Couple attacks Autistic teen photographing them

Page 3 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm

AspE wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Is he a street photography artist or is he a deviant - who knows? It doesn't matter. And obviously he was assaulted. That's not the issue either. His behaviour was inappropriate and invasive. He may be coddled and told he did nothing wrong, but hopefully the incident will stick with him and he'll think better next time.

His behavior was legal and appropriate for a person in public where people take pictures of other people. Those attackers will go to jail.

You're mixing up legal with acceptable. It was certainly neither appropriate nor acceptable. If they ever catch the couple, I doubt they would go to jail. Perhaps you are overzealous in your defense of the kid. Honestly, do you really think that letting a kid sit in a parked car to take pictures of random people is a good idea?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

Quote:
You're mixing up legal with acceptable. It was certainly neither appropriate nor acceptable. If they ever catch the couple, I doubt they would go to jail. Perhaps you are overzealous in your defense of the kid. Honestly, do you really think that letting a kid sit in a parked car to take pictures of random people is a good idea?

Yes, I would in fact encourage him. Just like I would encourage any other young artist. What if it were a pencil drawing and not a camera? What's the difference?

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 6:19 pm

I'm not even sure it's that unacceptable. It's in public and people shouldn't expect to be invisible. Plenty of people take pictures out in public.... Google "pictures of strangers" and you'll see millions of hits. So what...

But people should expect to not be attacked. This is kind of easy.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 6:25 pm

Indulge me here: what if the roles had been reversed? Two adults in their own car taking photos of people passing by, and a young AS person trespasses into their private space (their car in this instance) and assaults both of them. Would you have made the same response? Would the reporter have made the same response? What would the likely headline have been in that scenario?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:27 pm

B19 wrote:
Indulge me here: what if the roles had been reversed? Two adults in their own car taking photos of people passing by, and a young AS person trespasses into their private space (their car in this instance) and assaults both of them. Would you have made the same response? Would the reporter have made the same response? What would the likely headline have been in that scenario?

Turn about is fair play.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

Autistic wants to take photos of strangers.

Autistic (me) does not want strangers taking my photo.

Why do his rights overrule mine?

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

Because what he did was legal, and your "right" to assault others is not a right at all. (Also, there is no right to this kind of privacy in public places).

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

I'm not sure if this is true or just a tale, but I've heard that there are some cultures that believe taking a photograph steals a bit of the subject's soul. In these times, though, image taking is ubiquitous and nobody has much of a soul left anyway. You can talk about your rights all you want, but you run the risk of having someone react badly.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2016, 6:41 pm

B19 wrote:
Because what he did was legal, and your "right" to assault others is not a right at all. (Also, there is no right to this kind of privacy in public places).

Precisely where did I mention assaulting anyone?

Autism Social Forum

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 6:44 pm

Ok. I thought you were referring to the subject of the thread.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

B19 wrote:
...there is no right to this kind of privacy in public places....

Can you imagine the courts justifying such "privacy" in public spaces? If so, people could "legally" disappear (if not "physically" disappear, like Jason Bourne). "I am sorry Ms. Police Officer, but you can't arrest me vandalizing this public sidewalk that I am walking along, because I maintain an expectation to privacy under the law...."

And, the Magna Carta wept.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

Notions of privacy are very different for todays teens then older generations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2016, 6:50 pm

B19 wrote:

No, I was simply wonder why someone's "right" to photograph a complete stranger overrules their objection to having their photo taken. Perhaps I could claim infringement of my religious beliefs and a right not to have my soul stolen?

Autism Social Forum

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:51 pm

I bet those thugs are proud of themselves and smirking that they got away with it.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:56 pm

Jute wrote:
B19 wrote:

No, I was simply wonder why someone's "right" to photograph a complete stranger overrules their objection to having their photo taken. Perhaps I could claim infringement of my religious beliefs and a right not to have my soul stolen?

Just like you're right to say something isn't overruled by someone's objection that they don't want to hear what you want to say.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

AspE wrote:
Jute wrote:
B19 wrote:

Just like you're right to say something isn't overruled by someone's objection that they don't want to hear what you want to say.

But that's not true. There are plenty of things that some people might want to say which the law forbids them from saying because other people do not want to hear those things being said.

Autism Social Forum