Trump Regime to Polluters: Earth Is Doomed, So Go Hog Wild

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:53 pm

Trump Administration to Polluters: Earth Is Doomed, So Go Hog Wild - A new report reveals an interesting strategy on Team Trump’s part.

Quote:
Historically, the Trump administration has never given people the impression that it believes climate change is an urgent, significant threat to the planet and its inhabitants...

But, as it turns out, it’s not that the administration is unaware of how bad things are. According to a new report from The Washington Post, it’s that it just doesn’t give a s--t:

Quote:

Last month, deep in a 500-page environmental impact statement, the Trump administration made a startling assumption: On its current course, the planet will warm a disastrous 7 degrees by the end of this century.

A rise of 7 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 4 degrees Celsius, compared with pre-industrial levels would be catastrophic, according to scientists. Many coral reefs would dissolve in increasingly acidic oceans. Parts of Manhattan and Miami would be underwater without costly coastal defenses. Extreme heat waves would routinely smother large parts of the globe.

But the administration did not offer this dire forecast, premised on the idea that the world will fail to cut its greenhouse gas emissions, as part of an argument to combat climate change. Just the opposite: the analysis assumes the planet’s fate is already sealed.

...“The amazing thing they’re saying is human activities are going to lead to this rise of carbon dioxide that is disastrous for the environment and society. And then they’re saying they’re not going to do anything about it,” Michael MacCracken, a former senior scientist at the U.S. Global Change Research Program, told the Post.

While U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres warned leaders this week that failing to “change course in the next two years” would be a mistake of epic proportions, the Team Trump’s take is more or less, there’s nothing more we can do here, might as well let the president’s buddies cash in.

Quote:
The environmental impact statement cites “evidence of climate-induced changes,” such as more frequent droughts, floods, severe storms, and heat waves, and estimates that seas could rise nearly three feet globally by 2100 if the world does not decrease its carbon output. . . . The world would have to make deep cuts in carbon emissions to avoid this drastic warming, the analysis states. And that “would require substantial increases in technology innovation and adoption compared to today’s levels and would require the economy and the vehicle fleet to move away from the use of fossil fuels, which is not currently technologically feasible or economically feasible.”

Bangladesh is a vast flood plain, one of many around the world. Visualize adding the postulated three feet of water to the following pics of recent Bangladesh floods:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366& ... desh+flood

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 5:25 am

I think the regular progression of technology is going cut carbon emissions significantly as electric vehicles become more affordable and charging stations become more plentiful. everyone's going to want the latest tech in self driving cars and they're going to be electric. that along with industrial advancements that will reduce emissions.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:36 am

Only if the electricity used to power the cars comes from renewable sources.
You also don’t see many electric cars in rural areas, I’ve never seen one.I doubt one would come up my drive,they have no ground clearance.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:59 am

Oh, I think plenty of people wouldn't embrace cars that drive themselves. I know people who would never own a vehicle with automatic transmission or cruise control because they don't see it as "real driving."

Oscar Meyer Lansky

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 3:11 pm

The man-made global warming theory is an hoax. It is an elaborate wealth distribution scheme.

If it was real then why did the environmentalist carve out an exception for some countries to radically increase the amount of CO2 that they generate?

India will double its emissions by 2030. (Source: India to double emissions by 2030, but within Paris commitments) “In 2016, India had 369 coal-fired power plants under development totalling 243 gigawatts (GW) of generating capacity. These coal-fired power plants would increase India’s coal-fired generating capacity by 123% and would exceed its projected electricity demand.”

China, the world’s largest CO2 emitter, contributing 27 per cent of the total (global emissions), has in the same period increased its emissions by 24 per cent, and plans by 2030 to have doubled them. India, the third largest emitter, has increased them by 54 per cent and plans to have tripled them. (Source: The UK will spend trillions to reduce C02 emissions while the real offenders do little)

At the end of 2017, China’s coal fleet stood at 981 GW, according to the China Electricity Council (2018) CoalSwarm estimates 12 GW were commissioned in the first six months of 2018, putting total coal power capacity at 993 GW. According to a project-by-project survey completed in July 2018 by CoalSwarm’s Global Coal Plant Tracker, 259 gigawatts (GW) of coal-fired capacity are under development in China, comparable to the total installed coal power capacity of the United States (266 GW). Since 2000, China has built 70% of the new coal power capacity added worldwide. (Source: Tsunami Warning: Can China’s Central Authorities Stop A Massive Surge In New Coal Plants Caused By Provincial Overpermitting?

