Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:35 am

Germany has just legalized same sex marriage!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:17 am

Yay Germany!!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:39 am

Can anyone imagine one of our leading representatives agreeing to hold a vote where they know they will personally oppose the outcome? Would McConnell agree to have a vote on any bill he personally opposed, if he knew it would pass? We have evidence that Paul Ryan and John Boehner refused to allow bills to come up for a vote when the bills had enough votes overall to pass, because they didn't find the support strong enough within their own party.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 12:25 pm

Angela Merkel herself voted against it "out of personal conviction" according to the crawl on the bottom of the screen on my cable news this morning. I guess she is trying to piss off both American liberals (who tend to be for SSM), and American rightwing Trumpsters (who all already demonize her because she is pro refugee)! Lol!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:59 pm

How many refugees have come to live with you, and why does anyone care whether I think they are married.

The institution of marriage and territorial boundaries have no inherent meaning, right?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

Call it the slippery slope argument, or reductio ad absurdum, but social justice warfare has no end. If you have some kind of standards, any, at all, anywhere, those will eventually get offended, by one of the next waves of your own movement, like the first and second wave feminists, who have resigned from demonstrating, out of disgust, or the hippies who got jobs, after the Weathermen Underground. If Milo can give grumpy-old-man lectures, in sparkly clothes and wigs, then, you, too, can be 'the man.'

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:05 pm

Marriage a joke these days. I think in Vegas they literally have a marriage drive thru. "I'll have a Big Mac, fries and a spouse". A couple of months later they're at a divorce drive thru .

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm

They say that they didn't want to re-think it; they wanted to ruin it.

But, I prefer a commonlaw sort-of arrangement, anyway.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:43 pm

EzraS wrote:
Marriage a joke these days. I think in Vegas they literally have a marriage drive thru. "I'll have a Big Mac, fries and a spouse". A couple of months later they're at a divorce drive thru .

Except now of course you'll be hearing "Hiermit erkläre ich Sie zu Mann und Mann" in Deutschland

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 1:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Except now of course you'll be hearing "Hiermit erkläre ich Sie zu Mann und Mann" in Deutschland

Those people need to learn to speak English.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jul 2017, 3:04 am

Actually Ezra, many Germans can speak English very well but how many Americans that you know can speak German? :D

To me it's a fairly easy language to read, though not as easy as Dutch since I'm from South Africa and Dutch is almost a twin to Afrikaans which which it's developed. The only things I battle with in German are those squiggly looking Eszetts...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 3:46 am

EzraS wrote:

Marrying someone you love is a joke?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 3:47 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Call it the slippery slope argument, or reductio ad absurdum, but social justice warfare has no end. If you have some kind of standards, any, at all, anywhere, those will eventually get offended, by one of the next waves of your own movement, like the first and second wave feminists, who have resigned from demonstrating, out of disgust, or the hippies who got jobs, after the Weathermen Underground. If Milo can give grumpy-old-man lectures, in sparkly clothes and wigs, then, you, too, can be 'the man.'

So we're just supposed to stop caring about those in society who don't get a fair shake?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:12 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Actually Ezra, many Germans can speak English very well but how many Americans that you know can speak German? :D

To me it's a fairly easy language to read, though not as easy as Dutch since I'm from South Africa and Dutch is almost a twin to Afrikaans which which it's developed. The only things I battle with in German are those squiggly looking Eszetts...

I think it's usually the case that someone else speaks English, rather than Americans speaking something else. My best internet friend is from Quebec, so naturally we talk in English together because I don't speak French... or any other language.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Marrying someone you love is a joke?

It seems to be for many as I described above.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 11:55 am

Na endlich! It is about time