Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 8:35 am

While I am no fan of Trump, part of me liked Tillerson. If he fires Mad Dog, I am ready to help fire Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-ousts-tillerson-will-replace-him-as-secretary-of-state-with-cia-chief-pompeo/ar-BBKaaqF?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 10:29 am

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

He seemed like sort of the type of person who knew what he was doing (Tillerson).

I'm not a big fan of Tillerson--by no means I am.

Trump doesn't seem to like these sorts of folks.....folks who actually have competence in their chosen area.

Another example of throwing (a staunch supporter!) under the bus.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 12:53 pm

What's more worrying is the guy who is replacing him. Pompeo seems to be a complete war mongering psycho. The neocons are starting to infect Trump badly. Losing Flynn was the first major loss, this could be even worse.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:17 pm

That leaves an opening for CIA director,I've heard the replacement might be Peeping Tom Cotton,another neocon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

It's going to be the deputy of the outgoing CIA Director, who would be the first women CIA director ever.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:23 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
What's more worrying is the guy who is replacing him. Pompeo seems to be a complete war mongering psycho. The neocons are starting to infect Trump badly. Losing Flynn was the first major loss, this could be even worse.

Yeah, I was reading up on this on the BBC and this Pompeo guy certainly does sound like bad news. But from what I understand congress has to approve this appointment, so maybe they'll deny it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:33 pm

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the fact that this president has the highest turn over rate of any president in recent history.

More interesting is the different takes on this as it can be fitted to suit one's views.

For example, a Trump supporter may say Trump's willingness to fire people indicates he is a no bull leader with high standards to maintain a positive view of him while Trump's detractors may say that this is proof he is an incompetent leader who blames others for his failures or makes poor hiring decisions.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Yeah, I was reading up on this on the BBC and this Pompeo guy certainly does sound like bad news. But from what I understand congress has to approve this appointment, so maybe they'll deny it.

That would be great if they did. Maybe too many war mongers in there. Not good for North Korea, Syria, Palestine, Yemen, Iran or Russia.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 1:50 pm

Chronos wrote:
I'm surprised no one has pointed out the fact that this president has the highest turn over rate of any president in recent history.

More interesting is the different takes on this as it can be fitted to suit one's views.

For example, a Trump supporter may say Trump's willingness to fire people indicates he is a no bull leader with high standards to maintain a positive view of him while Trump's detractors may say that this is proof he is an incompetent leader who blames others for his failures or makes poor hiring decisions.

At least he has that record to boast about :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 5:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's going to be the deputy of the outgoing CIA Director, who would be the first women CIA director ever.

Trump's pick for new CIA chief dogged by secret prisons
Quote:
Gina Haspel, the veteran CIA undercover officer President Donald Trump picked on Tuesday to head the agency, is supported by many in the U.S. intelligence community but has faced criticism for overseeing a secret CIA prison in Thailand where detainees were tortured.

ntelligence officers who served with her, and congressional officials said that in 2002, during Republican President George W. Bush’s administration, she was responsible for the secret prison code-named “Cat’s Eye.” Two suspected members of the al Qaeda militant group were subjected to waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques at the facility.

Three years later, still during Bush’s presidency, she carried out an order to destroy videotapes of the waterboarding, which simulates drowning and is considered a form of torture, according to those people.

Haspel is generally held in high regard at the CIA, working as deputy director under Mike Pompeo, whom Trump nominated to be the next secretary of state on Tuesday after firing Rex Tillerson from the post.

Her nomination faces an uncertain fate in the Senate, which Trump’s fellow Republicans control 51-49. She could be opposed by all the Democrats, and some Republicans may also oppose her, including Senator Rand Paul, who has called a news conference on Wednesday to discuss the nomination.

“The torture of detainees in U.S. custody during the last decade was one of the darkest chapters in American history,” said Republican Senator John McCain, who was himself tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. “Ms. Haspel needs to explain the nature and extent of her involvement in the CIA’s interrogation program during the confirmation process.”

Trump defended the torture of detainees during the 2016 presidential race, saying it “works.” He has not taken any action to reverse Obama’s policy, but Haspel’s nomination will fan concerns.

On Tuesday, some U.S. intelligence officials said reports of her alleged involvement in interrogations involving torture were false. But they did not immediately provide details.

They did not dispute her involvement in drafting orders to destroy videotapes of harsh interrogation techniques, which was reported in the book “Hard Measures,” by Jose Rodriguez, her boss in the agency at the time, and former CIA spokesman Bill Harlow.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:05 am

As with Comey, Tillerson wasn't even told to his face, but had to learn about it on Twitter and the news.
So much for Trump's reality TV persona as a hard a$$ed boss firing people face-to-face.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:18 am

it is so embarrassing to be an American these days :oops: god save us from tom cottonmouth :o