Pres. Trump disrespects at least two military families.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 2:42 pm

Quote:

Fallen soldier’s mother: ‘Trump did disrespect my son’

Washington Post, Oct. 18, 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 0503881473

' . . . Sgt. La David T. Johnson’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, told The Washington Post that she was present during the call from the White House on Tuesday to Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson. She also stood by an account of the call from Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.) that Trump told Myeshia Johnson that her husband “must have known what he signed up for.” . . . '

Pres. Trump had said something like: He knew what he was getting into when he signed up, but I guess it hurts anyway.

That might be something you say three months after a death if you know someone very well. It is not something you say right after a death when you don't know a person hardly at all.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 2:53 pm

Quote:

Trump sends $25,000 check to fallen soldier's family on same day as Washington Post report

CNN, Oct. 18, 2017.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/18/politics/ ... index.html

'President Donald Trump sent a $25,000 personal check to the family of a fallen soldier the same day that The Washington Post reported that he had promised the soldier's father a personal donation during a June condolence call but never followed through. . . '

To state the obvious, Pres. Trump did not need to offer to do that. But once he did, he should have followed up (or called back and said that it just wasn't possible).

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

Quote:

Politics and the fallen: Trump hasn’t called all families of those who died in combat

Twin Cities (Associated Press), Oct. 17, 2017.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/17/tr ... -disputed/

' . . . Army Spc. Christopher Michael Harris, 25, of Jackson Springs, North Carolina, was killed along with another soldier in a suicide attack in Afghanistan in August.

'His widow, Brittany Harris, said the White House did offer to set up a call with Trump but “it fell through” and no letter came from the president. She figured Trump was too busy with the approach of Hurricane Harvey and North Korea woes. The family, though, saw Vice President Mike Pence at Dover Air Force Base, where they went to receive Michael’s remains, and found Pence’s words comforting.

'Now 17 weeks pregnant, Brittany Harris said she’s had an outpouring of support from the Pentagon and others in government, handwritten notes from Defense Secretary James Mattis and many others. “Everybody treats me like gold, salutes me, takes off their hats for me,” she said. . . '

It's good that other people stepped forward to offer their condolences in a respectful way.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

I think, when you know a family where someone has died, keep it short and sincere. Perhaps say, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

And maybe hug the person if it seems right.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:22 pm

Based on this who would want a call from Trump if a family member/partner is killed in the military...if he's just going to make a point to say something insensitive.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Based on this who would want a call from Trump if a family member/partner is killed in the military...if he's just going to make a point to say something insensitive.

People that want publicity, and $25,000.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:25 pm

People react differently in mourning. While most Aspies would prefer to be alone, I think the worse thing for some NTs is to feel abandoned.

So, if you say you are going to do something for a NT in mourning, I think it best if you follow through, or at least offer an apology of why you couldn't.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

The guy's a moron. I wouldn't volunteer for military service either but you do NOT say stuff like that to a grieving military family.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

People that want publicity, and $25,000.

And there isn't just the slightest chance that that Trump might have handled the call much more respectfully? :roll:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:58 pm

He can't help it. Which is why Kelly recommended he not make these calls.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

Quote:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washing ... story.html

' . . . Before Trump placed the calls, the president had asked what to say, and Kelly recounted for him what Kelly's best friend had said when Kelly's son, Lt. Robert Kelly, had died. The friend said the young man at the moment of his death was doing exactly what he wanted to do, that he knew what he was getting into and that he was surrounded by the “best men on earth” when he died. . . '

The difference is, that's what his best friend said to General Kelly.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:34 pm

I think they are lying and talking advantage of a tragedy.

Gold Star Widow Releases Trump’s Call After Husband Was Killed In Afghanistan
dailycaller.com
Daily Caller News Foundation
Politics

Gold star widow Natasha De Alencar released the audio of a phone conversation she had with President Donald Trump in April about the death of her husband who was killed in Afghanistan.

“I am so sorry to hear about the whole situation. What a horrible thing, except that he’s an unbelievable hero,” Trump told her in the call about her husband Army Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar, which The Washington Post released.

“Thank you. I really, really appreciated it,” she said. “I really do, sir.”

Trump also told the widow if she is ever in Washington D.C. that she is welcome in the Oval Office.

“If you’re around Washington, you come over and see me in the Oval Office,” he said. “You just come over and see me because you are just the kind of family … this is what we want.”

“Say hello to your children, and tell them your father he was a great hero that I respected,” Trump said. “Just tell them I said your father was a great hero.”

The phone call was released after White House Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly pushed back against Florida Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson’s criticism that Trump told a Gold Star widow “he knew what he signed up for.”

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 2:02 pm

This is our weekly/daily Trump (or someone in his family) said/did something extremely egregious and highly upsetting. And this is also a virtual recycle of the offended gold star family from during the campaign.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 3:14 pm

"It's what you do" Trumps offends people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I think they are lying and talking advantage of a tragedy.

Gold Star Widow Releases Trump’s Call After Husband Was Killed In Afghanistan
dailycaller.com
Daily Caller News Foundation
Politics

Gold star widow Natasha De Alencar released the audio of a phone conversation she had with President Donald Trump in April about the death of her husband who was killed in Afghanistan.

“I am so sorry to hear about the whole situation. What a horrible thing, except that he’s an unbelievable hero,” Trump told her in the call about her husband Army Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar, which The Washington Post released.

“Thank you. I really, really appreciated it,” she said. “I really do, sir.”

Trump also told the widow if she is ever in Washington D.C. that she is welcome in the Oval Office.

“If you’re around Washington, you come over and see me in the Oval Office,” he said. “You just come over and see me because you are just the kind of family … this is what we want.”

“Say hello to your children, and tell them your father he was a great hero that I respected,” Trump said. “Just tell them I said your father was a great hero.”

The phone call was released after White House Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly pushed back against Florida Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson’s criticism that Trump told a Gold Star widow “he knew what he signed up for.”

Mourning spouses and parents are trying to take advantage of Trump?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:14 pm

I don't believe Trump meant any harm.

He just believes in "toughing it out."

He sounds like a man who hasn't experienced much grief.