Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2007, 1:28 pm

Autism, Asperger Syndrome, and Autism Spectrum Disorders

Autism is a spectrum of conditions, not just one condition. This podcast is an overview of AS that also includes information on recent study findings by Dr. Stephen Sherer of Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Dr. Peter Szatmari, Head of Child Psychiatry at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Go here to listen...

http://mic.mypodcast.com/index.html

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2007, 5:05 pm

I listened to the first one, and their back and forth banter kind of annoyed me. I hope the second one is better.

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2007, 9:21 am

jnet wrote:
I listened to the first one, and their back and forth banter kind of annoyed me. I hope the second one is better.

Yes, but what about content though? Isn't it refreshing to have the AS side of the equation spoken of in depth?

I was one of the two speakers on that podcast by the way. (The male one.)

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 9:56 am

Didymus wrote:
jnet wrote:

Yes, but what about content though? Isn't it refreshing to have the AS side of the equation spoken of in depth?

I was one of the two speakers on that podcast by the way. (The male one.)

Lol, sorry didymus, I was only being honest (most of the time I am probably too honest). But yes, I agree that the content was good. And the second one was better than the first, although the dialogue on the DSM IV was a little overwhelming. But I liked that BOTH the positives and negatives were discussed. Often there seems to be only one or the other. The focus that autistics have many strong points YET could use some help to cope in life and bring those strong points out was well worth saying.

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2007, 10:33 am

jnet wrote:
Lol, sorry didymus, I was only being honest (most of the time I am probably too honest). But yes, I agree that the content was good. And the second one was better than the first, although the dialogue on the DSM IV was a little overwhelming. But I liked that BOTH the positives and negatives were discussed. Often there seems to be only one or the other. The focus that autistics have many strong points YET could use some help to cope in life and bring those strong points out was well worth saying.

Your comments and those of others are always welcome.

What we would like is to present a viewpoint that is scientifically accurate (as backed up by the latest studies) while presenting the AS and autistic side of things.

In order for us to make the assertion that

-autistics should not be doped up on too many meds
-the more grotesque forms of ABA should not be used
-genetic pre-selection for autism is wrong
-autistics don't need or want to be cured

posting the info on the DSM IV TR and studies on the origins of autism seemed prudent. Otherwise, people will simply argue that opinions are nice but irrelevant.

My hope is that AS people and autistics can be given a voice that non-autistics will hear. Throw studies in front of people and they will be loathe to read them, but radio and audio is a palatable format, and so we thought we would try this idea rather than a simple website.

Six podcasts (including the two that are out there) have already been recorded, but for legal, marketing and copyright reasons I cannot say what the remaining four are.

To give autistics their own voice in a different sort of way, I've painted some art cards...

Looking in on Autism/Asperger Man (a painting done by me) can be seen and ordered here: http://tinyurl.com/yt8sxa .

Reaching the Autistic Mind (a painting done by me) can be seen and ordered here: http://tinyurl.com/yujkas

Life as an Aspling (a painting done by Composer Elyse Bruce's 11 year old son) can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2gtone

We're using the proceeds from the sales to fund the production of more podcasts (in part) and we're also giving 10% of the net proceeds to the Asperger Society of Ontario and 10% to the Metropolitan Autism Society of America.

Thanks for your opinions. They have been heard and will be taken into consideration when we write, create, and produce future podcasts.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 11:17 am

Keep me posted when the next podcasts are release and I will continue to listen to them (and offer my opinions :lol: ). I like the picture "Reaching the Autistic Mind." It's my favorite of the ones you showed. I may even consider ordering it as it describes my life so well. The inner peace and beauty, and who I really am, are hard for others to get to bc it is confusing for them and me to let them it, like a maze they have to figure me out.

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2007, 9:33 am

jnet wrote:
Keep me posted when the next podcasts are release and I will continue to listen to them (and offer my opinions :lol: ). I like the picture "Reaching the Autistic Mind." It's my favorite of the ones you showed. I may even consider ordering it as it describes my life so well. The inner peace and beauty, and who I really am, are hard for others to get to bc it is confusing for them and me to let them it, like a maze they have to figure me out.

You got the point of the painting right of the bat, as I thought most Aspies and others on the spectrum would. When I did the painting, it was an expression of me, but I realized that it could serve as a statement that any Aspie can make, thus I offered it up for sale as an art card on the web as well as the "Looking in on Autism" painting.

Midnight in Chicago will have more paintings and art cards as time progresses, so keep your eyes peeled. There ought to be something for everyone eventually.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2007, 4:19 pm

okey that was terrbiel it sounds like they are reading a text

seem like really really bad acting

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2007, 12:02 am

Xan wrote:
okey that was terrbiel it sounds like they are reading a text

seem like really really bad acting

It WAS scripted. We are interested in content and not so much in form. To make the podcast reliable, we had to quote reliable sources. There are plenty of "opinion-oriented" podcasts out there, but facts are indisputable. For those who want the facts on autism, we provide them.

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2007, 1:53 am

Okay, we've done another podcast. This one is on autism and the web....

http://mic.mypodcast.com/2007/05/AS_and ... 20067.html