Page 1 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm

A GROUP of vegan protesters stormed a Melbourne steak restaurant on Saturday night chanting slogans through loudspeakers and yelling at customers.

Thirty-five activists from Direct Action Everywhere Melbourne and Melbourne Cow Save Animal Liberation Army entered the Rare Steakhouse on King St in the CBD at around 6.30pm “to speak up for animals where their dead bodies were being consumed”.

staff called the police, who took about 15 minutes to arrive. She described it as a “very upsetting situation” for customers and staff. “You’re coming in for dinner and spending X amount of money — you don’t want people yelling in your face,” she said.

“There were a couple of tables that were very upset, to be honest, one table in particular was very emotional. We just did the best we could to calm the people, give them comfort that the police were coming.”

She said her staff handled the situation well, but “a couple of them were really upset” that the protesters were pushing video cameras in their faces even though they asked not to be filmed.

Does this constitute terrorism?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A GROUP of vegan protesters stormed a Melbourne steak restaurant on Saturday night chanting slogans through loudspeakers and yelling at customers.

Thirty-five activists from Direct Action Everywhere Melbourne and Melbourne Cow Save Animal Liberation Army entered the Rare Steakhouse on King St in the CBD at around 6.30pm “to speak up for animals where their dead bodies were being consumed”.

staff called the police, who took about 15 minutes to arrive. She described it as a “very upsetting situation” for customers and staff. “You’re coming in for dinner and spending X amount of money — you don’t want people yelling in your face,” she said.

“There were a couple of tables that were very upset, to be honest, one table in particular was very emotional. We just did the best we could to calm the people, give them comfort that the police were coming.”

She said her staff handled the situation well, but “a couple of them were really upset” that the protesters were pushing video cameras in their faces even though they asked not to be filmed.

that's funny.

i can imagine standing up (as a diner) and saying this potential conversation....

protester: how can you be so heartless to eat that poor animal who's life has been a misery with no thought at all?

me: the cow's bloody dead mate. look at it (points to the grilled t-bone on my plate). no bringin' that back to life. it's as dead as a doornail.

protester: you ignorant fool! the fact you're eating it is the reason it was killed if you think about it....

me: it was already dead and cooked when it was served to me. if i don't eat it someone else will. or do you want me to just drop it in the bin out of respect? better i eat it than the maggots mate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 11:38 pm

B9 the vegan will tell you (through their loudspeaker) that you are creating a demand for killing more cows when you order the t-bone

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
B9 the vegan will tell you (through their loudspeaker) that you are creating a demand for killing more cows when you order the t-bone

but i only order a t-bone that's already dead. i don't say i want another one if there are no more available.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:11 am

they crossed the line. it's one thing to interrupt a slavery auction, but quite another to terrorize diners in a restaurant. the one exception I can think of, is if they were eating LIVE animals [this does exist!].

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:15 am

cyberdad wrote:

Veganism is an ideology of the privileged and a hardship of the very poor.

What I mean by that is, to remain healthy on a vegan diet, one must have access to a wide variety of food and most people don't have that luxury. A wealthy person can live healthfully as a vegan but a very poor person often has no choice but to eat a diet free of animal proteins and suffers the consequences of malnutrition due to limited food variety.

It's fine to be a vegan but people should understand the limits of the practicality of it. The Yanomami in the Amazon, who subsist primarily on a plant based, low protein diet have two words for hungry. One means desiring food. The other means desiring meat.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:22 am

Not terrorism but highly annoying..That's not the way to go about convincing people not to eat meat.Its more likely to make them oppositional and they will just order an extra burger to go.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:23 am

wouldn't it be ironic if they started duking it out with the customers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:25 am

I think they are linked to Animal Liberation, an extreme animal rights group. Years earlier they have attacked egg/chicken farms and ransacked an admin block of a Melbourne university terrorizing staff over alleged use of animals in medical research

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:26 am

Misslizard wrote:
Not terrorism but highly annoying..

Apparently on two tables the customers were very upset. Must be close to crossing the line

b9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
wouldn't it be ironic if they started duking it out with the customers.

yeah and it's also ironic that the vegan's lack of iron would render them the weaker faction in a fight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:32 am

^^^wouldn't iron nutritional supplements [pills] help there?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:32 am

I worked with a vegan and she had long sharp nails filed to needle points. I never asked her why but wouldn't want to be scratched in a fight

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
I worked with a vegan and she had long sharp nails filed to needle points. I never asked her why but wouldn't want to be scratched in a fight

that poor thing, those quasi-claws [and her false sense of power] won't save her from some right wing [or any other kinda] psycho.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:44 am

Yes! that's what they looked like! animal claws

b9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 12:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^wouldn't iron nutritional supplements [pills] help there?

i suppose it would you "wet blanket".
i am trying to be happily stupid and you drag it down to brass tacks.
ok what about protein? (the building blocks of muscles and tissue in general)
that's hard to get if you don't eat meat or eggs or milk or cheese etc.
you have to eat bucket loads of nuts and beans.....oh it's making me sick just thinking about it.

it is unfortunate that animals suffer the conditions they do.
anyway, i could never slaughter an animal to eat because i would start to like it as soon as it trusted me enough to stay within my sights.
i hope they can grow tasty meat in the future in solutions.

but what happens if you get a method of growing muscle in solutions that is also tasty, and then release all the cows?
or the same with chickens and lambs etc...
can't be bothered thinking it through. i am distracted now by something else.