Protesters topple Silent Sam Confederate statue at UNC

Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2018, 7:29 pm

AspE wrote:
If it were only about honoring those who died, however misguided they were, I could almost understand it. But it wasn't just about that, it was about continuing the war for Anglo-saxon supremecy after the war.

"Anglo-Saxon."
Because a population that was largely a mixture of Scottish, Irish, and English, are all somehow Anglo-Saxon supremacists. Nope. That would be a lot of partial self-loathing due to the ethnic mixing that occurred since the 17th century. :|

Legitimate Anglo-Saxon supremacists from Europe will often refer to Americans as names like "le 56% face" or "Amerimutt" to mock the multi-ethnic backgrounds of White Americans (which is that of various European ethnic groups, which is why supremacists in America go by white supremacy as opposed to the European supremacists who go by their ethnic groups, like Anglo-Saxon, Aryan, Nordic, etc).

Also, before anyone tries to call me a white supremacist: I, a "mongoloid rapebaby" (what many of them have called me and still call me), am not a white nor ethnic supremacist.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

Not my label dude, take it up with the klan. From the speech in 1913 which dedicated the statue that good Americans have just torn down:

"The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God."

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm

AspE wrote:
Not my label dude, take it up with the klan. From the speech in 1913 which dedicated the statue that good Americans have just torn down:

"The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God."

They really need to take a DNA test and watch their shock when they find out what their background is actually like. Guaranteed some will pass out upon finding out that they have 5% of an African ethnicity, to top things off. :lol:

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 4:58 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
Quote:
We do honor traitors who gave aid and comfort to the enemy during wartime
Jane Fonda to receive lifetime achievement award at film festival
It should be noted she was awarded an Oscar after she sat on anti-aircraft guns used to shoot down American planes. She is now an in demand actress at age 80.

No.

"We" did not honor Jane Fonda.

A private committee honored Jane Fonda.

But when a confederate statue emblematic of southern slavery is erected by perps on public property that belongs to all, then, yes, "We" are being forced to honor it against our will.

Major difference.

“We” honor Fonda by making her movies popular. I would argue that an Oscar unfortunatly is in general a much more well known honor then some memorial.

“We” did put those statues up in the sense that elected officials allow the statues to be put on public property. If the public don’t like it they can and in some cases are electing officials to take them down. If statue supporters do not like them bieng taken down they can elect officials that will rebuild them and agree to pay taxes for the 24/7 security needed to defend them. What went down at UNC is that some people made a decision for “we” ie. mob rule.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Xenoquineo
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2018, 9:51 pm

Vandalism those people did yes, yet why didn’t the one in charge of UNC have the statue removed earlier in the first place? Why not take those statues and put them in a museum where they belong? Statues that are also a symbol of racism have no place in America.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 12:04 am

The wat made sucedding illegal, it was perfectly legal pre war. The constitution was a contract that’s allowed the signers to leave if it wasn’t being fulfilled and the southern states decided it wasn’t and left accordingly. We mad such things illegal after the war to prevent future states leaving(something I oppose) the United States was originally a bunch of states(nations) that came together to fight a common enemy. If you’d suggested back then that New Yorkers were the same as delwarians yiud been laughed at. They saw them selfs as separate nations working towards a common goal hence why each state had its own armies and could chose to not fight in conflicts. It’s been that way since the colonies were founded and civil war started to remove such ideals that didn’t really die until ww1/ww2 where we truely identified as Americans rather then New Yorkers, Virginians, etc
So people today are judging actions of a completely different culture and laws as if they were modern American culture and laws. If you grew up in Connecticut you didn’t see yourself as an American back then your were a Connecticut citizen.

If one day Europe unites as one nation I wonder if they look back and why did Europeans fight each other if they all one nation.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 12:17 am

Xenoquineo wrote:
yet why didn’t the one in charge of UNC have the statue removed earlier in the first place? Why not take those statues and put them in a museum where they belong? Statues that are also a symbol of racism have no place in America.

Because racism is still very much alive today. Hell, just look to the White Supremacist House.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:31 am

...Something that doesn't appear to have come up here in the discussion of the couple of mass attacks on Confederate statues on public land is that a number of Southern states - including NC - have state-level lwas, passed by the state legislature in recent years, that force localities to keep those statues in place, they forbid counties/towns from moving them. (In at least one case, Memphis, they ook an elaborate complicated legal route to get around the prohibition against moving them.) I think you could see that this imposed freezing the statues in place could, with conventional means shut off, lead to the violent reaction of the mass statue-smashings.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
Quote:
It should be noted she was awarded an Oscar after she sat on anti-aircraft guns used to shoot down American planes. She is now an in demand actress at age 80.

