Flawed basis for "Three Tiered" theory of Austism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 1:55 am

Study tests the “three-hit” theory of autism

Quote:
Pfaff and his colleagues formulated the three-hit theory based on studies of animals suggesting that the male hormone testosterone may sensitize the developing brain to stress in a way that can lead to social avoidance, a behavior characteristic of autism. Mice, like humans, are social animals, and in experiments, described in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Pfaff’s team looked to see if male mice were more prone to problems with social responses than females when the other two risk factors were present

Pfaff and his colleagues formulated the three-hit theory based on studies of animals suggesting that the male hormone testosterone may sensitize the developing brain to stress in a way that can lead to social avoidance, a behavior characteristic of autism. Mice, like humans, are social animals, and in experiments, described in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Pfaff’s team looked to see if male mice were more prone to problems with social responses than females when the other two risk factors were present.

The theory and these experiments focus on the primary aspect of autism spectrum disorders, social problems, but there are others. In addition to social avoidance, autism is associated with difficulties in communication, as well as unusually restricted interests.

Wrong. Social avoidence is often a reaction not the primary aspect of a persons autism. Those "other" aspects mentioned are primary aspects. And sensory sensitivities appearently not even thought of. Has the scientist read anything about autism published after Kanner?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 3:52 am

the autism-honeypot, everybody wants a whiff of that, as soon as it smells like §§

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:01 am

I'm guessing this person sought "something new" in order to get published.

People do this all the time in academic/scientific circles. Everything seems "taken," so they feel they have to come up with SOMETHING.

This might be one of those instances. Creativity instead of science.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 10:44 am

Thing is this researcher might have found a clue to Schizoid Personality Disorder, but there is not nearly as much money in it as in Autism. But since there is so much misunderstanding of autism cluelessness is still a plausible explanation.

Maybe what is needed to get money to flow into SPD research are Taylor Swift or Beyonce to do a cover of King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". They could botch the song but it will still be a huge hit and give publicity to the condition.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:25 am

yep....that would do it!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm guessing this person sought "something new" in order to get published.

People do this all the time in academic/scientific circles. Everything seems "taken," so they feel they have to come up with SOMETHING.

This might be one of those instances. Creativity instead of science.

Yeah I have often felt that way concerning certain studies.

Pfaff, pfft.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 2:16 am

Autism theory of the week. It'll be forgotten when the next theory comes out next week.