have you seen this campain ad featuring autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 11:08 pm

a friend shared this on facebook and i felt i had to share it here

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 2:31 am

Link to thread discussing the relationships between Donald Trump and the former CEO of Autism Speaks

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:58 am

So they're saying Trump has autism?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 6:32 am

EzraS wrote:

That was THE film clip (everyone has seen by now, that you should be aware of) of Trump mocking the reporter he encountered at a previous event- a reporter who had a disability (dont know if it was autism).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 12:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That was THE film clip (everyone has seen by now, that you should be aware of) of Trump mocking the reporter he encountered at a previous event- a reporter who had a disability (dont know if it was autism).

I think it shows how Trump would ridicule anyone he thinks has wronged him, and who has what Trump perceives as a vulnerability.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2016, 3:19 am

It displays Trump being an asshat mocking someone with a disability. A five second search hasn't shown what the reporter's disability specifically is. But there are a number of things he could be mocking with the hand-flapping, from autism, to epilepsy, to cerebral palsy. In any case, it's petty schoolyard bully douchiness.

As mentioned above, the guy has a ragingly ableist history in general, including hosting fundraisers for Autism Speaks and being self-proclaimed close friends with its founders.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 11:59 am

Serge Kovaleski suffers from a joint disorder, apparently. It's nothing neurological.

But like others have said, mocking any kind of disability is hurtful and wrong, and blatantly inappropriate for someone with presidential ambitions.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I think it shows how Trump would ridicule anyone he thinks has wronged him, and who has what Trump perceives as a vulnerability.

I've seen the clip before. But I didn't know it was linked to a particular disabled reporter (sorry I wasn't more aware of it). So I guess the message is, if Trump made fun of this guy, he'd also make fun of kids with autism. That's all I was asking, what was the message they were trying to make. Looks like I figured it out.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

EzraS wrote:

No----but, I wouldn't be surprised if he does----ESPECIALLY since, more-than-once, when watching his youngest son, Barron (Melania's kid), I thought he (Barron) was autistic.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

I don't like it.

It's like when they fake sympathy for gay people to grab pink votes too.

Tacky, cheesy and low. This is insulting the intelligence of the average voter, especially the Aspie ones since the ad clearly focuses on emotions rather than reasoning and logic.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 7:26 pm

It's not often that a non-gory video causes me to throw up in my mouth.
That news story about Trump was everywhere, and the reporter he mocked doesn't even have a mental disability. He has a joint condition. So autism was just brought up for sympathy because everybody associates autism with poor helpless little kids. So not only is it a blatant, in your face lie, it's emotionally manipulative at the expense of everyone with autism.