Licensed to carry black man shot by police

Page 3 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:41 am

Lukeda420 wrote:
I don't get why it's so hard for some people to Believe that cops make unjustified shootings. It's petty clear that this guy shouldn't have been shot.

It happens, but so far I see nothing that would convince me that this one was not justified.

He had a firearm on his lap when he was stopped. Why was that? Do honest people drive around with handguns on their laps? Not unless they expect to have need of it in the immediate future.

Here's a clue: if you are driving around and have a firearm visible on your lap and are stopped by the police, it doesn't matter if you are white, black, brown, yellow, or something else, you had better keep very still and do whatever you are told to do by the officer and then only very slowly. No sudden moves.

By the way, regarding his license to carry, there is no evidence that he even had one. To have one in Minnesota, you have to have training in the safe use of firearms. Carrying a handgun on his lap is hardly the safe use of a handgun.

Furthermore, it is being reported that he didn't claim to have a license to carry. It was his girlfriend who told the office that he had a license to carry. Even if he did have a license to carry, it should not have been sitting on his lap while driving around or during a traffic stop.

Why didn't he stash the handgun underneath the seat? It is quite possible that the officer would have taken his and his girlfriend's information from their licenses, asked a few questions, and let them go on their way.

Having a handgun on his lap indicates to me that he thought he might need it in a hurry. If I had been the officer and saw the handgun and saw him make any sudden move, I hope that I would have shot, too.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:46 am

eric76 wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
I don't get why it's so hard for some people to Believe that cops make unjustified shootings. It's petty clear that this guy shouldn't have been shot.

It happens, but so far I see nothing that would convince me that this one was not justified.

He had a firearm on his lap when he was stopped. Why was that? Do honest people drive around with handguns on their laps? Not unless they expect to have need of it in the immediate future.

Here's a clue: if you are driving around and have a firearm visible on your lap and are stopped by the police, it doesn't matter if you are white, black, brown, yellow, or something else, you had better keep very still and do whatever you are told to do by the officer and then only very slowly. No sudden moves.

By the way, regarding his license to carry, there is no evidence that he even had one. To have one in Minnesota, you have to have training in the safe use of firearms. Carrying a handgun on his lap is hardly the safe use of a handgun.

Furthermore, it is being reported that he didn't claim to have a license to carry. It was his girlfriend who told the office that he had a license to carry. Even if he did have a license to carry, it should not have been sitting on his lap while driving around or during a traffic stop.

Why didn't he stash the handgun underneath the seat? It is quite possible that the officer would have taken his and his girlfriend's information from their licenses, asked a few questions, and let them go on their way.

Having a handgun on his lap indicates to me that he thought he might need it in a hurry. If I had been the officer and saw the handgun and saw him make any sudden move, I hope that I would have shot, too.

Or maybe, he put the gun out in the open so the cop could see it, and wouldn't be accused of hiding a deadly weapon.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:57 am

This was a police execution of someone who was driving while black, plain and simple.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Or maybe, he put the gun out in the open so the cop could see it, and wouldn't be accused of hiding a deadly weapon.

If he did, then he was incredibly stupid to have it where he could reach it quickly and easily.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Minnesota law does not require him to tell the officer he has a concealed carry gun, unless explicitly asked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Jul 2016, 12:11 pm

This is the live stream one right? I don't know what precipitated the video but it seems like one of these chicken**** cops got scared and unloaded on this guy. Hopefully the dashcam and obviously a bodycam if there was one would help explain some things.

The problem with all these is how to proceed, you want justice of course but how do you stop these things from happening in the future?

The awful thing about this video is that I think the couple's daughter was in the car along with them since I hear the fiance comment on her when she's told to leave to car, I don't understand why this happened.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm

eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

If he did, then he was incredibly stupid to have it where he could reach it quickly and easily.

