Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

Dead from Alzheimer's at the age of 82. The Wichita lineman no no longer on the line.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm

Always liked that song. Thought it was very evocative of Kansas (where one set of grandparents lived). In fact all of his music is very evocative of the era when the family would pile into the car and take cross country road trips from Washington DC to the Midwest and the far west to see the relatives. Gentle on My Mind, Galveston, By the Time I Get To Phoenix, et al. Maybe some of it was actually on the car radio at the time while we were driving across the prairies, or maybe not, but when I think of those family road trips of my late sixties childhood Glen Campbells music is part of the soundtrack of my memories.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 2:34 am

1967 was wow for him! Rhinestone Cowboy easily my favourite of his songs and I think I heard it was his favourite too, because he related to it so much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 6:17 am

He also had a primetime TV show for a good while: The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

He also played with The Beach Boys on their tours.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 4:27 pm

"Everybody's talkin at me, but I don't hear a word their sayin, only he echoes of my mind"

Classic line!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

I definitely had a fondness, for him----I've been singing "Rhinestone Cowboy", all day!! LOL (They keep playin' it, in news reports.)

He dropped an album, just a couple of months, ago----AFTER his Alzheimer's diagnosis----it is entitled "Adios". He will definitely be missed.

My condolences, to his family.

R.I.P.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 2:40 pm

Nilsson had the hit with "Everybody's Talking....." It was in the movie "Easy Rider."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nilsson had the hit with "Everybody's Talking....." It was in the movie "Easy Rider."

That would be "Midnight Cowboy" also released in 1969.

Interview with Alice Cooper on late musician Glen Campbell

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

The most memorable song from Midnight Cowboy by far (and the most air time). I recall it playing in the final scene on the bus, as Ratso is dying. That film as a whole is one of the most significantly memorable of the 1960s, and really broke through boundaries previously taboo in USA films - male prostitution wasn't even acknowledged or spoken about in real life let alone the movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Cowboy

It's a great song which has really worn well over time. Did Glen Campbell cover it perhaps?

(Yes, he did do a cover of it: http://theboot.com/glen-campbell-everybodys-talkin/)

Excerpt:
Campbell’s version of “Everybody’s Talkin'” is a cover. The song was originally written by Fred Neil, who released his version of the track on a self-titled album in 1967. The song rose to popularity, however, after Harry Nilsson recorded it and released it as a single in 1968; in 1969, Nilsson’s version was used as the theme song for the movie Midnight Cowboy and hit No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100. Nilsson received a Grammys trophy for “Everybody’s Talkin’,” and the song has since been covered by a number of artists, and been used in movies such as Forrest Gump, Borat and The Hangover Part III.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

Ooops....how embarrassing! LOL....Got the wrong movie!

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:38 pm

Jeepers. Glen was just about as old as I am. I hope I last 24 more days until I reach the next anniversary of my birth.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
[color=#9932CC][b]I definitely had a fondness, for him----I've been singing "Rhinestone Cowboy", all day!! LOL (They keep playin' it, in news reports.

Ahhh the memories from my childhood!!