Deceit in Japan and a failed Australian cover up

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 3:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
In the First World War the Brits called the Germans "the Huns".

Yes Prince Phillip famously said that the English are of "Hun" stock (meaning warrior stock) which is amusing as the Huns were originally a turkic people from central Asia.

Only one account is true because of course Germany hails from East Germanic/Bavarian/Dutch origins, and ancestrally, our livestock hails from Romanic origins. No eastern tribes applied, if anything, British people have globetrotted all over Prybestarian Europe and Byzantian Greece.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 6:13 am

Empathy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
In the First World War the Brits called the Germans "the Huns".

Yes Prince Phillip famously said that the English are of "Hun" stock (meaning warrior stock) which is amusing as the Huns were originally a turkic people from central Asia.

Only one account is true because of course Germany hails from East Germanic/Bavarian/Dutch origins, and ancestrally, our livestock hails from Romanic origins. No eastern tribes applied, if anything, British people have globetrotted all over Prybestarian Europe and Byzantian Greece.

Translation! a polygot!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 8:20 am

bunnyb wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Empathy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The Japs have been researching different versions of whale and dolphin Sushi for years so technically they are correct

Nothing like good o'l self-centered east Asian cultural demands overriding common morality

Oh wait!! well even the harbingers of environmental responsibility aren't immune to a bit of whale blubber
http://time.com/4370478/norway-whaling-report/

Just to let you know, while "Jap" might be acceptable in Australia, in other places it's considered an offensive racial slur.

He must have borrowed the phrase from us and in turn from the U .S for bombing Pearl Harbor.. correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno know who invented "Nip" and "Jap".

But be aware that Australia and New Zealand (then semi independent parts of the British Empire)are (a) both located in the Pacific Ocean, and (b) were our allies, in the Pacific Theater of WWII, and Australia narrowly escaped being conquered by the Japanese. So they had the same reasons to hate the Japanese as we did, and therefore might very well have hit upon the same insults for them as we did. British Empire territories (New Guinea, Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong) fell to the Japanese at the same time as the attack on Pearl Harbor. So they entered the war the same time that we did.

Um, you sure about that? :? I'm pretty sure we (Australia) entered WW2 in 1939. Pearl Harbour was December 1941.

That's true.

Britain and France declared war on Germany when Germany invaded Poland (in tandem with Russia also invading Poland) September first 1939. And thus the entire British Empire was also at war with Germany as well because it WAS the British Empire. So Australia and New Zealand were at war, BUT they were at war with Germany, and not with Japan.

The attack on Pearl Harbor was part of a bigger campaign: a tropical blitz across the whole south pacific. The attack on pearl coincided with the attack on the Phillipines (an American possession) French Indochina (French colonies), Malaya and Singapore (British Colonies), the Dutch East Indies (Dutch), and New Guinea (Anglo/Australian).

So though Australia and New Zealand had been technically at war with Germany and Italy in distant Europe since September 1939, they were not at war in their own Pacific neighborhood with Japan until essentially the same moment that the US entered World War two.

On top of that the US Congress and the President responded to Pearl Harbor by declaring war on Japan alone. Not on Germany. So for a few days we were ONLY at war with Japan, and NOT with Germany. Then Hitler declared war on the US in support of his ally (kinda made it easy for both sides - lets just have a gang rumble- instead of nitpicking who to throw punches at). So only then were both Churchill and Roosevelt at war with both Hitler and with Tojo.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 8:48 am

While WWII history is interesting, and racial slurs a compelling topic...I think the original post was about the fate of whales in our oceans and how some are using excuses to the extent they will become extinct. I could be wrong here...

I did get the joke and did smile quietly.

It particularly irks me when statements are made that thinly (or not so thinly) veil the truth, which seems to be the case with Japanese research into whales....I suppose actual hunting and killing irks the whales as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 4:02 pm

I also mentioned the Norwegians who kill more whales than all other countries put together. Norway is a progressive forward thinking country and the people should really know better

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 6:03 pm

Just to play the Devil's advocate:

So are the Japanese really violating the law, and are they really killing so many whales that it endangers species, and are the Sea Shepherds really NOT violating the law with their tactics?

I mean its fun to watch reruns of "Whale Wars" on TV and to root for the maritime vigilante Robin Hood group. But really, let's be grown ups, and what are the facts here?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 5:55 pm

blazingstar wrote:
While WWII history is interesting, and racial slurs a compelling topic...

I did get the joke and did smile quietly.

