Deceit in Japan and a failed Australian cover up

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Lintar

You don't have the excuse of being too young to remember the twentieth century.

So why did you say "I wish I lived in the twentieth century when you were free to say anything" when you know full well that that statement is patently untrue of any era in the 20 century?

The fact is that speech was less free and the taboos against free speech were enforced by actual laws, and not just social pressure in the first half of the 20 century. Lucy and Ricki, and Bob and Laura, had to sleep in twin beds on TV.

There was a gradually decrease in puritanical taboos in the mid twentieth century, but a concurrent rise in other taboos that are now called "PC". But overall folks were at least as stuck up about speech fifty years ago as now.

So my question is this.

Did you make that statement about this nonexistent 20th century that you long for out of (1)deliberate dishonesty, or (2) out of stupidity?

That's a real question.

Which is it?

Are you a liar? Or are you just an idiot?

Naturalplastic, where I grew up - Australia in the 70's and 80's - one really could say whatever one liked. That's how it was. I don't remember the first half of the 20th century because I am not that old, but you are wrong about this, and no, I am NOT "a liar", nor am I "an idiot", so keep your stupid personal insults to yourself if you do not mind! :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 4:27 pm

Lintar wrote:
Naturalplastic, where I grew up - Australia in the 70's and 80's - one really could say whatever one liked. That's how it was.

Yes and in the old days it was acceptable to burp and fart in public but one does that now in the privacy of our homes. I think you need to think about restraining what you say as modern social etiquette. Yes it doesn't change what we think privately but it's just so unrefined to say racist or prejudiced stuff.

On the other hand happy to protest the bloodthirsty killing helpless innocent whales and dolphins regardless of the country (i.e. Japan) hiding behind racism to justify the practice

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Yes and in the old days it was acceptable to burp and fart in public but one does that now in the privacy of our homes.

Actually it wasn't. Some things were taboo or inappropriate, but speech never was. Political correctness simply did not exist back then. That's just a fact.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 12:24 am

Lintar wrote:
Political correctness simply did not exist back then. That's just a fact.

Another fact is that we are much wiser now about the psychological impact of vilification