No.

But when a confederate statue emblematic of southern slavery is erected by perps on public property that belongs to all, then, yes, "We" are being forced to honor it against our will.

Major difference.

“We” honor Fonda by making her movies popular. I would argue that an Oscar unfortunatly is in general a much more well known honor then some memorial.

“We” did put those statues up in the sense that elected officials allow the statues to be put on public property. If the public don’t like it they can and in some cases are electing officials to take them down. If statue supporters do not like them bieng taken down they can elect officials that will rebuild them and agree to pay taxes for the 24/7 security needed to defend them. What went down at UNC is that some people made a decision for “we” ie. mob rule.

Yep.

Just like some people made a decision for "we", i.e. what you call mob rule, here:
Pictured: Damaged official state property known as the Berlin Wall, November 1989.
A vandal? Mob rule? Boo hoo!
Tear down this wall and tear down these treasonous monuments to race hatred!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 5:31 pm

As has been already pointed-out, this was a statue erected to honor the students of UNC who had to quit school and go fight; and who died, fighting. I, as a military veteran, honor all veterans, and am saddened that the statue was brought-down. As I've said elsewhere, on here, no one has a choice, really, in whether or not they go to fight.

It would be really nice if the people who want to destroy property, knew, at least, the subject of the property they're destroying. IMO, they only knew it had something to do with the Confederacy, and, therefore, had to go. It reminds me of, awhile back, when a bunch of idiots destroyed a statue of Joan of Arc (I think it was)! LOL

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 5:51 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
As has been already pointed-out, this was a statue erected to honor the students of UNC who had to quit school and go fight; and who died, fighting. I, as a military veteran, honor all veterans, and am saddened that the statue was brought-down. As I've said elsewhere, on here, no one has a choice, really, in whether or not they go to fight.

It would be really nice if the people who want to destroy property, knew, at least, the subject of the property they're destroying. IMO, they only knew it had something to do with the Confederacy, and, therefore, had to go. It reminds me of, awhile back, when a bunch of idiots destroyed a statue of Joan of Arc (I think it was)! LOL

From an earlier post by AspE that bears repetition and completely refutes what you just penned about this having been "a statue erected to honor the students of UNC who had to quit school and go fight; and who died, fighting":

Quote:
From the speech in 1913 which dedicated the statue that good Americans have just torn down:

Which actually gave only the first half of the same stomach-churning talk. I can't fault AspE for not posting the second half, it's so disgusting, but it simply has to be told:

Quote:
I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand [on Franklin Street], less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted an maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterward slept with a double-barrel shotgun under my head.

No, you piece of southern racist filth, you may NOT be pardoned for your allusion.

The statue represents the worst sort of debauched southern racist scum and has no place at all on any public property in the United States.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 8:09 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

From an earlier post by AspE that bears repetition and completely refutes what you just penned about this having been "a statue erected to honor the students of UNC who had to quit school and go fight; and who died, fighting":

Quote:
From the speech in 1913 which dedicated the statue that good Americans have just torn down:

No, it does NOT refute what I just said. I said: "no one has a choice, really, in whether or not they go to fight"----nor do they, IMO, have a choice, really, in if they have been used for a racist agenda (ie: "their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South").

thoughtbeast wrote:
The statue represents the worst sort of debauched southern racist scum and has no place at all on any public property in the United States.

What makes you think that, absolutely, every soldier who fought, agreed-with the reason for their being in the war? Do you think every Vietnam veteran agreed with why they were there, fighting? Do soldiers decide to fight whomever they want? No. It is a country's government that decides. This is exactly why veterans are now being thanked for their service, instead of being beaten, etc., like they were when they returned home from Korea, and other places/wars, because Americans finally got it through their thick heads that it wasn't the soldiers', sailors', airmen's, marines' fault.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 9:18 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Quote:

No, it does NOT refute what I just said. I said: "no one has a choice, really, in whether or not they go to fight"----nor do they, IMO, have a choice, really, in if they have been used for a racist agenda (ie: "their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South").

thoughtbeast wrote:

What makes you think that, absolutely, every soldier who fought, agreed-with the reason for their being in the war? Do you think every Vietnam veteran agreed with why they were there, fighting? Do soldiers decide to fight whomever they want? No. It is a country's government that decides. This is exactly why veterans are now being thanked for their service, instead of being beaten, etc., like they were when they returned home from Korea, and other places/wars, because Americans finally got it through their thick heads that it wasn't the soldiers', sailors', airmen's, marines' fault.

