Autistic Man Successfully Sues Gym Who Called Him Stupid

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:44 am

>> Click here for the story <<

I don't usually rely on Unilad for news, but this is an awesome story. 8)

I bet Virgin Gyms are feeling stupid now!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:20 am

This is scary.

No free speech laws in the UK?

In the US, we welcome free speech. Especially, when it offends people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 12:53 pm

Existing thread about this topic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:17 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
This is scary.

The endless anti Trump threads and the tactical moderation regarding them tells me otherwise.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:27 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
This is scary.

The endless anti Trump threads and the tactical moderation regarding them tells me otherwise.

This website can make any rule it wants, however, legally, the 1st amendment will supersede those rules.

So, contrary to the above article, this website has no legal recourse action available to it.

Users could say the most God-awful, offensive things, and the law provides no legal recourse (a few exceptions exist), and likewise the 1st amendment would be there if Trump decides to sue this website.

Apparently, that's different in the UK.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:53 pm

I support the claimant's actions, but not for purposes of advocacy. I'm getting to the point, in these discussions, where I am not principled, in respect to freedom of speech or social justice. I am not speaking on behalf of my religion, per se. I just don't like the oafish instructor or business, which employed him. I think it comes down to a personal conflict, and the rest is just details.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:58 pm

I have been singled out, in the real world, when being harmless or guileless. I have seen it happen to other people.

There was no prejudice, based on demographics or personal ability. There was no personality or logistical conflict.

I feel it was the use of free will -- a simple decision, to pick on someone.

I don't feel sorry for the bully, no matter how recourse was taken.

I am not calling it intellectually-honest, or within the spirit of the law. Maybe, he doesn't even have autism. But, I don't care.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:08 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
This is scary.

Just tell any staff about your disorder and if they call you dumb or stupid, etc. you can sue them but it took this guy two years to do it because he spent that time researching laws to see if he can sue and he was his own lawyer. He won a lawsuit due to discrimination and he had to prove it was discrimination and this was based on his disability.

In the US the same rules apply too when suing. You have to prove.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:25 pm

Quote:
It was a triumph for Ketan as he won the case and Virgin Active was ordered to pay him £190 in costs and £1200 in compensation, as well as an apology.

Spending two years of your life to squeeze £1,400 out of a business that was rude to you doesn't seem like an intelligent use of one's time...

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

Maybe, it was petty.

So, speaking technically, is there any outward reason why Mr. Aggarwal would be so conspicuously-autistic, as to be unmistakably handicapped.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
This is scary.

Even in the United States, engaging in slander or libel is actionable. And, when there is a contractual obligation (like a gym membership), it only makes the results seem hillarious. Sir Richard Branson doesn't like bad press or giving away his money.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:14 pm

League_Girl wrote:
He won a lawsuit due to discrimination and he had to prove it was discrimination and this was based on his disability.

Discrimination is an action.

What discriminatory act took place?

AspieUtah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
This is scary.

Even in the United States, engaging in slander or libel is actionable. And, when there is a contractual obligation (like a gym membership), it only makes the results seem hillarious. Sir Richard Branson doesn't like bad press or giving away his money.

Calling someone "stupid" is opinion, not slander.

Opinion is free speech.

Now if he said "Your IQ is below 50", then it would be an factually incorrect statement, not mere opinion, and possibly slander.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:47 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Opinion is free speech.

Now if he said "Your IQ is below 50", then it would be an factually incorrect statement, not mere opinion, and possibly slander.

Yes, it is his opinion, but it was also intentionally malicious. According to Black's Law Dictionary, slander is "the speaking of false and malicious words concerning another, whereby injury results to his reputation" ( http://thelawdictionary.org/slander/ ). When the individual in question spoke words that were false, malicious and injurious, he committed slander. Slander is actionable in court.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:02 am

AspieUtah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Opinion is free speech.

Yes, it is his opinion, but it was also intentionally malicious. According to Black's Law Dictionary, slander is "the speaking of false and malicious words concerning another, whereby injury results to his reputation" ( http://thelawdictionary.org/slander/ ). When the individual in question spoke words that were false, malicious and injurious, he committed slander. Slander is actionable in court.

opinion is not false though

the instructor actually believed this autistic guy was acting stupidly

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:16 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Opinion is free speech.

The court decided otherwise.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:25 am

AspieUtah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Opinion is free speech.

The court decided otherwise.

No it didn't.

The court ruled that calling an ASD person "stupid" is discrimination.