Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:40 am

Speaking on CNN during the wee hours of Wednesday morning, CNN contributor Van Jones claimed that this year's election (and Republican candidate Donald Trump's unexpected rise) ultimately came down to something entirely unrelated to candidates' policies or their speeches at rallies. Instead, Jones claimed the root of this year's wild election was something he called "whitelash."

Trump's rise and his surprising surge in votes on Nov. 8, Jones reasoned, came down to "whitelash" — essentially, backlash from white Americans against other races. Backlash (or whitelash) against immigrants entering the country, backlash against refugees who were welcomed into the United States, backlash against African Americans and (of course) a backlash against 8 years of a black president

https://www.romper.com/p/what-does-whit ... bout-22274

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:46 am

I hope to God that isn't the motivation behind most of Trump's supporters, but then again I wasn't expecting a Trump victory either.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:57 am

I knew the SOB would be installed. race wars here we come. open season now on LGBT and the poor/colored.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:58 am

It seems to me that race and gender have been over focused on in the media. I've read an awful lot of pro-Trump comments on YouTube and the like and did not observe the "whitelash" factor. What I saw was a consistent opinion that they considered Clinton to be "evil, corrupt, dishonest, crooked and a criminal". That was the focus I saw, not some KKK whitepower thing.

Last edited by EzraS on 09 Nov 2016, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2016, 2:59 am

The American rural areas are unbelievably conservative. There seems a clear divide between the cities and the backwoods.

I wish you luck with old Yellow Hair and hope he won't turn the clock back too much.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:59 am

The nightmare has become a reality. American's obviously preferred a narcissistic ,racist, serial abuser of women over a competent and intelligent woman. Doesn't say much for the character of the average American.

Some saying change was needed but Trump?! !!, and that Sanders wouldn't have lost the blue States.
Who do the Democrats choose for 2020?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:07 am

Sanders should have been the one chosen. There was just way too much controversy involved with Clinton.

Last edited by EzraS on 09 Nov 2016, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:07 am

So difficult, watching from the UK.

Brexit, and now this.

It's not even the consequences that hurt the most, though they are utterly terrifying. It's the message from the voters that hurts.

It's the fact that the Brexit vote and the Trump vote are expressions of hate.

These are ordinary people that hate others, and think they're more important than anyone else, and want to hurt others so much that they vote for the option that just damages other people. That's who the voters are. And they're not a small minority. We're dealing with millions and millions of people in supposedly developed countries, who are voting to hurt other people just because they hate that other people have freedom and safety. They would rather people die than they had to share their precious patch of land with them.

When the Brexit vote won out here, I was devastated to know that I lived amongst so many hateful and racist people. But, funnily enough, I predicted exactly which of my friends and acquaintances would vote to leave the EU. It was easy to see the kind of people that would make that decision. And, equally, whilst others are shocked by this latest election, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Just hurts.

Incredible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:08 am

I can't help but fear that the election of a narcissistic, inexperienced, racist-courting, phoney billionaire and flim flam man, following the disastrous military adventurism in the Middle East during the Bush years, will spell out the end of America's greatness. Russian satellite status, here we come! :skull:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:12 am

firemonkey wrote:
The nightmare has become a reality. American's obviously preferred a narcissistic ,racist, serial abuser of women over a competent and intelligent woman. Doesn't say much for the character of the average American.

Some saying change was needed but Trump?! ! !, and that Sanders wouldn't have lost the blue States.

the democrats are FINISHED as a party, in the historical dustbin along with the whigs.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2016, 3:15 am

Were I American I would never have supported him as he doesn't seem to care a scrap about the environment.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:17 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Were I American I would never have supported him as he doesn't seem to care a scrap about the environment.

he doesn't care about anybody outside of his social circle. my psych prof. referred to such people as having dissocial subset antisocial personality disorder.

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2016, 3:19 am

I agree, and I am disgusted.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Some saying change was needed but Trump?! ! !, and that Sanders wouldn't have lost the blue States.

the democrats are FINISHED as a party, in the historical dustbin along with the whigs.

I'd advise the Democratic party to stick it out, because I have to think Trump won't stand a snowball's chance in hell four years from now, after he drives the country into the ground.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:20 am

Those of you living outside the USA, just remember that the POTUS is considered the leader of the Free World, not just the US. Not at all a comforting thought I'm sure.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2016, 3:27 am

EzraS wrote:
Those of you living outside the USA, just remember that the POTUS is considered the leader of the Free World, not just the US. Not at all a comforting thought I'm sure.

Oh, you mean we're going to have to make do without Hillary starting World War III?
Well, that is a bit of a blow, but I guess we'll just have to endure.
I mean, now at least we have a chance to do so.