Australia blocks right to vote on grounds of "disability"

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11925558

How widely do they apply that rule? Can any of our Australian members enlighten me?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Like most of us, she went onto the electoral roll when she was 18. However about six years ago, Shea came to the conclusion that she didn't understand the preferential voting system well enough and after discussing the issue with her parents decided to go off the roll - a decision she has lived to regret.

There's your answer. She herself came to the conclusion that she didn't understand how it all works, and there aren't many ways that a person can get themselves off the roll once they have put themselves on it (ex. emigrating to another country is one).

Quote:
Reflecting back, Fran recalls: "At the time we thought it was the right decision for her.

"Looking back now it was obviously not a good move."

We? Obviously this decision wasn't one that she made on her own, she had advice from others at the time, and she would have had to have given her reason(s) to the Electoral Commission. If a person is intellectually handicapped, then they just cannot vote. That's the way it is, and that's the way it should be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm

WTF!! I never knew such a law existed in Australia??

The woman in question not only got into university but actually completed two years of study and is a disablity advocate! quite bizarre if she is classified as "too intellectually impaired to vote" that doesn't say much for the intelligence of the 70% of Australians who can't get into university????

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm

Lintar wrote:
If a person is intellectually handicapped, then they just cannot vote. That's the way it is, and that's the way it should be.

Since your an self-declared expert what is the cutt-off for deciding who is intellectually handicapped??

Also since when did sombody with Aspergers syndrome feel they are entitled to cast judgement on other people with disabilities?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:
If a person is intellectually handicapped, then they just cannot vote. That's the way it is, and that's the way it should be.

Since your an self-declared expert what is the cutt-off for deciding who is intellectually handicapped??

Also since when did sombody with Aspergers syndrome feel they are entitled to cast judgement on other people with disabilities?

First off, I don't know where you got the idea that I think of myself as being some kind of "self-declared expert". The rules are there for a reason, and although they sometimes don't work the way they are supposed to, most of the time they do and we are better for having them.

Secondly, I'm not judging anyone. All I did was read the article and, based entirely upon what I found within it, drew my own conclusions regarding it. It was an impartial examination of the facts as presented by the article, and I gave my reasons for why I believe this has happened to her based upon those facts. That's it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:35 am

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

First off, I don't know where you got the idea that I think of myself as being some kind of "self-declared expert". The rules are there for a reason, and although they sometimes don't work the way they are supposed to, most of the time they do and we are better for having them.

Secondly, I'm not judging anyone. All I did was read the article and, based entirely upon what I found within it, drew my own conclusions regarding it. It was an impartial examination of the facts as presented by the article, and I gave my reasons for why I believe this has happened to her based upon those facts. That's it.

Well fair enough. Judging what B19 posted its within the framework of Australian law (being of sound mind to be a voter) and the lady volunteered to not make herself eligible.

Still not sure what constitutes not being of sound mind?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

There is a level of support for the idea the disabled should be seperated from the rest of society in Australia as seen recently with the nationalist politician who said autistic students should be seperated from other students. That is probably true everywhere. I do not know if support for seperating the disabled is higher there or just more open there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There is a level of support for the idea the disabled should be seperated from the rest of society in Australia as seen recently with the nationalist politician who said autistic students should be seperated from other students. That is probably true everywhere. I do not know if support for seperating the disabled is higher there or just more open there.

I think this is a global issue that crosses borders. Traditional societies are the worst in hiding disability (particularly East Asia)

In Australia up to the early 1980s the disabled were hidden away in institutions. I think there are many who would like to see disability swept away from public view. Two pronged approach - insititutionalise disabled, sterilise people with disability so as not to pass these genes. But I don't think Australia is unique by any means.

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2017, 6:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think this is a global issue that crosses borders. Traditional societies are the worst in hiding disability (particularly East Asia)

In Australia up to the early 1980s the disabled were hidden away in institutions. I think there are many who would like to see disability swept away from public view. Two pronged approach - insititutionalise disabled, sterilise people with disability so as not to pass these genes. But I don't think Australia is unique by any means.

It happened in the US as well. My mom knew people here that were forcibly sterilized for practically any reason- poverty, race, immigration status, religion, sexuality, criminal record, marital status or disability.

It actually still happens today, but it's rare. The last report of it was 8 years ago, when a California prison forcibly sterilized its female inmates.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:22 am

leniorose wrote:
It happened in the US as well. My mom knew people here that were forcibly sterilized for practically any reason- poverty, race, immigration status, religion, sexuality, criminal record, marital status or disability.

It actually still happens today, but it's rare. The last report of it was 8 years ago, when a California prison forcibly sterilized its female inmates.

Sterilization of the intellectually handicapped is actually encouraged here in Australia
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/7b7n ... ut-consent

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 10:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
leniorose wrote:

Sterilization of the intellectually handicapped is actually encouraged here in Australia
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/7b7n ... ut-consent

This type of Eugenics was common in America at one time. It was justified as the humane thing to do here also.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 9:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

It's neither. This 'nationalist politician' you mention (Pauline Hanson) is the leader of a fringe minority party, one that will never garner enough support to win office and govern in its own right. Most of us do not agree with most of her views, because they are simplistic, jingoistic and divisive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:12 am

Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

It's neither. This 'nationalist politician' you mention (Pauline Hanson) is the leader of a fringe minority party, one that will never garner enough support to win office and govern in its own right. Most of us do not agree with most of her views, because they are simplistic, jingoistic and divisive.

One of Hanson's lowest acts to attack little autistic kids to win right wing votes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 3:19 am

Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

That is similar to what everybody said about Donald Trump

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 3:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

That is similar to what everybody said about Donald Trump

Pauline Hanson ran a fish and chip shop, became bankrupt and spent some time in jail. She may face jail time again over allegations of corruption over personal use of party funds. Trump at least can bankroll his election campaign or bribe people to get out of trouble (like this Russian business).