Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Wolfgang1884
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2018, 6:42 pm

Well, as a proud monarchist and eventually citizen of Britain's oldest ally, Portugal, I kind of felt a certain controversy in the marriage of His Royal Highness Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
The fact that Mrs. Markle is divorced reminds me of an identical case that occurred in 1936. This case is the case of Ex-Monarch Edward VIII (Duke of Windsor after his abdication) and Wallis Simpson.
I personally am not much in favor of the marriage between Royalty and the common citizen. But I see the English quite indifferent in these cases.
I usually use an app called "Discord" and I was able to talk to some Brits. Within which I was surprised to learn that, from what I've been told, 20% of the British population is Republican.
I honestly do not have great access to information about Great Britain but I would like to see if the British truly lost confidence in the Monarchy and what general opinion of the English public is to the marriage of His Excellency Prince Harry to Ms. Markle

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:26 pm

They (the British public) seem very approving.

It's interesting to reflect on the racist origins of the term "blue blood" as applied to royalty. It arose from the concept of whiteness as supremacy, because in white arms you can see blue veins. The world has moved on to a more inclusive way of looking at physical phenotypes, and generally people for the most part no longer assume that skin or vein differences represent anything about the person within.

The wedding must have been a terrible day for the hateful and divisive British racist groups, which enhanced my viewing experience, hoping that those dinosaurs might realise that their prejudices are not as widely shared as they hoped.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:37 pm

William the Conqueror, the nominal founder of the English monarchy system, wasn't exactly a blue blood, and the current monarchy still lives in his castle at Windsor, the oldest occupied castle in England.

Like many people, my paternal line is directly descended from one of William's knights who rode beside him in the invasion of England a thousand years ago. My veins are green, actually, but it has to do with skin tone not the colour of my blood.

I am an ordinary person despite some famous French lineage throughout those thousand years. Having famous ancestors doesn't change who you personally are as a person, your experiences and choices are your own.

https://www.history.com/news/10-things- ... -conqueror

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:09 pm

I am a British Republican hate the Monarchy. Harry himself is meant to be part Indian and the wealthiest Duke is descended from a Puskin and Gannibal so he is part black albeit very distantly.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:18 pm

Meghan Markle is not the only member of African descent, as the royal family acknowledged in the 1950s:

http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/hanover_14.html

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:42 pm

She had herself portrayed like that because she was an abolitionist. 9 generations removed is meaningless you would see no trace of African heritage. After 3/4 generations they just look white.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 8:57 pm

I would say that there's not a black and white dichotomy between monarchists and republicans. For example, some people seem to treat the Royals as simply another bunch of "celebrities" which they avidly follow, but have little understanding or care for their history or constitutional status. Others see them as little more than an irrelevant distraction, while not having any republican political sentiments.

I would definitely call myself a republican, though I don't equate this with being unpatriotic (republican in the constitutional sense - not the US political party). I see it as patriotic to want to do away with inherited privilege (as applied to anyone, not just the Royal family) and to remove the last vestiges of any monarchical constitutional role because I feel that egalitarian democracy is simply a fairer, though not necessarily perfect, form of government for myself and my fellow citizens.

At the same time, I see no need to spoil anyone's fun if an event like this weekend's wedding has got folks together for a good time - it's easy enough for me to avoid, and it isn't an appropriate time or place to be getting into arguments. As for the suitability of any particular royal marital pairing, I just consider the peerage as I would any other group which has social customs different than mine; I'm not entirely indifferent, but other people's relationships are their own personal business, and I see no reason to treat royalty any differently.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 9:48 pm

Why is this topic in Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:10 pm

I agree, it relates to the news of the past week.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:47 pm

I really don't understand why everyone is making such a big fuss for the wedding of two people they've never even met.

Wabuu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2018, 1:03 am

Wolfgang1884 wrote:
I personally am not much in favor of the marriage between Royalty and the common citizen.

You're 14. You should be playing PS4 and having fun. If certain people are not stopped, you won't have to worry about "common citizens" doing anything by the time you reach adulthood.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 6:43 pm

B19 wrote:
William the Conqueror, the nominal founder of the English monarchy system, wasn't exactly a blue blood, and the current monarchy still lives in his castle at Windsor, the oldest occupied castle in England.

Like many people, my paternal line is directly descended from one of William's knights who rode beside him in the invasion of England a thousand years ago. My veins are green, actually, but it has to do with skin tone not the colour of my blood.

I am an ordinary person despite some famous French lineage throughout those thousand years. Having famous ancestors doesn't change who you personally are as a person, your experiences and choices are your own.

https://www.history.com/news/10-things- ... -conqueror

OMG!

you're a Norman! One of the folks who conquered England.

The American columnist Roy Blount Jr. wrote a funny piece about how he (and his name) of Norman origins.

He pointed that "if you're Anglo Saxon at least you have a connection to the soil of England", and that the Anglo Saxon English conquered the world. But we Normans conquered the Anglo Saxons. So he, and you, are..."the oppressors of the oppressors!". :lol:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 7:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But we Normans conquered the Anglo Saxons. So he, and you, are..."the oppressors of the oppressors!". :lol:

"Norman saw on English oak,
On English neck a Norman yoke;
Norman spoon to English dish,
And England ruled as Normans wish;
Blithe world in England never will be more,
Till England's rid of all the four."

There Are Four Lights!

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2018, 7:23 pm

Wolfgang1884 wrote:
I usually use an app called "Discord" and I was able to talk to some Brits. Within which I was surprised to learn that, from what I've been told, 20% of the British population is Republican.
I honestly do not have great access to information about Great Britain but I would like to see if the British truly lost confidence in the Monarchy and what general opinion of the English public is to the marriage of His Excellency Prince Harry to Ms. Markle

The monarchy make choices that appeal to various classes. For example; Some upper class figures, like to make grand gestures of approval to avoid disappointment further down the ancestral line whereas others, prefer to situate themselves in the far flung corners of British Patriarchy and human democracy.
We as a nation have all been given a rare glimpse into what royalty will look like in years to come and for now, the commentary is forever unyielding in its curious and long standing patronage that unfolds as it shapes the British Monarchy in times like in what we see today.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 2:20 am

I am fairly nonplussed when it comes to the royal family. I am not against them, but just don't really care too much for what they do.

I do though feel that could be a very positive role for them in British life if they choose the right causes and spend much of their time fighting the right fights then they could be hugely valuable for the country. William & Harry have certainly gone more than way than previous generations but still nowhere near enough for my liking.

As for who they marry? i have no interest at all. If it makes them happy then that is good I guess.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 4:35 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I am fairly nonplussed when it comes to the royal family. I am not against them, but just don't really care too much for what they do.

I do though feel that could be a very positive role for them in British life if they choose the right causes and spend much of their time fighting the right fights then they could be hugely valuable for the country. William & Harry have certainly gone more than way than previous generations but still nowhere near enough for my liking.

As for who they marry? i have no interest at all. If it makes them happy then that is good I guess.

They cannot promote Justice when their very existence is injustice. Everything they have is because of theft and oppression.