Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 6:11 am

An American tragedy.

"The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency is nothing less than a tragedy for the American republic, a tragedy for the Constitution, and a triumph for the forces, at home and abroad, of nativism, authoritarianism, misogyny, and racism. Trump’s shocking victory, his ascension to the Presidency, is a sickening event in the history of the United States and liberal democracy. On January 20, 2017, we will bid farewell to the first African-American President—a man of integrity, dignity, and generous spirit—and witness the inauguration of a con who did little to spurn endorsement by forces of xenophobia and white supremacy. It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound anxiety.

There are, inevitably, miseries to come: an increasingly reactionary Supreme Court; an emboldened right-wing Congress; a President whose disdain for women and minorities, civil liberties and scientific fact, to say nothing of simple decency, has been repeatedly demonstrated. Trump is vulgarity unbounded, a knowledge-free national leader who will not only set markets tumbling but will strike fear into the hearts of the vulnerable, the weak, and, above all, the many varieties of Other whom he has so deeply insulted. The African-American Other. The Hispanic Other. The female Other. The Jewish and Muslim Other. The most hopeful way to look at this grievous event—and it’s a stretch—is that this election and the years to follow will be a test of the strength, or the fragility, of American institutions. It will be a test of our seriousness and resolve."

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... nald-trump

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 6:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The nightmare has become a reality. American's obviously preferred a narcissistic ,racist, serial abuser of women over a competent and intelligent woman. Doesn't say much for the character of the average American.

Some saying change was needed but Trump?! ! !, and that Sanders wouldn't have lost the blue States.
Who do the Democrats choose for 2020?

the democrats are FINISHED as a party, in the historical dustbin along with the whigs.

I'd advise the Democratic party to stick it out, because I have to think Trump won't stand a snowball's chance in hell four years from now, after he drives the country into the ground.

If he does totally f**k up impeachment is an option.

and a possibility.

Impeachment wouldn't be a good idea; if Trump is impeached then Mike Pence become president, which is not better, and Trump voters will blame the failure of the next years policies on the impeachment thus opening the rise of another intolerant populist. Better to let Trump fail, thus his supporters won't be able to make excuses.

mark224
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2016, 8:47 am

ArielsSong wrote:
So difficult, watching from the UK.

Brexit, and now this.

It's not even the consequences that hurt the most, though they are utterly terrifying. It's the message from the voters that hurts.

It's the fact that the Brexit vote and the Trump vote are expressions of hate.

These are ordinary people that hate others, and think they're more important than anyone else, and want to hurt others so much that they vote for the option that just damages other people. That's who the voters are. And they're not a small minority. We're dealing with millions and millions of people in supposedly developed countries, who are voting to hurt other people just because they hate that other people have freedom and safety. They would rather people die than they had to share their precious patch of land with them.

When the Brexit vote won out here, I was devastated to know that I lived amongst so many hateful and racist people. But, funnily enough, I predicted exactly which of my friends and acquaintances would vote to leave the EU. It was easy to see the kind of people that would make that decision. And, equally, whilst others are shocked by this latest election, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Just hurts.

Incredible.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish. What complete emotional nonsense. Brexit and trump are a victory for grown ups. Looking after your own interests doesnt mean a hate for other people.

What an echo chamber this thread is. How comfortable for you all.

You people believe what you want to believe.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:56 pm

mark224 wrote:
ArielsSong wrote:
So difficult, watching from the UK.

Brexit, and now this.

It's not even the consequences that hurt the most, though they are utterly terrifying. It's the message from the voters that hurts.

It's the fact that the Brexit vote and the Trump vote are expressions of hate.

These are ordinary people that hate others, and think they're more important than anyone else, and want to hurt others so much that they vote for the option that just damages other people. That's who the voters are. And they're not a small minority. We're dealing with millions and millions of people in supposedly developed countries, who are voting to hurt other people just because they hate that other people have freedom and safety. They would rather people die than they had to share their precious patch of land with them.

When the Brexit vote won out here, I was devastated to know that I lived amongst so many hateful and racist people. But, funnily enough, I predicted exactly which of my friends and acquaintances would vote to leave the EU. It was easy to see the kind of people that would make that decision. And, equally, whilst others are shocked by this latest election, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Just hurts.

Incredible.

