Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 5:53 pm

SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And in all fairness, the student protest was peaceful. It turned violent with off campus anarchists arriving at the scene. So much for left wing radicals and Marxists taking control of universities.

Off campus anarchists eh?
You might want to check their footwear, see if says "departmental property" anywhere on it.

You have proof of the contrary?

I have no specific video of this protest, but it's not exactly an uncommon tactic when a protest is too peaceful and well televised such that they can't just wade in with the clubs and bash the non resisting people.

And just as likely - if not more - uninvited anarchists decided to make a statement through violence, even if it's counterproductive to their cause.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 5:56 pm

Maybe this should happen to religious institutions as well.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

> "Trump threatens fund cutoff any campus where no free speech"

Sounds good to me. It's preposterous to force taxpayers to support institutions that openly break the law.

There Are Four Lights!

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And in all fairness, the student protest was peaceful. It turned violent with off campus anarchists arriving at the scene. So much for left wing radicals and Marxists taking control of universities.

You might want to check their footwear, see if says "departmental property" anywhere on it.

I have no specific video of this protest, but it's not exactly an uncommon tactic when a protest is too peaceful and well televised such that they can't just wade in with the clubs and bash the non resisting people.

And just as likely - if not more - uninvited anarchists decided to make a statement through violence, even if it's counterproductive to their cause.

Anarchists can be violent too, but it seems odd to me for an outside chapter to be aware of, and interested in, a protest that the local anarchists were not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:24 pm

One thing we must keep in mind: at least some Anarchists like ANARCHY.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is a glaring need for teachers. Teachers don't get STEM-type degrees.

They do if they are going to teach in that area at the college or university level. Physical science classes are seen as "hard to do" classes, so people tend avoid them if they are allowed to. Unfortunately, many high school science teachers have the bare minimum amount of science classes that they needed to earn their degrees. There are some school coaches that are asked to teach that subject because the school could not find a qualified teacher for the job. Unfortunately, the majority of those dislike science and it shows up in their students later on. I have had to teach undergraduates general and organic chemistry when they really had only a brief exposure to the important concepts if that. Things like: What is a periodic table and how is it used? When asked why they never learned that in their high school chemistry class, most of them said it was never covered, nor required by the teacher in class. We are selling ourselves short in the long run on this one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:04 pm

SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Anarchists can be violent too, but it seems odd to me for an outside chapter to be aware of, and interested in, a protest that the local anarchists were not.

They watched the TV news. No big mystery there. The fact that they showed up later shows that they were not part of the original group.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm

Darmok wrote:
> "Trump threatens fund cutoff any campus where no free speech"

Sounds good to me. It's preposterous to force taxpayers to support institutions that openly break the law.

Then there will be hysteric shrieks of Trump being anti-education.

Let them shriek! :twisted:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:51 am

Milo should teach a class in trolling, then at least the kids would learn a valuable life skill.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:54 am

Also, who is this stupid? Who has not figured out at this point that the way you deal with people like Milo is to ignore them, that attacking them, especially violently, is counterproductive at best? I really think some of the ANTIFA people in particular are just thugs themselves looking for an excuse to bust some heads, which seems foolish given who they're allegedly opposing.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:06 am

The town of Berkeley is far left, they've threatened university professors in the past, I wouldn't put the latest incident past them.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:34 pm

I hope he does, watch the snowflakes go trigglypuff on a thermonuclear meltdown!! !

Also should cut off funding for courses that don''t train people for the workforce.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:05 pm

AntDog wrote:
I hope he does, watch the snowflakes go trigglypuff on a thermonuclear meltdown!! !

Also should cut off funding for courses that don''t train people for the workforce.

Thanks for showing up to make this contribution to the thread.

So, we have broad agreement that burning a Starbucks doesn't do anything to mute the message of Milo, causes possible allies to change sides, and shows a lack of creativity that should shame the top college students in the US (if Berkeley students were even involved in planning the rioting).

This brings up a couple of questions: How do you talk to anarchists and convince them to chill out?

This is working so great for the administration, can we expect them to send out more surrogates to provoke more of this kind of coverage?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:13 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
This brings up a couple of questions: How do you talk to anarchists and convince them to chill out?

If you mean the anarchists breaking the law, you get a cop to talk to them, saying "You have the right to remain silent ... " ... after which they can chill out in jail. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 5:41 pm

AntDog wrote:

Snowflakes, huh? I thought only Alt Right guys used that term.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 5:47 pm

Quote:
"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS"

I agree!!