The Body Positive and Fat Acceptance Movement

Page 1 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:41 am

Drake wrote:
It does make a lot of sense, with them weighing both you and your luggage. So while say a 5ft 0 woman is going to have a big advantage over a 6ft 6 man, I think the control ultimately rests more with you than with such things you have no control over.

It can only be a good thing if it doesn't completely replace current standard practice. If it ever did, I don't know which would be best overall. Now you can shed pounds in both senses of the word! :D

I think the best part of this system is that it charges people for the resources they take.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:47 am

BettaPonic wrote:
Drake wrote:
It does make a lot of sense, with them weighing both you and your luggage. So while say a 5ft 0 woman is going to have a big advantage over a 6ft 6 man, I think the control ultimately rests more with you than with such things you have no control over.

It can only be a good thing if it doesn't completely replace current standard practice. If it ever did, I don't know which would be best overall. Now you can shed pounds in both senses of the word! :D

I think the best part of this system is that it charges people for the resources they take.

Indeed. You pay by weight to move parcels, so why not for moving you as well? If airlines ever did go for the pay for 2 seats if you take 2, it could even work out cheaper for the obese.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:50 am

Drake wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Drake wrote:

Indeed. You pay by weight to move parcels, so why not for moving you as well? If airlines ever did go for the pay for 2 seats if you take 2, it could even work out cheaper for the obese.

My favorite part is that my seat would be super cheap. :D

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:52 am

Yeah I'm trying to think big picture here, but it would definitely benefit me personally. :)

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 6:55 am

Drake wrote:
Yeah I'm trying to think big picture here, but it would definitely benefit me personally. :)

I am thinking big picture too, to me it is just an added bonus.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:26 pm

Drake wrote:
Harmful. Very harmful. It's gone way too far.

I do think positive reinforcement is much beter than negative, but it hinges on if you actually want to lose the weight. I don't think people should be bullied for being fat, but the idea that it's okay and normal has to go. Because it allows people to slip into being that way and thinking it's okay. Because it's not okay. Because it will kill you like smoking will kill you. Slowly. And with a huge variety of health problems along the way. And it also is a huge drain on healthcare. If you are obese, you are selfish. These things should be made clear. There's no need to bang on about them or bully people, but it should be clearly understood in society.

I absolutely think if you take up two seats on public transport you should have to pay for two (unless there is room to spare. But if you deprive someone of a seat, you should have to pay up.)

I would absolutely judge someone on their weight in an employment interview. Big time. If you can't even be bothered to care about your own body, why are you going to care about this job? If you can't even motivate yourself to keep your own body under control, where is the motivation to put in the work we require of you going to come from? If you have such low standards for yourself, how are you going to have the high standards we demand of you? And also why would we want some depressive dragging down the rest of our workforce? And of course if this was a physical labour job, that would be called into question too if their weight would stop them from completing their tasks to the required level. Also potential body odour would be a concern too. I would ask these questions. Maybe not that last one about body odour, if they answered the other questions satisfactorily, I doubt that last one would be a concern. If someone was actively working towards shedding the weight I wouldn't count it against them. Same if it was a medical issue they had no control over. They'd by doing that be showing the kind of qualities I'd be looking for or if it was medical it wouldn't be their fault so wouldn't count against them. It's not the weight itself I'd have the problem with but what its presence might be saying about the interviewee.

Discriminate against someone in a job interview because they are overweight, just because you assume they can not take care of job duties if they can't take care of themselves, you very well might be losing out an an amazingly competent and intelligent person. Orson Welles was obese, but he was a groundbreaking director. Taft, though the butt of fat jokes, was a competent President. CNN reporter Candy Crowley is first rate at her job, despite being overweight (unlike Fox, CNN hires people on merit and ability, not due to appearance). I could go on and on with examples.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:28 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Overweight people have been ridiculed and discriminated against, with little sympathy from the general public for a long time. I'm happy that the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue has most recently had - not obesely overweight women - but women who can be described as curvy. I personally prefer voluptuous women to self-starved walking sticks.

Overweight people make the majority of my country. I do not think they are discriminated and if they are I think things you have control of like that should be fair game for discrimination. What do you define as discrimination?

What country do you reside in?
Overweight people in the USA, though comprising a large percentage of the population, have been found to be judged on their appearance rather than their qualifications when applying for jobs, are the butt of jokes, and are generally harped at for being ugly and unhealthy. There have even been airlines who have insultingly required overweight people to purchase two tickets per seat.

I am a Canadian American. I agree that they should not be judged in employment. Thank you for teaching me that. I have to admit being the butt f a joke doesn't sound bad to me, but I like being the butt of a joke. Obesity is correlated with numerology s health conditions. If they take two seas why should they not pay for two seats? I agree if they don't esquire two seats they should not pay for it though.

Any time. 8)

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 1:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Overweight people have been ridiculed and discriminated against, with little sympathy from the general public for a long time. I'm happy that the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue has most recently had - not obesely overweight women - but women who can be described as curvy. I personally prefer voluptuous women to self-starved walking sticks.

Overweight people make the majority of my country. I do not think they are discriminated and if they are I think things you have control of like that should be fair game for discrimination. What do you define as discrimination?

