Page 2 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Marriage a joke these days. I think in Vegas they literally have a marriage drive thru. "I'll have a Big Mac, fries and a spouse". A couple of months later they're at a divorce drive thru .

Marrying someone you love is a joke?

It seems to be for many as I described above.

Having fun while getting married doesn't lessen the sacredness of the institution.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Call it the slippery slope argument, or reductio ad absurdum, but social justice warfare has no end. If you have some kind of standards, any, at all, anywhere, those will eventually get offended, by one of the next waves of your own movement, like the first and second wave feminists, who have resigned from demonstrating, out of disgust, or the hippies who got jobs, after the Weathermen Underground. If Milo can give grumpy-old-man lectures, in sparkly clothes and wigs, then, you, too, can be 'the man.'

Kraichgauer wrote:
So we're just supposed to stop caring about those in society who don't get a fair shake?

You haven't drawn a line, anywhere, which says what is fair, and what is a victory. It's like military Keynesianism, which goes from country to country, in unending war. You go from safespace to safespace, trying to referee.

Both sides would be happy to say, to each his own. There is no fight, to break up, no winner for you leftists to declare. There is no favoritism for you to exercise, until you decide, for everyone else, that they should be fighting. These are contrived offenses.

Anything bad, which can be said against gay people (or straights) is already acknowledged, and, ideally -- if they are moral adults -- will take responsibility, in private. There is a long list of things on both sides. We both acknowledge it. There is nothing for you to judge.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 6:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Marriage a joke these days. I think in Vegas they literally have a marriage drive thru. "I'll have a Big Mac, fries and a spouse". A couple of months later they're at a divorce drive thru .

Having fun while getting married doesn't lessen the sacredness of the institution.

If you say spontaneous cheesy marriages with revolving door divorces displays sacredness by toady's standards, I won't disagree.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

EzraS wrote:
If you say spontaneous cheesy marriages with revolving door divorces displays sacredness by toady's standards, I won't disagree.

For many gay couples monogamous love and marriage is a serious issue much the same as hetero couples...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

For many gay couples monogamous love and marriage is a serious issue much the same as hetero couples...

I was thinking of hetero marriages, marriage in general.
Probably a lot of my attitude has do to the umpteen kids I've known of with divorced parents and all their step parents and step siblings. "My parents divorced when I was two" "I just go a new step mom/dad/brother/sister...again". It seems about the same as buying and then trading in one car for another.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:
Call it the slippery slope argument, or reductio ad absurdum, but social justice warfare has no end. If you have some kind of standards, any, at all, anywhere, those will eventually get offended, by one of the next waves of your own movement, like the first and second wave feminists, who have resigned from demonstrating, out of disgust, or the hippies who got jobs, after the Weathermen Underground. If Milo can give grumpy-old-man lectures, in sparkly clothes and wigs, then, you, too, can be 'the man.'

Kraichgauer wrote:
So we're just supposed to stop caring about those in society who don't get a fair shake?

You haven't drawn a line, anywhere, which says what is fair, and what is a victory. It's like military Keynesianism, which goes from country to country, in unending war. You go from safespace to safespace, trying to referee.

Both sides would be happy to say, to each his own. There is no fight, to break up, no winner for you leftists to declare. There is no favoritism for you to exercise, until you decide, for everyone else, that they should be fighting. These are contrived offenses.

Anything bad, which can be said against gay people (or straights) is already acknowledged, and, ideally -- if they are moral adults -- will take responsibility, in private. There is a long list of things on both sides. We both acknowledge it. There is nothing for you to judge.

What is fair is for everyone to be treated as equals, and with respect, and accorded the same rights as everyone. For whole groups of people, those considerations had not been been given to them for far too long, and in some cases, they still face wrongful discrimination. The fight will continue probably forever, as human treatment of others is a sewer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

How do you know those "cheesy" marriages all end in divorce?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:23 pm

Honestly, people often don't understand the cheesy Vegas marriages and feel shocked when they have to file a real divorce later. A better example would be Gingrich's six marriages and the sordid details.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Honestly, people often don't understand the cheesy Vegas marriages and feel shocked when they have to file a real divorce later. A better example would be Gingrich's six marriages and the sordid details.

Aw, but Newt said was unfaithful only because he loved America so much. :P
So when he's cheating with the next tart (the future Mrs Gingrich), just remember America, when he's f*cking her, he's really f*cking you!! ! :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 9:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm just expressing my opinion good sir. I'm allowed do that aren't I? You don't have to challenge everything I think to death you know.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm just expressing my opinion good sir. I'm allowed do that aren't I? You don't have to challenge everything I think to death you know.

Of course.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 3:18 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I was thinking of hetero marriages, marriage in general.
Probably a lot of my attitude has do to the umpteen kids I've known of with divorced parents and all their step parents and step siblings. "My parents divorced when I was two" "I just go a new step mom/dad/brother/sister...again". It seems about the same as buying and then trading in one car for another.

That's why they deserve to experience the realities of marriage...it will be educational for them

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 6:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
That's why they deserve to experience the realities of marriage...it will be educational for them

(The artificialities of state-sanctioned marriage.) They are proposing something compulsory, not organic.

There have been different, social experiments, in which they intentionally tried to destroy the concept of gender, in isolated communes. Humanity has already been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But, when everyone is in a state of complete gender disorientation, they lose the plot. The social justice narrative breaks down. Biology kicks-in.

Those cis-het white people, so viciously persecuted by judicial activists, have already started to win court cases, making their lawfare (a contraction of law and warfare) a risky gamble.

When the avant garde becomes the establishment (here, a formal institution, as a matter of law) back-to-basics becomes a means of rebellion. There is no other path to progress. You have already been through all this, before. We can skip to the end of the book. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 10:23 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

(The artificialities of state-sanctioned marriage.) They are proposing something compulsory, not organic.

There have been different, social experiments, in which they intentionally tried to destroy the concept of gender, in isolated communes. Humanity has already been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But, when everyone is in a state of complete gender disorientation, they lose the plot. The social justice narrative breaks down. Biology kicks-in.

Those cis-het white people, so viciously persecuted by judicial activists, have already started to win court cases, making their lawfare (a contraction of law and warfare) a risky gamble.

When the avant garde becomes the establishment (here, a formal institution, as a matter of law) back-to-basics becomes a means of rebellion. There is no other path to progress. You have already been through all this, before. We can skip to the end of the book. :)

Marriage in the modern west is a choice, so how is it conceivably compulsory?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm

You didn't know there are strings attached, where someone can lose their entire livelihood?

I could agree to a 'covenant marriage' with something along the lines of a prenuptial, more homestead and homeschool-like, I mean.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
You didn't know there are strings attached, where someone can lose their entire livelihood?

I could agree to a 'covenant marriage' with something along the lines of a prenuptial, more homestead and homeschool-like, I mean.

That's not my personal experience; I plan to be married till death-do-us-part. My parents were married till my father's death. And there was no prenup in either case. And what does that have to do with the matter at hand?