Rubbish. Utter rubbish. What complete emotional nonsense. Brexit and trump are a victory for grown ups. Looking after your own interests doesnt mean a hate for other people.

What an echo chamber this thread is. How comfortable for you all.

You people believe what you want to believe.

It's not so much hatred, but fear that drives people to look for simplistic solutions to complex problems and vote for populist leaders who promise everything without much evidence, or argument as to how they will achieve what they promise. But I guess when you have recent leaders who have failed to achieve what they set out to do, you can't blame the people for turning to a populist leader in Trump to try an alternative future that repudiates the past. The trouble is you simply can't wind back open and free trade policies with the rest of the world, or reverse the abortion reforms for women domestically. The world has moved on from the past and the American public needs to accept and move on with the rest of the world if they really want to see America great again.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 5:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The nightmare has become a reality. American's obviously preferred a narcissistic ,racist, serial abuser of women over a competent and intelligent woman. Doesn't say much for the character of the average American.

Some saying change was needed but Trump?! ! !, and that Sanders wouldn't have lost the blue States.
Who do the Democrats choose for 2020?

the democrats are FINISHED as a party, in the historical dustbin along with the whigs.

I'd advise the Democratic party to stick it out, because I have to think Trump won't stand a snowball's chance in hell four years from now, after he drives the country into the ground.

the Bernie supporters will bolt straightaway to form/join another party and the colored folk will not be sufficient to maintain it, so it will splinter and dissolve.

Remember how the Republicans had performed what they termed an "autopsy" when they had lost big to Obama? Well, I think it's time for the Democratic party to do the same, but this time finding ways to reconnect with working class whites who have felt left behind by the increasingly corporatized Democratic party. One way to accomplish this would be to fight for labor rights, increase the strength and number of labor unions, and stop companies from moving overseas for the sake of outlandish executive salaries and golden parachutes. Unlike the Republicans, who let that autopsy go by the wayside, the Democrats need to stick with it. After all, the Democratic party had for years and years been the champion of worker's rights.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

Trump is the new POtuS elect!! !
#MaGa3
#Makeamericagreatagain
#canadafortrump
#autisticsfortrump

And trump supports LGBT people , legal Latinos, true patriotic blacks, we all American not democrat or republican. He includes everybody as equal including disabled.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 5:42 pm

Korin wrote:
And trump supports LGBT people

"Donald Trump had said he would “strongly consider” overturning the Supreme Court’s June 2015 decision to give same-sex couples the right to marry".
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/could- ... 2016-11-09

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 7:18 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Korin wrote:
And trump supports LGBT people

"Donald Trump had said he would “strongly consider” overturning the Supreme Court’s June 2015 decision to give same-sex couples the right to marry".
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/could- ... 2016-11-09

That would only prove to validate his critics on the left, as he'd have proven himself to be a reactionary in terms of civil rights.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 8:21 am

I've seen loads of racism since the election has been over, all of it directed at white people. Some of it by white people. If I see one more f-ing "dear white people" letter on Facebook... :wall:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 3:22 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I've seen loads of racism since the election has been over, all of it directed at white people. Some of it by white people. If I see one more f-ing "dear white people" letter on Facebook... :wall:

Clinton, Obama, and the left never got the endorsement of white nationalists. None of them ever encouraged so called poll watchers, who said in interviews that they were on the lookout specifically for blacks and Latinos committing voter fraud.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm

WRONG!

Trump got 7% more of the black vote than Romney, 8% more of the Hispanic vote, and 11% more of the Asian vote.

But he only got 1% more of the white vote than Romney.

Source: New York Times

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

approx. 118 million people out of 321 million people voted. not a majority. a minority voted for this mess.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 7:40 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

Didn't Mr Trump say that he was standing for America's "forgotten people"...coded language for white Americans in the mid and north west "rust belt" states whom his advisers identified as disgruntled with the Obama administration for the economic downturn and loss of jobs in the automobile industry i.e. Detroit (this of course had nothing to do with Obama and was related to lack of competitiveness of the US car industry in a global market) and who could swing voters to Trump. The tactic clearly worked...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 8:00 pm

and a numeric MAJORITY [approx. 200k+] voted for HILLARY!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 10:28 pm

well it's started

Minorities being targeted
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... a6c4354e32

Welcome to "Trumpland"