Couple attacks Autistic teen photographing them

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

Jute wrote:
B19 wrote:
Ok. I thought you were referring to the subject of the thread.

No, I was simply wonder why someone's "right" to photograph a complete stranger overrules their objection to having their photo taken. Perhaps I could claim infringement of my religious beliefs and a right not to have my soul stolen?

Legal facts about photography:

You don't have a right not to have your photo taken in public. No such right exists.

You have a right to ask someone not to take your photo, and they can oblige you or not as they choose.

No one has a right to use a photo of you in a commercial project without your signed release, but anyone with a camera has a right to take your image in any public place as long as they only use that image for non-commercial purposes.

You can claim whatever you want about your soul, but courts have already settled these issues.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm

why are so many people downplaying the fact that the thugs trespassed on the private property of the autistic family? that the thugs reached into the autistic family's car and committed violence? the majority of the fault lies with the thugs.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 9:56 pm

I don't really get this either, AB. It surprised me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:05 pm

B19 wrote:
I don't really get this either, AB. It surprised me.

seems there isn't a lot of brotherly or sisterly love among us aspies. :|

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm

Actually I think there is a lot, and this thread is perhaps misleading in that respect.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm

B19 wrote:
Actually I think there is a lot, and this thread is perhaps misleading in that respect.

so IOW certain topics make us forget to love one another? that doesn't sound like a very durable kinda love to me :scratch:

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 10:22 pm

(sending love to auntblabby)

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm

Of course different people hold different sets of values. I have an absolute distaste for thuggery, and you too probably AB, I suppose the basic value sets which each of us individually hold dear naturally exerts an influence on how we respond to things.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 11:21 pm

Nine7752 wrote:
(sending love to auntblabby)

generating and sending love towards Nine :heart:

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2016, 11:28 pm

Here is a video from the BBC today, where privacy was considered worth invading in order to demonstrate abuse of an autistic person (a pretend autistic person in this case). I am interested in hearing opinions on this invasion of privacy, (whether it is justified and why) particularly from those who thought the couple's assault on the boy in this thread was justified.

My own view is that the BBC were justified in videoing this man without his permission or knowledge.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-37456884

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 11:49 pm

^^^ I agree with the whistleblowing here, it needed to be exposed. but i'm sure there are aspies here who would disagree with me.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 12:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
why are so many people downplaying the fact that the thugs trespassed on the private property of the autistic family? that the thugs reached into the autistic family's car and committed violence? the majority of the fault lies with the thugs.

My opinion - Because it's more socially acceptable to beat up someone physically weaker for annoying you than it is to annoy the stronger party in the first place. Note who is physically able to beat whom up is important: if this power relationship were reversed, the annoyer (who would probably be intentionally and competently bullying the weaker party, the latter being previously minding their own business) would retaliate again to the annoyee's retaliation, beating them to a pulp. This would most likely be perceived as both funny and well-deserved by onlookers, who would blame the mauled party for naïvely wandering into the bully's territory.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 2:03 am

Has anyone actually said that the reaction of the couple in the OP was justified? I've heard understandable, and I've heard reasons why taking stranger's pictures in public could be considered rude, objectionable, aggressive, etc, but I haven't seen anyone actually say that physically attacking the photographer was okay.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 3:33 am

it is like a lot of people here actually seem to admire bullies, like they have internalized the Darwinian memes of our society, instead of resisting them. and YES, one poster here said: "Getting a bit roughed up for taking these pictures might do him some good, because his mother is certainly not teaching him well. And frankly, the consequences could have been a lot worse."
AFAIC that execrable bit reminds me of my dad saying "be glad I didn't use a whip on you." it IS an endorsement of violence. at least one person here did endorse violence.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2016, 6:38 am

I certainly don't condone violence of any sort and at no point in any of my posts have I indicated otherwise. I also don't condone invasion of privacy. Maybe I'll wear a Burkha in future to prevent soul stealing.

Where was it settled in courts that photos could be taken of unwilling subjects in public places? There are quite a number of countries on this planet and the same laws don't hold sway in them all.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 7:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
it is like a lot of people here actually seem to admire bullies, like they have internalized the Darwinian memes of our society, instead of resisting them. and YES, one poster here said: "Getting a bit roughed up for taking these pictures might do him some good, because his mother is certainly not teaching him well. And frankly, the consequences could have been a lot worse."
AFAIC that execrable bit reminds me of my dad saying "be glad I didn't use a whip on you." it IS an endorsement of violence. at least one person here did endorse violence.

For the record, I'm not for thuggery. And I understand why the kid would be disturbed by this experience. My point is not that the attack was justified, but that it was predictable. The world is not all rainbows and butterflies. There are dangerous people in it and pretending this isn't the case is leaving yourself vulnerable.