Overweight people in the USA, though comprising a large percentage of the population, have been found to be judged on their appearance rather than their qualifications when applying for jobs, are the butt of jokes, and are generally harped at for being ugly and unhealthy. There have even been airlines who have insultingly required overweight people to purchase two tickets per seat.

I am a Canadian American. I agree that they should not be judged in employment. Thank you for teaching me that. I have to admit being the butt f a joke doesn't sound bad to me, but I like being the butt of a joke. Obesity is correlated with numerology s health conditions. If they take two seas why should they not pay for two seats? I agree if they don't esquire two seats they should not pay for it though.

Any time. 8)

Nice to agree with each other. Do you think obesity is becoming more acceptable? Disliking fat people seems weird to me, because there are so many of them? I can get disliking small groups because of the fact that people interact with them less. I have to admit my biggest problem with obesity is my fear of becoming obese. So many of the things that I love to do would be much harder fat.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Mar 2017, 2:04 pm

I'm kind of on the other end of it but it's common to criticize the self-esteem movement which body positivity and fat acceptance are products of, I don't think people should be treated worse for being in bad shape but it gets kooky when they deny that its a bad shape at all. 'Healthy at any weight' is an absolutely absurd belief, Most people can lose weight through simple diet and exercise, it is a discipline issue and a real problem with our modern diets & sedentary lifestyles. I feel bad for people who have let themselves so far gone that they don't think any other life is possible, it can take a long time but it's possible I believe for anybody if they stick with it long enough. It's not just doing it to lose weight, it's a lifestyle change that has to stick. I respect people that at least try, that's all you can ask from somebody.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I'm kind of on the other end of it but it's common to criticize the self-esteem movement which body positivity and fat acceptance are products of, I don't think people should be treated worse for being in bad shape but it gets kooky when they deny that its a bad shape at all. 'Healthy at any weight' is an absolutely absurd belief, Most people can lose weight through simple diet and exercise, it is a discipline issue and a real problem with our modern diets & sedentary lifestyles. I feel bad for people who have let themselves so far gone that they don't think any other life is possible, it can take a long time but it's possible I believe for anybody if they stick with it long enough. It's not just doing it to lose weight, it's a lifestyle change that has to stick. I respect people that at least try, that's all you can ask from somebody.

I am bothered by places it's socialized medicine where tax payers pay for the obese. Same with smokers and drinkers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:03 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

Nice to agree with each other. Do you think obesity is becoming more acceptable? Disliking fat people seems weird to me, because there are so many of them? I can get disliking small groups because of the fact that people interact with them less. I have to admit my biggest problem with obesity is my fear of becoming obese. So many of the things that I love to do would be much harder fat.

I think overweight people are being recognized as being attractive because there are so many these days. The truth is, overweight people have always been getting married and having families; it's just something that's being acknowledged today. The notion of a malnourished super model setting the standard for beauty is absurd, as starving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Years ago, Marilyn Monroe was considered the standard of beauty, though today many would consider her fat. A woman can be beautiful, even if she is big. I think what we need to keep in mind is, one should avoid becoming too morbidly obese, just as one should avoid starving oneself to death.
I myself am overweight - not nearly as overweight as I've been in the past (when I got married, I was approaching three hundred fifty pounds!), but today, floating around the 270' and 280s, neither am I as thin as I have been. The battle of the bulge is a tough fight, and a worthy one, and one should not be scorned if one is losing at the moment.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

I think overweight people are being recognized as being attractive because there are so many these days. The truth is, overweight people have always been getting married and having families; it's just something that's being acknowledged today. The notion of a malnourished super model setting the standard for beauty is absurd, as starving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Years ago, Marilyn Monroe was considered the standard of beauty, though today many would consider her fat. A woman can be beautiful, even if she is big. I think what we need to keep in mind is, one should avoid becoming too morbidly obese, just as one should avoid starving oneself to death.
I myself am overweight - not nearly as overweight as I've been in the past (when I got married, I was approaching three hundred fifty pounds!), but today, floating around the 270' and 280s, neither am I as thin as I have been. The battle of the bulge is a tough fight, and a worthy one, and one should not be scorned if one is losing at the moment.

My mother is obese and I see the suffering it causes her. A lot of runways have stopped using size zero models. I remember an interesting study that plus size models can encourage people to remain fat. The study recommended a range of model sizes and more average weight models.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:27 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

My mother is obese and I see the suffering it causes her. A lot of runways have stopped using size zero models. I remember an interesting study that plus size models can encourage people to remain fat. The study recommended a range of model sizes and more average weight models.

I totally agree.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

I totally agree.

Cool, what do you think will stop obesity? I think we should subsidize healthier foods, turn unused government land to gardens, and teach nutrition more.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

I totally agree.

Cool, what do you think will stop obesity? I think we should subsidize healthier foods, turn unused government land to gardens, and teach nutrition more.

That sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't want to spoil all pristine wilderness for these gardens, though some could go to that. I think big business should also do their part and develop healthy gardens, if they want to convince us that they're somehow really good guys. Both government and corporate gardens could employ a bunch of people.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Any time. 8)

I totally agree.

That sounds pretty good, though I wouldn't want to spoil all pristine wilderness for these gardens, though some could go to that. I think big business should also do their part and develop healthy gardens, if they want to convince us that they're somehow really good guys.

I more mean unused lots in cities. I think that could help the families by providing extra income too. They could sell some of their crops. It would also teach children an appreciation of nature.