Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 3:14 am

Washington University in St. Louis

Quote:
Doctor Constantino says some of the most promising research comes from toddlers earliest developmental factors that give rise to symptoms of Autism. “Those developmental factors and forces that collide together to produce the condition are actually, they look different than what the symptoms of Autism are in the first place and this has really helped us to understand the sort of buildings blocks of not what only causes Autism, but what we might do, very early in development to try to prevent it.

Constantino says the main focus, the precise way in which children use their eyes and their senses to orient their social world around them. “Things start to happen very, very early that children with Autism orient in different ways than typically developing children.”

Constantino says other research is being done in genetics and brain imaging

Bolding is mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Washington University in St. Louis

Quote:
Doctor Constantino says some of the most promising research comes from toddlers earliest developmental factors that give rise to symptoms of Autism. “Those developmental factors and forces that collide together to produce the condition are actually, they look different than what the symptoms of Autism are in the first place and this has really helped us to understand the sort of buildings blocks of not what only causes Autism, but what we might do, very early in development to try to prevent it.

Constantino says the main focus, the precise way in which children use their eyes and their senses to orient their social world around them. “Things start to happen very, very early that children with Autism orient in different ways than typically developing children.”

Constantino says other research is being done in genetics and brain imaging

Bolding is mine

Interesting. I'm not sure how the neurological structure of the autistic brain at birth is supposed to be prevented. I do know through a lot of early intervention there can be ways to help a child find a way to work around certain neurological/cognitive impairments.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 3:56 pm

They need to know what exactly causing it first; and what it is genetically-wise.

They still know nothing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 6:20 pm

Courchesne has a very interesting theory which states, in essence, that neural connections in the first two years of life are too abundant; therefore, the brain grows more rapidly in those two years.

There is also the notion that the "autistic brain" has difficulty filtering out irrelevant, extraneous details of things (or what most people would find irrelevant or extraneous). Hence, they see EVERY aspect of something, rather than merely the general outline of something. They see the "parts" in this situation, rather than the "whole."