Trump threatens fund cutoff any campus where no free speech

Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:43 am

Trump hints that federal funding could be cut after U.C. Berkeley riot

Quote:
"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS"

The tweet was in response to violent protests that were in response to a planned talk on campus Wednesday by Milo Yiannopoulos, a controversial Breitbart News editor. The talk was canceled due to the protests.

Hundreds of peaceful demonstrators carrying signs that read "Hate Speech Is Not Free Speech" had been protesting for hours before the event.

In the evening, a small group dressed in black and in hooded sweatshirts used metal barricades to break windows, threw smoke bombs and flares, used a diesel generator to start a large bonfire outside the building.

I have a suggestion for Berkeley if Trump cuts off funding. They should set up a major in Campus unrest and rioting and charge a hefty tuition. No school in America has as much experience in this topic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Feb 2017, 9:06 am

It's a great idea, far left wing radicals have taken control of our nations universities and have implemented totalitarian policies of political correctness on our free speech. These are dens of Marxist indoctrination, they do not even pretend to believe in democracy any longer.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:10 am

Two words: Trump University

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

Jacoby wrote:
It's a great idea, far left wing radicals have taken control of our nations universities and have implemented totalitarian policies of political correctness on our free speech. These are dens of Marxist indoctrination, they do not even pretend to believe in democracy any longer.

I'm not trying to be a b***h, but have you attended university? My experience is that there is both left and right wing thought represented, but the important thing is that thought happens in the first place. Education is fundamental to a civilized society; to curb it, or to influence it is a threat to the success of the society as a whole.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:16 am

To say that universities are "hotbeds of Marxist indoctrination" is ridiculous.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:17 am

androbot01 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I'm not trying to be a b***h, but have you attended university? My experience is that there is both left and right wing thought represented, but the important thing is that thought happens in the first place. Education is fundamental to a civilized society; to curb it, or to influence it is a threat to the success of the society as a whole.

Yes, currently and you're wrong. Maybe your experience was several decades ago or something but on our nation's campuses today free speech and free expression by 'conservatives' is no longer tolerated and can get you expelled for the most minor of offenses. These idiots need grief counselors after somebody writes 'Trump' in chalk on the sidewalk, you do not understand how extreme and how bizarre things have gotten. Education is fundamental which is why the trash needs to be taken out, this isn't curbing education but rather freeing it of its chains. You do not get to violently shut down opinions you dislike, PERIOD!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:22 am

This has not been my experience.

You have liberal and conservative professors. Not many abject Marxists.

My alma mater has taken a decided turn to the "right" recently. Very Centrist now.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

Jacoby wrote:
Yes, currently ...

Cool. What are you studying?
Jacoby wrote:
Maybe your experience was several decades ago ...

I graduated in 1998 with an integrated studies degree (classics & philosophy,) but I still keep abreast as an alumnus.
Jacoby wrote:
...on our nation's campuses today free speech and free expression by 'conservatives' is no longer tolerated and can get you expelled for the most minor of offenses. These idiots need grief counselors after somebody writes 'Trump' in chalk on the sidewalk, you do not understand how extreme and how bizarre things have gotten.

I am aware of the domination of the left in education, but I don't think it is a threat to the right as is evidenced by Trump's victory and your own pursuit of education.
Jacoby wrote:
Education is fundamental which is why the trash needs to be taken out, this isn't curbing education but rather freeing it of its chains.

Not by cutting federal funding.
Jacoby wrote:
You do not get to violently shut down opinions you dislike, PERIOD!

Agreed.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

I'm racking my brain to think of an alternative fact that would merit expulsion. I went to school in this decade with people who have visible confederate flag tattoos. I checked, and none of the women in my Production and Operations Management class seemed bothered by the obvious sexism of the prof. They didn't like it, and had of course noticed it, but didn't want to discuss it beyond that, so I just cringed silently. I put it all in his formal evaluation at the end of the semester, and I know the head of the department is egalitarian, and Prof. D-bag still works there.

I take it that these dangerous thoughts would also violate WP ToS?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

Trump is just speaking for Bannon once again.

Milo is a racist, sexist PIG.. there's no doubt about it. People claim Breitbart wasn't horrible- but it really was. The fact Bannon allowed Milo to do how many horrible articles is more than enough proof they are BOTH horrid people. I'm surprised Bannon hasn't gotten Trump to hire Milo yet :roll: Milo gets attention because he has a big mouth and says risky things- and people agree with him. Very sickening.

As for the violent protests- I know they shouldn't be happening. But Trump should be looking at the reasons WHY they happened. But of course he wont because it would mean they point the blame to Milo.. which Bannon doesn't want.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:33 am

It bothers me when people refer to those who espouse a different political ideology from one's own as "trash." They are "trash" if they actually do "trashy" things.

I don't like what many of the "alt-Right" say---but I wouldn't refer to them as "trash."

When somebody talks about "weeding out the trash," I feel bothered. This reminds me of too many things which I fear. It reminds me of "ethnic cleansing" and that ilk.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:38 am

CIS, I may change things going forward I dunno. Not to be a dick but what type of work does your degree get you? Genuinely curious, I am going to school so I will be able to get a job instead of indulging special interests. Like I feel like I could do history or political science or whatever easily but there's not a lot of market for them.

I support Trump withholding funds from these universities and to be honest I think the federal government shouldn't provide guaranteed loans for non marketable degrees. This is why education is so expensive in this country, they are babysitting and in a lot of areas teaching complete nonsense. Not all edcuation is created equal. The government should only provide loans for useful things like STEM, medicine, trades, etc. The other stuff can be supported by scholarships and donations, I don't think half the people in college should even be there to be honest. It's one of the greatest scams in human history that they've somehow got us to sell ourselves into debt slavery to pay for what they want to make another high school.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:40 am

Heh, looks like Trump's doing something I actually agree with. I guess he's not all bad.

EDIT: Just noticed this is my 6200th post. Not sure if that number has any significance, but hey, 6200 right on the dot. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:46 am

I also agree with Trump here. Progressives who disagree are hypocrites as using federal funding to try and get an outcome they want is central to their strategy.

Many have asked anti Trump protesters to "get over it ". They have to "get over it", protests are as American as apple pie. That said for far too long violent protests and "letting them vent" have been tolerated. No matter the righteousness of the cause when a riot occurs my sympathies lie with the innocent people hurt be it physical or financial.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Feb 2017, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:52 am

Jacoby wrote:
CIS

Computer Information Systems? That's neat and useful going into the future.
Jacoby wrote:
...what type of work does your degree get you?

None whatsoever. I've been drifting from job to job over the years but am currently studying the far more useful Medical Transcription Editing.

Jacoby wrote:
Like I feel like I could do history or political science or whatever easily but there's not a lot of market for them.

The humanities are useful for self-development; they make you aware of things that can be useful in unexpected situations. However, if I were in your position I'd stick with technology. You could always take a history or politics as an elective.

Jacoby wrote:
...I think the federal government shouldn't provide guaranteed loans for non marketable degrees.

I disagree with the sentiment of this as I think that while the benefits of studying the humanities are less easily observed, they do still exist. I think philosophy and classics help to round out an education that can become too specified.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:53 am

The federal funding doesn't only benefit the "progressives."

It could, very well, benefit the Business majors and other more "conservative" departments within Berkeley.