Maybe Castile was just scared (considering the history between blacks and cops), and so did a dumb thing by leaving the gun out in view, thinking the cop wouldn't be alarmed at finding a hidden gun. And what sort of robber worth his salt commits a crime, then leaves the gun out in full view? That, and if he was a robber, why wasn't any stolen money or goods found on him or in the car?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:24 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Minnesota law does not require him to tell the officer he has a concealed carry gun, unless explicitly asked.

Same answer I gave above.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 4:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe Castile was just scared (considering the history between blacks and cops), and so did a dumb thing by leaving the gun out in view, thinking the cop wouldn't be alarmed at finding a hidden gun. And what sort of robber worth his salt commits a crime, then leaves the gun out in full view? That, and if he was a robber, why wasn't any stolen money or goods found on him or in the car?

The website linked earlier, shows the woman holding a box of 'Menthol Newports', the same brand of cigarettes that were taken in the robbery. Definitely a curious fact.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 4:09 pm

He very well might not have been the robber. It doesn't really matter.

The reason he got shot appears to be that he had a ready to use handgun on his lap and was reaching for something, possibly the handgun.

It doesn't matter what race you are -- you do something like that and you stand a very good chance of being shot immediately.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The website linked earlier, shows the woman holding a box of 'Menthol Newports', the same brand of cigarettes that were taken in the robbery. Definitely a curious fact.

No money found in the car? No identifiable stolen property, other than a commonly smoked cigarette brand? And just who the hell brings their four year old child to the commission of a crime?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:53 pm

eric76 wrote:
He very well might not have been the robber. It doesn't really matter.

The reason he got shot appears to be that he had a ready to use handgun on his lap and was reaching for something, possibly the handgun.

It doesn't matter what race you are -- you do something like that and you stand a very good chance of being shot immediately.

Or he may have just been reaching for his wallet as the police officer who shot him had asked him to do.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 1:06 am

Philando Castile was not wanted for armed robbery:

http://www.snopes.com/philando-castile- ... d-robbery/

The Conservative Treehouse are a bunch of liars. In addition to this, their claim that Castile had a gun on his lap is false. Then they try rope in that Newport cigarettes crap. Jesus.

And, damn, the police didn't say that Castile didn't have a gun permit, only that he didn't get one from their office.

We don't need this stirring $#!7 up lying crap as we try to resolve this crisis peacefully.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2016, 2:48 am

beneficii wrote:

This is arguing over semantics. He matched the description of a suspect. The point of this is not "See, he was a criminal," it's that the police had a legitimate reason for stopping him. They weren't just bigots randomly pulling over black drivers and looking for excuses to murder them.

I've been detained and questioned because I matched a description. Unless you live like a hermit, someday it'll happen to you too. This is often how the police find suspects.

Quote:
We don't need this stirring $#!7 up lying crap as we try to resolve this crisis peacefully.

Loudly proclaiming your verdict in a case like this, before all the evidence is in, is arguably "stirring $#!7 up." It sure isn't "resolving this crisis peacefully."

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 3:14 am

luan78zao wrote:
beneficii wrote:

This is arguing over semantics. He matched the description of a suspect. The point of this is not "See, he was a criminal," it's that the police had a legitimate reason for stopping him. They weren't just bigots randomly pulling over black drivers and looking for excuses to murder them.

I've been detained and questioned because I matched a description. Unless you live like a hermit, someday it'll happen to you too. This is often how the police find suspects.

Quote:

Loudly proclaiming your verdict in a case like this, before all the evidence is in, is arguably "stirring $#!7 up." It sure isn't "resolving this crisis peacefully."

They had no evidence for it. They made it up. That is lying and stirring crap up.

You guys need to accept that there is a problem with the way we police African-Americans. Making crap up to say "oh the shooting was justified and he had it coming" is low-down, especially when YOU don't have any evidence.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 3:26 am

eric76 wrote:
Do honest people drive around with handguns on their laps?

Yes. Sometimes mine digs into me while I'm seated in the car, so I put it in my lap with the barrel tucked under my leg to hold it in place. Regardless, it's not illegal to do so.