NASA about to announce Existence of Aliens

Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:19 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
I do believe that the prospect of this planet being the only one in the universe with live is absurd

That's essentially all the Drake equation is modelling. Based on the number of "likely" earth like planets the statistical probability that earth is the only habitable planet in the universe with life is so large that it's almost impossible that it's the case. I don't think Drake's algorithm is powerful enough to gauge the existence of sentient beings elsewhere given the number of catostrophic and geological events on earth that lead to human evolution

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:30 pm

My brother did a bit of research about this when I mentioned it to him and apparently NASA has come out and said that this is wrong and that there are no pending announcements about alien life.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 3:27 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
. . . I do believe that the prospect of this planet being the only one in the universe with live is absurd

I would add that it's also arrogant to think the universe exists only for humanity's benefit.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:11 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
In actual truth, it was the hacking group Anonymous that stated: NASA is about to announce the existence of alien life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/06/26/someone-made-a-ridiculous-video-about-nasa-finding-aliens-news-outlets-took-the-bait/?utm_term=.cfb2397d3acf

'Anonymous' :roll:

I wouldn't believe those silly people if they told me that two plus two equals four.

Well, it's now the 11th of July, so where are these supposed aliens? From NASA nothing but silence on the matter. Oh yes, of course, it's all part of a "big conspiracy" to cover up and hide the truth from the plebs, because apparently most of us couldn't handle the truth, whatever that may be, regarding the existence/non-existence of aliens. The 'New World Order' and all of that, which deserves a triple eyeroll - :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:16 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:
. . . I do believe that the prospect of this planet being the only one in the universe with live is absurd

I would add that it's also arrogant to think the universe exists only for humanity's benefit.

You see, that's the thing - it doesn't seem to exist for anyone's "benefit". We are here, and we don't understand how or why, and as far as anyone can tell there may no reason for any of it at all. Hell, even the Bible entertains that possibility (Ecclesiastes). There's nothing "arrogant" in assuming that we are the only ones here, especially since thus far we have found precisely ZERO evidence for even alien microbes.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:24 pm

Lintar wrote:
From NASA nothing but silence on the matter.

That's not entirely true, NASA has specifically said in response to this Anonymous thing that there are no pending announcements about aliens.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope there is life on other planets.

Whoever discovers it will make millions of dollars. I hope the person who actually found it gets most of the credit.

What? 8O

Alien life is mentioned, and the first thing you think of is money and who gets the credit? That's not what the search for alien life is all about, and if there is someone doing it in the hope they will receive cash and credit from it, then they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:26 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
Lintar wrote:
From NASA nothing but silence on the matter.

That's not entirely true, NASA has specifically said in response to this Anonymous thing that there are no pending announcements about aliens.

Yes, you're right, they responded to this specific 'Anonymous' claim (by denying it). Other than that there is just no story here. That's what I should have said.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

amuuurica will be the absolute last nation whose gov't comes clean about it, and it likely will never happen here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:38 am

auntblabby wrote:
amuuurica will be the absolute last nation whose gov't comes clean about it, and it likely will never happen here.

I'm inclined to agree with this. There's some evidence that Orson Welles War of the World's radio drama perfectly illustrated the reaction of the American public to knowledge that earth was being invaded by martians. There was classic mass hysteria.

Although modern society is more sophisticated and less likely to react in the same way I suspect the national security apparatus in the US would deliberately choose to withhold evidence of advanced alien visitation in order to prevent risk of riots/looting. Of course this would imply complicity of aliens to not reveal their presence either.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:57 pm

Lintar wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope there is life on other planets.

Whoever discovers it will make millions of dollars. I hope the person who actually found it gets most of the credit.

What? 8O

Alien life is mentioned, and the first thing you think of is money and who gets the credit? That's not what the search for alien life is all about, and if there is someone doing it in the hope they will receive cash and credit from it, then they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

On top of that I don't know how you would "make millions" off of such a discovery anyway.

If you mean NASA finds the signature of plant photosynthesis in the atmosphere of a distant exoplanet, or even if Arecibo picks up the broadcast of the Grey Alien equivalent of "I Love Lucy" no one would make any fortune off of it. It would already be in the public domain.

Now if someone found a paperclip left by an alien space craft in their back yard here on the earth's surface that person might be able to shake down some money for it from like the History Channel.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 6:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
plant photosynthesis in the atmosphere of a distant exoplanet

Photosynthesis can be microbial and doesn't require chlorophyll, I think it won't be long before the technology to detect spectrum profiles of photosynthesis in distant earth like planets is developed
naturalplastic wrote:
Now if someone found a paperclip left by an alien space craft in their back yard here on the earth's surface that person might be able to shake down some money for it from like the History Channel.

The UFO disclosure project, held at the Washington National press club, way back in 2001, heard testimony from a variety of high profile members of the military about (among other things) unidentified objects entering air space of nuclear facilities. The latter should have triggered a national alert but strangely was not taken seriously.

Given our legal system can use testimony from a "reliable" witness to put people in jail it's odd that testimony from people like the governor of Arizona or Robert Salas an airforce nuclear launch officer isn't treated seriously? sometimes you don't need a paper clip from a flying saucer to know something is amiss...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
On wrong planet

Sorry Trump too late to build a wall :D

I'm a green alien of the Sweet Pea variety. :ninja: (Hippea)

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jul 2017, 2:05 am

^^^I would love such aliens as your kind! :D

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:53 pm

radio signals from a planet 11 million years away from earth could be from extraterrestrials
http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... fe63304fad

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

if so there is a good chance that such a civilization is but an echo from the 11 million year-ago past. I suspect that really advanced [k-scale 2 or more] space-faring civilizations do not use radio signals, or don't use them the way we do.