Those racial slurs you put as off topic, are no laughing matter. And anyone who does and thinks so, lives directly misquoted out of the history books. This is not Mein Kampf.
Like Americans racially and ethnically stating that the Ku Klux Clan is a recognised deity and
and more forthcoming. Rubbish, and BS. If it wasn't for blacks like MLK standing up for their human rights we'd all be part of one big boycott. There was never a pious meaning in all of that other than hatred of a 'lower ethnic class'.
This is where the West gets conflicted is in the States. When they(the office types), get sick of looking down on the little people of their inner city dwellings, their stress turns to blatant hatred and then quietly if not sadistically, they use their power to treat those worse off than them as slaves.
As an island, we learn by default,- that unless we accept those into our community who are reducing our need for existence and shifting the blame from our natural opposition, then we are beginning to realise that by indifference, without them, we can't function as a whole. Industrially, practically, artistically and perhaps legally .

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 6:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
No "nips" is racist but not "japs"

Both "yanks" and "Japs" originate from WWII newsclippings

While we Aussie "blokes" weren't too impressed with you'se "yanks" stealin our "shielas" (famous saying was US servicemen were overpaid, oversexed and over here)

Despite that we are eternally grateful "you'se blokes" for savin our "hides" from the "japs" at Midway...

:roll:

Quote:
Jap
[jap]
adjective, noun, Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
1. a contemptuous term used to refer to a Japanese person.

Jap _ Define Jap at Dictionary.com

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The Japs have been researching different versions of whale and dolphin Sushi for years so technically they are correct

Nothing like good o'l self-centered east Asian cultural demands overriding common morality

Oh wait!! well even the harbingers of environmental responsibility aren't immune to a bit of whale blubber

Just to let you know, while "Jap" might be acceptable in Australia, in other places it's considered an offensive racial slur.

What makes you think we even care about "other places"? In other fun facts about Australia:
1. We have a very popular brand of cheese called "Coon".
2. We used to have (back in the 70's) sweets that were called "Fags", and they were in the form of little cigarettes and were aimed at children.
3. We also had back then a red, sticky sweet that was called "Redskins", and it had a picture of an Indian on the wrapper.
I really miss the 20th century. There was none of this politically correct BS back then. Life was free, one could say what one liked without having to worry about anyone's precious "feelings".

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:13 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I also mentioned the Norwegians who kill more whales than all other countries put together. Norway is a progressive forward thinking country and the people should really know better

Yes, well, that's what being "progressive" results in - hypocrisy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:21 pm

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What makes you think we even care about "other places"? In other fun facts about Australia:
1. We have a very popular brand of cheese called "Coon".
2. We used to have (back in the 70's) sweets that were called "Fags", and they were in the form of little cigarettes and were aimed at children.
3. We also had back then a red, sticky sweet that was called "Redskins", and it had a picture of an Indian on the wrapper.
I really miss the 20th century. There was none of this politically correct BS back then. Life was free, one could say what one liked without having to worry about anyone's precious "feelings".

But in a civil society, one does have to take another's feelings into account.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:08 am

Lintar wrote:

If you are the one in a position to make nasty comments against others then yeah! life was sweet...

I suppose many Germans miss the "fun" of the late 1930s as well...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

If you are the one in a position to make nasty comments against others then yeah! life was sweet...

I wouldn't bet on the Germans longing for the old days, as some jackass American the other year, after getting drunk, gave a Nazi salute in public, earning a good beating from native Germans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 5:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

I wouldn't bet on the Germans longing for the old days, as some jackass American the other year, after getting drunk, gave a Nazi salute in public, earning a good beating from native Germans.

I think the first half of the 20th century Germany was a world power and I do think many Germans are nostalgic for that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 11:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

I think the first half of the 20th century Germany was a world power and I do think many Germans are nostalgic for that.

Actually, they pretty much run western Europe today without having fired a shot.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm

The Germans achieved dominance at the turn of the 20th century despite joining colonisation quite late.
In order to "catch up" the Germans and the Belgians brutalised their African colonial subjects (to extract their pound of flesh) in a manner not seen before...

It would seem the Germans conducted the world's first state sanctioned (i.e. where paper work was involved) genocide of native people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_an ... a_genocide

What made my jaw drop is they also organised the world's first concentration camps designed to exterminate women and children!! they collected the body parts of dead women and children to use for research and developed the first journals to publish what would become scientific racism

quite horrifically methodical and obviously predates Nazism