Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 12:35 pm

The fundamentalist Christian cartoonist Jack Chick, known for the "Chick Tracks" died over the weekend.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

adoylelb90815 wrote:
The fundamentalist Christian cartoonist Jack Chick, known for the "Chick Tracks" died over the weekend.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Chick was quite a character. He had obvious artistic talent, but he marched to his own drummer and didn't care what his detractors thought of him or his works. That obit doesn't say if Chick ever belonged to a formal church congregation; it seems that his goal was to push his own unique version of Christianity. Also, Chick's work wasn't 100% hellfire and damnation. I have neighbors who are Slavic Protestants, and for Easter they gave me an invitation to their church and a Chick tract called "A Love Story".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 2:33 am

I remember as a child, my fundamentalist oldest brother giving me a seminal jack t. chick tract, "THIS WAS YOUR LIFE." :o

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 11:00 am

Quote:
That obit doesn't say if Chick ever belonged to a formal church congregation...

I bet he's been run out of churches.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 4:52 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:

I can bet one of the reasons for that is because he decried how many southern churches turned away the poor and hippies and wrote about it in a few of his tracts.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

That brings back memories.

Rest in peace.

Since I refuse to celebrate a death, I will just say that I hope he brought marshmallows.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 7:30 pm

I still have my "this WAS your life!" tract my brother gave me in 1970.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 5:00 pm

Quote:

friedmacguffins wrote:

auntblabby wrote:
I can bet one of the reasons for that is because he decried how many southern churches turned away the poor and hippies and wrote about it in a few of his tracts.

Because Southern Baptist churches were being run like pay-to-play businesses, they grew very careful about what sort of doctrines they would preach.

Being irreproachable, did turn into a discussion about public image. We were asked to sign contracts.

Eventually, it became watered-down and self-helpy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 6:56 pm

are the southern churches the ones doing the "prosperity gospel" stuff now?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 7:16 pm

Quote:

The distinction is one of doctrine and not geographical location.

In general, those Pentecostal, miracle-working, holy rollers believe that a person can lose their salvation. (Arminianism) The miracle is not an unmerited act of grace, for them, because you are supposed to be spiritually-fit, clean, by way of wholesome living. They call that "holiness."

Baptists usually believe that you can never lose your salvation (Calvinism) but that miracles have ceased since Old Testament Times. (Cessationism.)

These worldviews have probably battled to the point of utter demoralization, as the newer "non-denominationals" have no fixed doctrines and reject labels. One pastor, acquaintance of mine was not familiar with the old lingo, when asked his opinions on God. It's really not discussed, anymore.

More than a few circulate pamphlets from the Catholic-headed World Council on Churches, some of which are not necessarily Christian, at all, negating the divide between Protestants and the papacy, which they were protesting, between Christians and non-Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07dPzM5q43c

It might have come straight from the pen of Chick.

Sorry, Catholics, this goes beyond the teachings of Peter, I should think, though the incense and pretty buildings were very nice.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 12:50 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:

The distinction is one of doctrine and not geographical location.

In general, those Pentecostal, miracle-working, holy rollers believe that a person can lose their salvation. (Arminianism) The miracle is not an unmerited act of grace, for them, because you are supposed to be spiritually-fit, clean, by way of wholesome living. They call that "holiness."

Baptists usually believe that you can never lose your salvation (Calvinism) but that miracles have ceased since Old Testament Times. (Cessationism.)

These worldviews have probably battled to the point of utter demoralization, as the newer "non-denominationals" have no fixed doctrines and reject labels. One pastor, acquaintance of mine was not familiar with the old lingo, when asked his opinions on God. It's really not discussed, anymore.

More than a few circulate pamphlets from the Catholic-headed World Council on Churches, some of which are not necessarily Christian, at all, negating the divide between Protestants and the papacy, which they were protesting, between Christians and non-Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07dPzM5q43c

It might have come straight from the pen of Chick.

Sorry, Catholics, this goes beyond the teachings of Peter, I should think, though the incense and pretty buildings were very nice.

Even Luther and Calvin refused to say Catholics weren't Christians. Luther argued Catholics were Christians as they clung to the cross for their salvation. Rather, his fight was with the corrupt leadership in Rome who had made salvation something to be attained through payment with either money (indulgences) or good works.
Incidentally, while we Lutherans believe unconditional grace is an unearned gift, and that we can't even believe in God without Christ's sacrifice, given to us by the Holy Spirit, we still believe it's still more than possible for a believer to fall from grace. We have far more in common with Calvinism than with Arminianism, though there are obviously disagreements.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 12:52 am

Jack Chick lived to age 92, huh? Goes to show you, only the good die young.

ThatGirlInTheTower
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2016, 1:02 am

RIP Jack. May you be find yourself surrounded with endless Y-holes in the afterlife, whatever form it takes. Thanks for the laughs.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 10:24 am

My sentiments here and here as well, esp. the one called 'Dead to Rights' which is particularly fitting. :twisted:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

Seems like everyone has seen/read a Chick tract.

Guess he accomplished what he set out to do.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

I hope he gets the answers he was seeking where he is now.