Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2018, 8:56 pm

I know this article is a few years old; but, most people overlook the progress made in smaller countries and so I thought I'd share this article anyways. Go Uruguay! :mrgreen:

Quote:
In less than 10 years, Uruguay has slashed its carbon footprint without government subsidies or higher consumer costs, according to the country's head of climate change policy, Ramón Mendez. In fact, he says that now that renewables provide 94.5% of the country's electricity, prices are lower than in the past relative to inflation. There are also fewer power cuts because a diverse energy mix means greater resilience to droughts.

Read the full article here.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm

Quote:
In fact, he says that now that renewables provide 94.5% of the country's electricity, prices are lower than in the past relative to inflation. There are also fewer power cuts because a diverse energy mix means greater resilience to droughts.

Almost entirely renewable is less diverse than a more balanced mix of renewable and non-renewable. Or are we supposed to understand diverse as code for renewable, much like with people, where it’s used to mean non-white?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Quote:
In fact, he says that now that renewables provide 94.5% of the country's electricity, prices are lower than in the past relative to inflation. There are also fewer power cuts because a diverse energy mix means greater resilience to droughts.

Almost entirely renewable is less diverse than a more balanced mix of renewable and non-renewable. Or are we supposed to understand diverse as code for renewable, much like with people, where it’s used to mean non-white?

I'm not against fossil fuels, but if able to go full renewable (hopefully without extorting people of their incomes), then I think it's good.

Personally, what I look forward to the most is fusion power.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 1:14 am

I didn't say anything about being for or against it; I tried to follow their logic around the word diverse. I guess there's none and you're just supposed to feel good about it and laud them on that grounds alone.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 3:50 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
I know this article is a few years old; but, most people overlook the progress made in smaller countries and so I thought I'd share this article anyways. Go Uruguay! :mrgreen:

Quote:
In less than 10 years, Uruguay has slashed its carbon footprint without government subsidies or higher consumer costs, according to the country's head of climate change policy, Ramón Mendez. In fact, he says that now that renewables provide 94.5% of the country's electricity, prices are lower than in the past relative to inflation. There are also fewer power cuts because a diverse energy mix means greater resilience to droughts.

Read the full article here.Image

Left out of all the above very pretty scenario is how Uruguay has surrendered its wind energy resources to outside multinationals and betrayed the poor of Uruguay.

Not everybody in Uruguay thinks highly of what's going on with renewables in electric power generation.

Clean Energy, at What Cost? Uruguay’s Renewables Bid Deepens Electricity Inequality

Quote:
The wind in Uruguay has been practically privatized, it has been expropriated in favor of a set of multinational companies, accounting for almost 40 percent of the electricity demand, and almost 90 percent of the resources are under their control.

...the State fostered an investment friendly material and legal environment in the tendering proceedings for wind farms, which entitled companies to tax exemptions for US$3.5 billion, and promoted abusive contracts and business models for the people of Uruguay.

...the State committed itself to buying all energy produced by wind farms for 30 years at a fixed price in dollars: “Nowadays, the State pays US$80 per MW, and in 2016 we had to open the [hydroelectric] dams, because we were forced to buy energy at US$80, when we could have produced it at $6 and $7. This unsustainable and abusive business model, masked behind the green energy discourse, is nothing but the transfer from public to private hands.”

...in Uruguay 25% of users are energy-poor – that is, they have difficulty paying and having access to energy.

...on the one hand, companies pay half of the total price paid by any working-class family. On the other, the study shows that the average working-class family spends 4 to 5 percent of its income on electricity, while the poorest spend 10 percent. This contrasts with the wealthiest residential sector in the country, who spend 2 to 2.5 percent. Moreover, for big consumers, that is, large productive enterprises, energy spending represents around 0.4 percent of the gross production value. In short, a working-class family in Uruguay pays 10 times more for electricity than a businessman.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 4:11 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Quote:

I'm not against fossil fuels, but if able to go full renewable (hopefully without extorting people of their incomes), then I think it's good.

Personally, what I look forward to the most is fusion power.

Go Fusion!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 10:49 pm

Yeah! Let’s find a way to keep increasing our consumption exponentially over time at the clearly unimportant cost of running out of water on our planet in not so many generations!

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Yeah! Let’s find a way to keep increasing our consumption exponentially over time at the clearly unimportant cost of running out of water on our planet in not so many generations!

We don't need water where we're going!
Red giant (which probably won't happen for a long time).

Joke aside, to space we go! :D

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson