Page 2 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 1:29 am

there is only so much usable coal left in the ground, if people don't like the gradual increase in coal fortunes then they need to blame mother nature and also their coal bosses for being short-sighted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:00 am

People working in the coal industry need to think about future generations (including their own kids) and find alternative work.

Here in Australia the government is retraining unemployed coal workers in sustainable agriculture, renewable energy projects and ecotourism

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:01 am

cyberdad wrote:
People working in the coal industry need to think about future generations (including their own kids) and find alternative work. Here in Australia the government is retraining unemployed coal workers in sustainable agriculture, renewable energy projects and ecotourism

amuuricans believe in "sink or swim" and if the individual employees can't retrain themselves then to hell with 'em.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
People working in the coal industry need to think about future generations (including their own kids) and find alternative work. Here in Australia the government is retraining unemployed coal workers in sustainable agriculture, renewable energy projects and ecotourism

amuuricans believe in "sink or swim" and if the individual employees can't retrain themselves then to hell with 'em.

At least they can try - It sure beats cussing on facebook at the Obamas

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 2:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
People working in the coal industry need to think about future generations (including their own kids) and find alternative work.

Here in Australia the government is retraining unemployed coal workers in sustainable agriculture, renewable energy projects and ecotourism

I believe that's something the American right has constantly opposed, essentially keeping their constituency bound in dead end jobs, and beholden to them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:30 am

just an update, the woman at the centre of the racist facebook post has been reinstated by her West Virginia employer
https://newsone.com/3615114/non-profit- ... uspension/
The West Virginia council have taken the view that since Trump won the election that it's apparently ok now to call African Americans "apes"?

Have we entered the twilight zone??

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:40 am

^^^unless he gets impeached soon, it seems we have become much closer to being "the monsters on maple street."

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
just an update, the woman at the centre of the racist facebook post has been reinstated by her West Virginia employer
https://newsone.com/3615114/non-profit- ... uspension/
The West Virginia council have taken the view that since Trump won the election that it's apparently ok now to call African Americans "apes"?

Have we entered the twilight zone??

I think they're calling that "Trump's America", now.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Further to the news Ms Pamela Ramsey has been placed on leave by Clay County Development Corp
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11/15 ... 85756.html

At least they are "honest" about why they voted Trump

So, there really is a "basket of deplorables" after all.

Oh yes, two people always represent an entire demographic. This is the proof that was needed all along.

The decent ones are the ones who just make death treats and or publicly in large numbers state with glee how they hope someone gets murdered.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 3:51 am

Also I found this a bit interesting as I saw something like it during the election:

Any objections? Of course not.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 11:19 am

EzraS wrote:
Also I found this a bit interesting as I saw something like it during the election:

Any objections? Of course not.

There's is a difference. Black Americans have been dehumanized for hundreds of years by being called apes, whereas whites have not. Bill Maher was making fun of Trump's artificial hair color by saying the only place you'll find it in nature is among orangutans, thus jokingly saying the only way for Trump's hair color to be real is for him to have had an ape father. The only person who ever took this seriously was Trump himself, who sued Maher over this. The judge laughed Trump out of court.
As for your previous post: I never said that deplorable represented a whole demographic. I was just calling that particular person, and similar persons, deplorables.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
There's is a difference. Black Americans have been dehumanized for hundreds of years by being called apes, whereas whites have not.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Kraichgauer wrote:
As for your previous post: I never said that deplorable represented a whole demographic. I was just calling that particular person, and similar persons, deplorables.

You said so there really is a basket of deplorables in regards to the two people. The basket of deplorables according Hillary is half of Trump supporters or roughly 30 million people.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
The basket of deplorables according Hillary is half of Trump supporters or roughly 30 million people.

What do you hope to gain by arguing from a falsehood? Clinton already made it clear that that was not what she meant.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/h ... les-227988
Quote:
“Last night I was ‘grossly generalistic,’ and that's never a good idea. I regret saying ‘half’ — that was wrong," Clinton said in a statement released Saturday afternoon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
People should understand that Obama has attacked these people's way of life by pledging to put coal industry and coal miners out of business, Hillary echoed these sentiments exactly during the campaign and after that point I had full confidence that Trump would win Ohio and Pennsylvania thanks in large part to Trump's dominance in coal country as well as the post-industrial rustbelt regions.

You do realize that the coal industry is dying no matter what any politician says right? It's being replaced by the petroleum industry, specifically natural gas and oil. Coal deposits on the eastern portion of the continent tend to be more sulfur rich, which is an air quality issue so most coal is being mined in the west now, which is sulfur free because it formed from lake deposits instead of seawater, and is shipped to the east coast. Coal deposits in Iowa are really "dirty" so our coal industry has been completely dead since 1994.

I don't think the rational explanation matters too much to the people whose way of life has depended on coal for generations in these regions, telling them there is no future is not what people want to hear. Obama and Hillary showed a stunning lack of empathy towards these people and I think it contributed to Trump's victory.

I sincerely feel for the people in coal country. But every industry eventually comes to an end. After all, the horse saddle industry isn't what it once had been back in the 19th century. If anything, big business should be trying to move into coal country with alternative well paying jobs.
And on that note, it should be recalled how the coal industry has cared little about their employees, fighting miners unions at every step, and often refusing to provide the most basic safety standards. Recall the loss of life in avoidable mine cave ins not many years ago, and the mine owners who could have cared less, save for the bad press.

On top of that isn't coal mining a really dangerous job...and doesn't it lead to a lot of health problems and things? Why anyone would want to cling to this if a better way is found I don't get. Granted I think there needs to be efforts to help people in such jobs transition to other work but I see no reason to preserve coal mining when we should be working towards eliminating coal dependency. But of course now you have trump with his talk of 'clean coal' and how its some kind of innovation or whatever, more like a myth but there you have it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
There's is a difference. Black Americans have been dehumanized for hundreds of years by being called apes, whereas whites have not.

Kraichgauer wrote:

You said so there really is a basket of deplorables in regards to the two people. The basket of deplorables according Hillary is half of Trump supporters or roughly 30 million people.

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that half of trump supporters could belong in the basket of deplorable's, but perhaps the only thing I'd really agree with Hillary on, though plenty of her supporters also belong there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 9:06 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:

What Adamantium said.