Aspergers used to try reduce sentence of convicted terrorist

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:26 am

From Newsday Pay site
"A former psychologist in the Babylon school district testified Tuesday she believes convicted terrorist Justin Kaliebe had Asperger’s syndrome or some related condition on the autism spectrum when he was a student"

"In February 2013, Kaliebe, then 18, who has lived in Babylon and Brentwood, pleaded guilty to attempting to provide material support to terrorists and a foreign terrorist organization by trying unsuccessfully to get to Yemen to join al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula."

"Kaliebe’s attorney, Anthony La Pinta of Hauppauge, is attempting to convince U.S. District Judge Denis Hurley his client should get a drastically reduced sentence because of a diminished capacity to make judgments."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:43 am

Let him fry. Aspergers should not be an in-blanco excuse to do crazy s**t.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 2:47 am

Don't tell me he was a Muslim.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:25 am

muslim and disabled! if he was also black and gay then he could be the archetype for what the republican party would call "enemy number 1"

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 6:06 am

League_Girl wrote:
Don't tell me he was a Muslim.

His father was a commercial fisherman with Norwegian and Irish roots. His mother was an office manager of Italian-Jewish descent.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 2:29 am

He is sentenced to 13 years

Judge gives light sentence to autistic wannabe terrorist

Quote:
Justin Kaliebe, 22, of Bay Shore, faced up to 30 years for trying to join a Yemeni branch of al Qaeda in 2013 to wage jihad against the US.

Long Island federal court Judge Denis Hurley agreed that Kaliebe was “radicalized to the nth degree” but said he has a “malady” and “probably falls somewhere on the autistic scale.”

“I am very sympathetic to this defendant,” said Hurley during the hours-long sentencing proceeding in Central Islip. “Besides from the havoc he intended to cause, he is a very nice young man.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Let him fry. Aspergers should not be an in-blanco excuse to do crazy s**t.

While I agree in principle, I don't think the judge was necessarily wrong in taking this particular individual's autism into account.

Quote:
“I thought I finally found true friends at the mosque in Bay Shore,” he said about converting to Islam in his early teens. “I have now renounced Islam. I have chosen to be guided by love.”

Autistic people being used by NTs who prey on their need for friendship is a real issue. The degree to which that might mitigate guilt in a thing like this would have to have something to do with the person's level of function. But it's not hard to imagine that the judge saw someone who was ripe for exploitation because of his neurology. Judges should be able to exercise that judgment.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jan 2017, 1:02 pm

It doesn't matter if he is autistic or not, terrorists should be held accountable and those radicalized should not be allowed free for our safety.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 1:40 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It doesn't matter if he is autistic or not, terrorists should be held accountable and those radicalized should not be allowed free for our safety.

Is he a terrorist or a wannabe? People who are truly radicalized don't renounce but long for martyrdom. This guy doesn't seem like one of them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:43 am

Is there any way to get the article without paying for a full subscription? I need to analyse a somewhat recent news article that mentions abnormal psychology for a paper.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 3:49 am

Ganondox wrote:
Is there any way to get the article without paying for a full subscription? I need to analyse a somewhat recent news article that mentions abnormal psychology for a paper.

Not legally

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 7:15 am

It is a great irony that everyone condemns someone who may have been an «impressionable youth» who was «easily brain-washed» by a cult-leader who led the boy into believing that his actions were righteous & justified;

Yet, everyone simultaneously themselves supports and funds their own terrorist-organisations, for everyone has been «impression-ably» led and «brain-washed» by their own cult-leader(s) into believing that their actions are righteous & justified & even necessary for the order and maintenance of society (even though it does the exact opposite).

Yes, the State of [what-ever-state-it-is-called-here] is indeed a gigantic net-work of terrorist-organisations, the cult-leader is no particular man or women or living & breathing entity that one can talk to but mere words and texts that have been written down onto various pieces of paper that have become the autocratic DICTATORS over how everyone must live or be forced to DIE, and via fines and taxation and various other punitive fees does everybody support such a BEAST.

People think that they are adults, solely due to having reached the age of 18 but, from what I see, the world is still full of immaturity, such that at least 98% of the entire world still does NOT know the difference between right and wrong, moral and immoral, ethical and unethical, fact versus truth versus opinion, etc. I have taught enough «problem students» (i.e.: bullies) to know that their wrongful-behaviours were not seen by them as being wrongful behaviours, not until I pointed them out to these students/bullies and, because they always looked up to me with a very great deal and high degree of respect, I found that I could always «rehabilitate» them from behaving in such an anti-social/anti-peace manner.

Many times, I have found, that a lot of these «problem» children come out of very abusive home-environments. For the ones that come from perfectly normal or supportive environments, although most of the Western-culture still rejects these realities, I have uncovered plenty of evidence amongst well-documented cases of para-normal research conducted on abnormal-psychology which supports the idea/theory/hypothesis that «unexplained» negative-behaviours are just about always due to a phenomenon that can be accurately termed as spirit-possession.

I now quote an excerpt from an author who had studied and investigated such a phenomenon during his life...

Ian Currie wrote:
That Friday I took a commuter train out to a suburban stop. My teaching assistant’s husband picked me up and we drove to an elegant, modern home. We entered a sunken living room, and there I met Ann, a vivacious, attractive blonde, with hair sweeping down to her shoulders. No beads, no incense, no hippy robes. Someone less like the popular image of a “psychic” would have been hard to imagine. Ann held a graduate degree in economics and an executive position at a major corporation. She was so wholesome she looked like a cheerleader. Bright and outgoing, she chatted easily, but beneath that exterior, she seemed nervous. Her eyes kept sliding away from mine. Finally I asked her what had happened. In a trembling voice, she told me. As she began, her eyes filled with tears. Before she had finished she was sobbing.

...essentially, Ann had described to Ian what had happened to her, how she was spirit-possessed.
Ian Currie wrote:
And that is how I first became interested in possession.

This possession experience was of a particular type – brief, violent, and hateful. But as we will see, there are many, many other kinds.

It wasn’t easy for me to take the hypothesis of possession seriously. How can anyone in the late twentieth century truly believe that “spirits” can influence the bodies and the lives of the living? It wasn’t an idea in which I wanted to believe. It was frightening, irrational, crazy. And when I looked into it, I found out what others before me had also discovered – that it was true.

The world needs to be rehabilitated otherwise these back-and-forth crimes will continue in perpetuity.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

Oh Lawd! I'm black and gay. That makes me Enemy No. 1? Holy sh*t. I'm doomed.