Scotland seeks independent entry to the European Union

Page 7 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm

one thing that just occurred to me is, if spain won't support scotland for fear of encouraging separatists, then what about belgium? wouldn't they be the obvious ones to be fearing a split? unsurprisingly, the first thing i get when i google scotland spain belgium european union is "Spain and Belgium would veto independent Scotland in EU". i also see france mentioned (occitania?). would scotland have any way to gain belgium's support?

also if the discussion starts to build momentum internationally, i would find it odd if italy wouldn't also join the "separatists have no place here" club. italy is barely even consolidated as a unified nation. if they're not so concerned about it so far, i imagine it's only because it's (so far) very unlikely that they would ever leave the eu in any foreseeable future. but the way things are going, it's clear that there is a small but real chance that the eu might become irrelevant over the next decade or two, and i'm sure politicians are aware of that

----

apparently the thing with france would be corsica. seriously? corsica? independent? that sounds to me like a very bad idea no matter what. or do they want to join italy or something?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

I seriously doubt any separatist movement in western Europe has any chance of succeeding, but I’ve always found the usual slippery-slope argument amazing: “Yeah, we have to stay firm denying the people of this region the right to choose whether they want to remain part of a country they found themselves in through a long and complex historical process having little to do with a modern democracy, let alone their will as 21st-century citizens, in case other people elsewhere want that right, too”.

EDIT – Tpyo.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Last edited by Spiderpig on 30 Jul 2016, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 7:57 pm

i guess people today are used to the idea of countries as stable and sort of eternal, as if countries were the natural order of things, and then it's not so hard to sell the idea that separatism is inherently "bad". and then on the other hand there'll be the ones who will react by defending unrecognized nation states as inherently "good". when, in fact, neither makes any real sense. even cultural cohesion (which is rare nowadays) offers no guarantee of a viable political entity

i don't know if there was any time or place in history where reason was a significant factor in politics against upper-minority interests and mass sentiment. it would be very interesting to see an example if someone could come up with one. i suppose it's not strictly impossible, but i really can't think of any

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 5:43 am

It's funny how we tend to think of countries as being stable but even recent history shows they aren't.In my lifetime the following countries have broken up or merged :
Germany
Czechoslovakia
Yugoslavia
Cyprus
USSR
Pakistan
Ethiopia
Sudan
China (acquired Hong Kong)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 5:55 am

Empathy wrote:

I don't know what gender fits in with this, but the Scottish referendum business needs someone in charge who can back their self-governance. Take Gordon Brown for one, he was born on exactly the same day and month as me, but for some reason, I felt that he always was a Scot. I'd want to fight for my homeland if it was me in charge.

Are you disappointed that polls say we want to stay in the UK and trying to get rid of us ? :)
Gordon Brown is obviously a proud Scot but is also a staunch Unionist.In the the independence referendum he almost
single-handedly turned the tide in the last days before voting with rousing speeches in favour of the UK.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm

Often polls suggest the opposite maths of what everybody wants. I am committed to my island status, that's why my vote was for leave and I have no regrets thus far. 8)