Another inappropriate Halloween costume story!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/student-dr ... 22032.html

Black face BAD! in this case yet Tropic Thunder some funny (supposed to be funny) fake war movie with Robert Downy Jr. in blackface LOL! funny!

It's OK! For Hollywood to do it! Yet not regular people in society!! !! COME ON!

Don't think that movie made much and YES it had blackface controversy but it was still MADE!

Yet! Lets dress like chinese.Japan stereotypes is ok????

Double standard IMO.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

I can offend with the best of them, but people are getting beaten up, for political statements, now -- like wearing the wrong baseball cap.

I'm built like Herman Munster or the Sasquatch from Harry and Hendersons. I'd barely need to wear a costume, have been unphased by sucker punches, so far -- luckily.

But, how will pjw's advice work for a more-fragile person.

Are liberals supposed to politely listen to their financial lifeline being taken away from them, and just give up. Or, based on past experience, would they do anything, humanly possible, no matter how low, to maintain the illusion of prosperity and moral authority.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 3:39 pm

To me it depends on the intention behind the blackface costume. Are they Michael Jordan, are they one of their heroes for Halloween and that hero happens to be black so they paint all their visible skin black. Did they wanted to be a character that happens to be black? What if they wanted to be Uncle Remus?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

Some people are just overly sensitive and lack a sense of humor, but on the other hand it is certainly possible to go over the line and create a truly offensive costume.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm

I think it's more affable, to admit, when you resemble a certain remark, assuming that the stereotype is not terribly illegal or does not involve harming another person. Think of how disarming it would be, if you just owned it.