Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:19 pm

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/03/11/trump-harden-schools-shootings/

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:51 pm

I don't have any problem with the president saying that teachers, et al., at schools who WANT TO carry, should be able to do so.

I think alot of people are getting their panties in a twist because the MSM keeps using phrases like "arming teachers". Nobody (including the president) is saying "ALL teachers have to be armed"----what we're saying is, if people already have the training (say, an ex-cop or military person), already have their own gun(s), and are interested-in / supportive of the idea, they should be able to carry.

I think it would be totally ridiculous to MANDATE such a thing----if, for no other reason, than because if someone is scared of guns, they, most likely, will do something stupid.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 3:09 pm

I don't understand. We're already failing to adequately fund schools and Trump thinks the best rationale for giving teachers bonuses is guns?

He's not even willing to hire more security or train police?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 4:42 pm

cberg wrote:
I don't understand. We're already failing to adequately fund schools and Trump thinks the best rationale for giving teachers bonuses is guns?

Or consider gun control instead of maintaining the status quo of the NRA’s wet dream of America being the Wild Wild West into perpetuity..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

If a teacher is given a gun, he/she MUST obtain the proper training.

Otherwise, the gun could, easily, be used against that teacher.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 4:56 pm

Or there’s the same rationale provided by a university professor who pointed out that it’s impossible for an educator to educate if they’re constantly having to assess threats and keep themselves in a heightened state of defensive awareness while carrying a concealed weapon.. they’re teachers, not spies. This plan is beyond ridiculous.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 6:46 pm

cberg wrote:

I took it that these bonuses might come-from the Feds, as opposed to coming out of a school's budget (or a state's).

He didn't say one word about not being willing to hire security or police----he said he felt these issues (including teachers being able to take their guns to school) should be left up to the individual schools.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 7:50 pm

Ok but it's still bothersome that the fist thought is to arm people with a totally unrelated job before dedicating any more staff at all to stop indiscriminate killing. It's not thought through at all.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:11 pm

cberg wrote:
Ok but it's still bothersome that the fist thought is to arm people with a totally unrelated job before dedicating any more staff at all to stop indiscriminate killing. It's not thought through at all.

As I said on the other thread, it's not about "arming people"----it's about allowing those who ALREADY own guns, to carry them into the school, IF THEY WANT TO. As I also said on the other thread, it would be ridiculous to mandate such a thing----if, for no other reason but because those who were afraid of guns, would, most likely, do something stupid.

IMO, what's not thought-through, is people's overly-emotional responses to what they think they heard the president actually say.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:16 pm

Frankly I no longer recognize the president anyway. He claims patriotism yet selectively loves only the red parts of the map. I'm not a citizen of the divided states.

Everything he does embarrasses me as someone who once pledged allegiance.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:23 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
cberg wrote:

As I said on the other thread, it's not about "arming people"----it's about allowing those who ALREADY own guns, to carry them into the school, IF THEY WANT TO. As I also said on the other thread, it would be ridiculous to mandate such a thing----if, for no other reason but because those who were afraid of guns, would, most likely, do something stupid.

IMO, what's not thought-through, is people's overly-emotional responses to what they think they heard the president actually say.

So it's even less decisive than arming teachers.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2018, 8:33 pm

The school districts will find a way to create multiple bureaucratic blockades to teachers carrying weapons on school grounds, via paperwork, extra trainings, etc. They won’t risk being liable for an accident, or someone having an emotional breakdown and shooting the copier machine, or the vast hordes of angry parents who won’t want their kids in classrooms with guns. There was a great Dilbert comic years ago I’ve seen hanging in mutiple teacher lounges that describes a new office policy as a ‘dead woodchuck under the front porch’. This armed teacher idea is a woodchuck - it will make a big stink for a little while, then fade away with no lasting effect.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:37 pm

cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
cberg wrote:

So it's even less decisive than arming teachers.

He said it would be the TEACHERS' decision (and, of course, the teachers' union, school, school board, school district, etc.)----so, if anybody's being indecisive it's those people.

Again, you're using the same terminology as the inane / hysteria-inducing MSM----it's NOT about "arming teachers", it's about if they are ALREADY gun owners.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:41 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:44 pm

Ok but practically zero teachers even if they are gun owners want to carry guns around students, kids don't want this and it doesn't mean any more dedicated security staff. How half-assed is that? No extra dedicated individuals to protect kids? We already know this plan is totally ineffective. All it means is a slightly greater number of bullets flying on campuses not to mention the obvious risks of crossfire. Bullets can go straight through your strawman bad guy & into innocent bystanders.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2018, 8:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

You have to watch out for those teachers - they use weapons of math instruction