Children exposed to complications at birth at risk of autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 3:19 am

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170131124140.htm

Quote:
Children who were exposed to complications shortly before or during birth, including birth asphyxia and preeclampsia, were more likely to develop autism spectrum disorder, according to a Kaiser Permanente study published in the American Journal of Perinatology.

For this retrospective study, researchers examined the electronic health records of 594,638 children born in Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Southern California between 1991 and 2009. During this time, 6,255 of these children were diagnosed with ASD, 37 percent of whom experienced perinatal complications. Researchers found that children exposed to complications during birth were at a 10 percent increased risk of developing ASD, compared to children who did not experience perinatal complications.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 6:23 am

I had birth asphyxia and was born cyanotic and was premature. I spent a month in the hospital after being born. There's zero history of autism in my family.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 4:03 pm

I had no unusual problems or complications at birth.
Children born exposed to REALITY are at risk of autism. Get over it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 12:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I had no unusual problems or complications at birth.
Children born exposed to REALITY are at risk of autism. Get over it.

Perhaps that's the case with Aspergers. I was born with severe autism and continued to be diagnosed severe until I was 8 years old. I don't think I was exposed to much reality during those years. I was kept pretty sheltered.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 12:46 am

I knew a kid who was severely autistic and nonverbal, and never developed speech.

There was no oxygen to his brain for a few minutes after birth.