Scientists Discuss Making a Synthetic Human Genome

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 2:11 am

This isn't from the National Enquirer, it's from the New York Times!

Scientists Talk Privately About Creating a Synthetic Human Genome
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/scien ... enome.html

Quote:
But such an attempt would raise numerous ethical issues. Could scientists create humans with certain kinds of traits, perhaps people born and bred to be soldiers? Or might it be possible to make copies of specific people?
""

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 1:59 pm

Brave New World.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 3:08 pm

I can see it now: Joshua, son of none.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 8:14 pm

Sounds amazing and crazy.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 8:46 pm

Well, of course it's possible, the human genome is built on 4 freaking bio-chemicals, we program in binary, life programs in quaternary-- it's just a math and sequencing game in either discipline. Obviously our technical ability is limited at this point, but that's just a matter of time. Of course they didn't mention ethics-- anyone that wants to change the world doesn't care about the consequences, only the rewards. Homogenizing a gene pool is never a good idea, cutting out variation only increases weakness, yet animals are driven to do it-- it's nature's way of recycling, and we're just moving on down the conveyor belt like every other species. So much for our allegedly superior intelligence...

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 9:58 pm

Technology will one day advance to the point it's fully possible to synthesis all DNA.

Whether or not synthetic DNA results in viable life is yet to remain to be seen.
Hopefully the law and treaties will catch up and put all the possible negativity to bed.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 4:33 pm

We Must Science Fiction This At Once!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:00 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
I see that you and I read the same book. However, it was about a cloned individual, not a synthetic human.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2016, 5:27 pm

Ah, journalists and their way to make scary end-of-the-world stories with researchers making new bacteria species in labs. :roll: Nice way to sell more newspapers.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 5:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
I see that you and I read the same book. However, it was about a cloned individual, not a synthetic human.

And if you get the other inference, he's now re-quoting Scripture. I'm getting a very strong ethical dilemma with his statement.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 10:29 pm

Would a human being generated from an artificial genome have rights, or would it be the property of its manufacturers?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 11:32 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Would a human being generated from an artificial genome have rights, or would it be the property of its manufacturers?

Property of its manufacturers, until it's 18-- just like humans now.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 3:51 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

In the United States human beings are not -legally- property. They have all the rights and immunities the law provides. All persons born in the United States are citizens and have their constitutional rights. BUT.... a human formed from an artificial genome and brought to completion in an artificial womb might not be considered a natural born citizen.

Any naturally born person born in the U.S. has legal rights and cannot be treated as property.

Read the 14 th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 4:52 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

In the United States human beings are not -legally- property. They have all the rights and immunities the law provides. All persons born in the United States are citizens and have their constitutional rights. BUT.... a human formed from an artificial genome and brought to completion in an artificial womb might not be considered a natural born citizen.

Any naturally born person born in the U.S. has legal rights and cannot be treated as property.

Calm down, it was a joke referring to parental authority...

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 7:07 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

Calm down, it was a joke referring to parental authority...

It might be a joke, but it does bring up quite a few legal, moral and ethical dilemmas that will need to be addressed.