something about the constant stream into undocumented people into the country, for security, internal safety, as well as basic humanitarian reasons (with people dying in the desert).

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:45 pm

jimservo wrote:
I, personally, am not in favor of deportation of every illegal immigrant, nor serious cut backs in general legal immigration. I do think we need to do something about the constant stream into undocumented people into the country, for security, internal safety, as well as basic humanitarian reasons (with people dying in the desert).

It's way too late to deport them now. They're too entrenched, it needed to be fixed decades ago, now it's a huge problem. There are so many of them in Texas that the Border patrol can't do anything because any politician that tries to do something about it will get voted out of office by all the naturalized illegals, it's actually kind of ironic.

Last edited by GoatOnFire on 01 May 2007, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:46 pm

Jimservo - I think, in addition to all of the reasons you've said we need to do something about immigration because our economy is pretty reliant on illegals in the workforce.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:50 pm

janicka wrote:
Jimservo - I think, in addition to all of the reasons you've said we need to do something about immigration because our economy is pretty reliant on illegals in the workforce.

It's a terrible injustice for everybody. Everybody loses except for a few greedy people. The illegals lose because they get taken advantage of by their bosses who work them like sweatshop workers for terrible wage because of the threat of having them deported. Most everyone else loses because these greedy bastards don't want to employ a worker that actually wants to be paid and have benefits.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 3:53 pm

(Goatonfire)statistically that's not correct. There are political preferences for who can legally immigrate to the US. Considering the sheer numbers of Mexicans that are here illegally, we can safely assume that they are not the preferred demographic that is welcome here by our gov't. That also contributes to the problem with detaining and deporting. there is just a huge number of people, You can apprehend millions and still have millions here. You are likely to deport more Mexicans and ignore more Mexicans. (the Chinese immigration is similar, though it's harder for them to get here and probably more noticeable)
Other countries are smaller and have less people, meaning it may be easier to apprehend them or allow them to immigrate legally. Also, gaining access to work visas depends on the US companies' need for those skilled people. So, people in European countries, India and the like can easily immigrate with high-level skills and quickly get green cards and all that. The US gov't is currently trying to cap that right now and the computer companies are having a shiite fit over it.

The immigrants that face the toughest hurdles to get here legally (besides Mexicans) are some Carribeans and Central Americans. The people that flee Central American countries are generally fleeing for political and safety reasons. But we don't recognize their problems and thus won't give them refugee status. Thus, they are put into the same boat as Mexicans, often using the same tactics to get here. Cubans are welcome here if they reach land, Haitians and Dominicans are not.

I personally back McCain's proposal to bring back the guest worker program. Many "illegals" are actually migrants that are not looking to milk the system but to work honestly and go back. (and forth). Bringing this back would likely help the Mexican economy by bringing higher wages to people that are definitely able to continue to work. Rather than being bled by blackmailers, coyotes and detention.

PS I took forever to post, this is in response to Goat on fire up there a couple ahead

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 7:04 pm

KimJ wrote:
(Goatonfire)statistically that's not correct. There are political preferences for who can legally immigrate to the US. Considering the sheer numbers of Mexicans that are here illegally, we can safely assume that they are not the preferred demographic that is welcome here by our gov't. That also contributes to the problem with detaining and deporting. there is just a huge number of people, You can apprehend millions and still have millions here. You are likely to deport more Mexicans and ignore more Mexicans. (the Chinese immigration is similar, though it's harder for them to get here and probably more noticeable)
Other countries are smaller and have less people, meaning it may be easier to apprehend them or allow them to immigrate legally. Also, gaining access to work visas depends on the US companies' need for those skilled people. So, people in European countries, India and the like can easily immigrate with high-level skills and quickly get green cards and all that. The US gov't is currently trying to cap that right now and the computer companies are having a shiite fit over it.

The immigrants that face the toughest hurdles to get here legally (besides Mexicans) are some Carribeans and Central Americans. The people that flee Central American countries are generally fleeing for political and safety reasons. But we don't recognize their problems and thus won't give them refugee status. Thus, they are put into the same boat as Mexicans, often using the same tactics to get here. Cubans are welcome here if they reach land, Haitians and Dominicans are not.

I personally back McCain's proposal to bring back the guest worker program. Many "illegals" are actually migrants that are not looking to milk the system but to work honestly and go back. (and forth). Bringing this back would likely help the Mexican economy by bringing higher wages to people that are definitely able to continue to work. Rather than being bled by blackmailers, coyotes and detention.

PS I took forever to post, this is in response to Goat on fire up there a couple ahead

I never said that the people I were talking about were all legal immigrants. I know an illegal family from Serbia who are very much in danger of being deported if they aren't very careful. They feel discriminated against because Mexican illegals get preference over other illegals, some of it for political reasons. Unlike most other countries Mexico is close enough to the US to have hordes of people swimming across which is the reason it makes it so difficult to enforce, that is also why it they have the toughest hurdles to get here legally, their proximity makes it an attractive option so too many of them will want to come over. They don't have to go thousands of miles, they just have to swim across the border, which is the reason so many of them decide to immigrate here. Other countries don't have that kind of access which makes it much harder for them to immigrate illegaly, that is part of the reason there are so many more Mexican immigrants.

I already said on another post that it wouldn't make sense to deport them at this point.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2007, 10:13 am

The argument that our economy can’t function without illegal aliens is nonsense. Between 1924 and 1965 immigration was capped at 100,000 per year. During that time America fought a world war, developed atomic technology, put a man in space, and experienced the greatest economic expansion in history. This was all accomplished without illegal aliens. The grass still got mowed, the crops picked, and the meat packed. Minus the great depression, people earned a decent living and there wasn’t a shortage of jobs.

Equally baseless arguments are that there are so many illegal aliens it would be impossible to deport them all, or that we don’t have the resources to fully guard the border. America has the means to occupy counties on the other side of the world. U.S troops currently patrol the Iraqi border with Syria, yet the government says it lacks the personnel to adequately protect its own border? Nonsense. The Border Patrol has sufficient means to stop criminal-illegal immigration right now. If they were given orders to shoot on sight the problem would disappear almost overnight. America has one of the largest law enforcement apparatuses in the world. We don’t lack the means. What we lack is the political will, thanks to the business and ethnic lobby interests combined with a mass-media (exception: Lou Dobbs) that favors the transformation of America into a mongrelized third-world slave plantation.

The consequences of surrendering America’s borders have personally affected many people, myself included. Jobs are scarce in my area. A few months ago I inquired about a job advertised only to find out that applications were no longer being accepted. The reason; 130 people had already applied for the four positions available. On another occasion I approached a business seeking employment and was told flat out “we already have all the Guatemalans we need.” People have good reason to be outraged at the government for ignoring the welfare of its citizens.

There is no reason to suppress a viewpoint unless it is true, because a false viewpoint can easily be combated with facts and logic, while the truth cannot be combated except by lies which are vulnerable to refutation.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 2:32 pm

I don't think that number includes the migrants of the Bracero program that was active from WWII-1960's. Which is what essentially McCain (and Bush at times) has been proposing to bring back in a modified form. Migrants are often erroneously counted as immigrants and I've heard that many people who intended to be migrants get stuck here.