How well is the Paris Climate Accord being implemented? Two years after 200 or so nations forged a new UN deal to protect the climate, output of the gases blamed for global warming surged to a record. Carbon dioxide emissions from energy use climbed 1.6% in 2017, with both emerging and developed economies contributing to the increase, according to BP data published on Wednesday. In the US, which intends to withdraw from the UN’s Paris accord, greenhouse-gas output fell for a third year. The biggest advances in emissions were in emerging nations, with a 4.4% jump in India and a 1.6% gain in China. Carbon dioxide output also rose in Brazil, Qatar and Russia, while Turkey’s jumped by 13%. In the EU, home to the world’s biggest carbon market, emissions from energy use advanced 1.5%. Greenhouse-gas output also rose in Canada. (Source: Global emissions surged to record high in 2017 — but in the US, they dropped)

How have the EU nations that signed the Paris Climate Accord fared in meeting their carbon dioxide reductions? Not a single EU state is meeting its climate targets. 23 of 28 countries rated “poor” or “very poor”. Even more embarrassing: Germany in reality has not reduced its emissions in 9 years and there are no signs this trend will change any time soon! In fact since 2007 the USA alone has reduced its CO2 emissions by approximately 700 million metric tons annually, which is in the neighborhood of Germany’s total annual output! (Source: Paris Accord Humiliation: 23 Of 28 EU States Graded “Poor” Or “Very Poor” On Achieving Climate Targets!)

So how well has the U.S. been meeting CO2 reductions? EIA (U.S. Energy Information Administration) estimates that U.S. energy-related carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions declined by 861 million metric tons (14%) from 2005 to 2017. So maybe you should be giving some credit to the Trump Administration instead of just taking on the role of a talking head. [Source: url=https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=34872]U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions expected to rise slightly in 2018, remain flat in 2019[/url])

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:28 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Only if the electricity used to power the cars comes from renewable sources.
You also don’t see many electric cars in rural areas, I’ve never seen one.I doubt one would come up my drive,they have no ground clearance.

I'm just saying as time goes on there will be less internal combustion cars. Like a lot less 10 years from now. And that's more important in urban areas first, since that's where the most traffic is. Most likely in rural areas there won't be electric tractors and combines etc. anytime soon.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:29 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think the regular progression of technology is going cut carbon emissions significantly as electric vehicles become more affordable and charging stations become more plentiful. everyone's going to want the latest tech in self driving cars and they're going to be electric. that along with industrial advancements that will reduce emissions.

OK but that solves no such problems.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Oh, I think plenty of people wouldn't embrace cars that drive themselves. I know people who would never own a vehicle with automatic transmission or cruise control because they don't see it as "real driving."

That's exactly why we need carbon neutral sports cars. Proper ones.

I'm one of those people but I don't see it as mutually exclusive with environmentalism. Simpler = cleaner, ultimately.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:33 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

You're right. I had a stupid idea. Everyone is going to stick with gas guzzling carbon emission cars and we are all doomed.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:34 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:

OK but that solves no such problems.

I know. it's hopeless.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:52 pm

Honestly Trump's roadmap is so inefficient as to make no business sense anyway so I'm only worried about a certain percentage of said polluters.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 9:37 pm

It's okay the democrats will take over completely in a couple of years and save the planet. If not then the only ones left will be rich white republicans living in luxury underground.

Last edited by EzraS on 30 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 9:41 pm

It's the totally unrepresented technocrats who have to save the planet in the mean time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm

I sincerely have to wonder how much of Trump's opinion about the earth's impending, unavoidable doom was spawned out of the ridiculous misinterpretation of Revelations by those fundies and holy rollers he associates with these days.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I sincerely have to wonder how much of Trump's opinion about the earth's impending, unavoidable doom was spawned out of the ridiculous misinterpretation of Revelations by those fundies and holy rollers he associates with these days.

You need to be prepared for the rapture Bill. It's coming any minute now.... any minute....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 11:22 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You need to be prepared for the rapture Bill. It's coming any minute now.... any minute....

Tell me if it comes, in case I miss it.