Way to ignore the horsewhipping of that poor black girl by one of your Confederate "veterans" that was the centerpiece of the dedication ceremony. Just to recap what was said at that ceremony, since it was excluded from your quote of me in your last response:

Quote:
I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand [on Franklin Street], less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted an maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterward slept with a double-barrel shotgun under my head.

The people who were honored by this statue were vermin, not veterans. We don't honor the "soldiers" who massacred villagers at My Lai. Germany doesn't honor the "soldiers" who guarded concentration camp victims at Auschwitz. I don't honor sadistic perps who horsewhipped "negro wenches" as a "pleasing duty". Nor does any decent American.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:10 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:
Quote:

No.

Major difference.

Yep.

Just like some people made a decision for "we", i.e. what you call mob rule, here:
Pictured: Damaged official state property known as the Berlin Wall, November 1989.
A vandal? Mob rule? Boo hoo!
Tear down this wall and tear down these treasonous monuments to race hatred!

The Berlin Wall was not a monument to dead people so there is no comparison.

Be careful what for what wish for. "Anarchy in the U.S.A." ie mob rule won't be fun, especially if the mobs turn on those weird offensive autistic people, those "criminal" black people or whatever whim the mobs decide offends them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:16 pm

7 Arrested at University of North Carolina in Clashes Over ‘Silent Sam’

Quote:
Seven people were arrested on Saturday at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as tensions between demonstrators intensified over the toppling this week of the “Silent Sam” statue, which stood for over a century on campus grounds as a symbol of the Confederacy.

University officials had warned students on Friday about the possibility of more protests, writing in a message to students, “We urge you not to attend.” But on Saturday, packs of demonstrators supportive of the monument’s removal clashed with protesters advocating its preservation. Some demonstrators carried signs condemning racism; others had draped themselves in Confederate flags.

Of the arrests made on Saturday, two were connected with charges of assault, destruction of property and inciting a riot, Carly Miller, a spokeswoman for the university, said in a statement.

Three other arrests were in connection with assault, Ms. Miller said. The remaining two arrests were related to destruction of property and resisting an officer.

None of the people arrested on Saturday were affiliated with the university, Carol L. Folt, the university chancellor, told reporters.

At one point, some demonstrators tried to light a Confederate flag on fire until the police intervened, according to video from The Daily Tar Heel, the university’s student newspaper.

On Thursday night, the university’s police force filed charges against three people in connection with the toppling of the monument.

Randy Young, a spokesman for the university’s police force, said on Friday that additional charges might be filed against people involved in the demonstration on Monday.

The statue, unveiled in 1913 with support from the United Daughters of the Confederacy, depicts a Confederate soldier grasping a rifle. The soldier is considered “silent” because he has no ammunition to fire his weapon.

The university has indicated in the past that it favors removing the statue for safety reasons, but U.N.C. officials have said a 2015 state law prohibits them from doing so. According to the law, state-owned monuments cannot be removed or altered in any way without the approval of the North Carolina Historical Commission.

Two days after the demonstration, the commission rejected a request to remove three Confederate monuments from the State Capitol in Raleigh.

While some university leaders and Republican state lawmakers have condemned the demolition of the “Silent Sam” statue, the university has not disclosed any plan to reinstall it.

According to the 2015 law, any monument that is “temporarily relocated” must be returned to its original place within 90 days of “completion of the project that required its temporary removal.” Dr. Folt told reporters on Saturday that it was too early to know where the statue would end up, although she mentioned the possibility of moving it to another location.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:33 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

That is regressive left thinking for you, if you are born white you are a racist, if you born a man you are a rapist and if not you probably are part of or an enabler of rape culture. It is all about your group all of the time, if you a soldier caught up in a really bad cause you might as well have been the instigator of the war. People as individuals is beyond them. That is the difference between social justice warriors and real ones be they voluntary, draft and those pressed into service.