Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mormon-church-girl-comes-out-as-gay-microphone-cut/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:35 am

Judging by the reaction she may as well have been speaking to an ISIS convention for all the good it would have done

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Judging by the reaction she may as well have been speaking to an ISIS convention for all the good it would have done

But at least this is a start. Maybe this will cause a landslide of brave Mormon individuals coming out.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 3:11 pm

Just as the LDS Church has on its official web site some pages like this ( https://www.lds.org/topics/disability/l ... g&old=true ) about autism, it also includes some pages like this ( https://www.lds.org/topics/same-sex-attraction?lang=eng and https://mormonandgay.lds.org/ ) about LGBT people. While it isn't exactly what LGBT people would use to describe themselves, the church is trying to support within the confines of its beliefs. It continues to donate food and cash to a homeless LGBT youth center in Salt Lake City. Gone are the days when local church leaders could say and do almost anything about and to LGBT people.

Having stated that, I have my problems with the church, too. It appears to be at its best only when the world is watching some outrageous behavior(s) like the recent policy that effectively shunned the children of LGBT families. It seems to have no long-term plans yet for these topics. Too bad.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

Coming from someone who is neither an out homosexual nor a Mormon, you have knowingly hijacked an unwelcoming venue, rather than providing social support, at your own personal sacrifice. There could presumably be some clique of tweenage lesbians, which never overruns the church, in theory.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But at least this is a start. Maybe this will cause a landslide of brave Mormon individuals coming out.

The general trend in Australia is young people are leaving christianity in droves. I suspect the process is happening in the states just a bit slower.

The Mormons and Scientology can therefore only persist if they hide/control their kids like may cults do from the outside world

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 6:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The general trend in Australia is young people are leaving christianity in droves. I suspect the process is happening in the states just a bit slower.

The Mormons and Scientology can therefore only persist if they hide/control their kids like may cults do from the outside world

The LDS Church just announced that its membership for 2016 grew at the slowest rate in 80 years. With the aging of its leadership approaching their 90s and beyond, it will likely see a resurgence of acceptance or a doubling down of segregation.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:48 pm

People on the Mormon / LDS / etc spectrum are outwardly impeccable, imho. Other denominations should be so reputable. It is not a personality conflict, when say I have doctrinal disagreements; these people are typically, very gracious. I am uncouth and not a good example of cultural conservatism.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

cyberdad wrote:

Not just ISIS. I seriously doubt that would have gone over very well at any mosque.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 7:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not just ISIS. I seriously doubt that would have gone over very well at any mosque.

Probably not...