what happens if Kavanagh gets into supreme court?

Page 2 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If Kavanaugh becomes a Justice of the Supreme Court, he is there for the duration of his life (or until he retires).

I am not actually sure if he would advocate overturning Roe Versus Wade. Should he actually advocate it, I strongly feel the whole Court wouldn't follow suit.

I don't believe Kavanaugh would be an objective Justice. I believe he's too politicized.

They all are, look at the horrible 9th circuit. They should read and take the constitution literally word for word, that’s their job to see if laws confirm to the constitution not to make laws the left wants.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

AspE wrote:
Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. Campaign finance restrictions, already devastated by Citizen's United, will be eliminating, handing elections over to big money. Climate change and environmental protections will be gone. He will side with Trump on unprecedented Presidential power, like the power to pardon himself and avoid investigations. There will be a Muslim ban. LGBT rights will be overturned. Religious institutions will get government funding, will be active politically, and will still get tax breaks, so... theocracy. And no one will trust the Supreme Court again as a fair arbiter of the law.

Lol you’re too funny

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

sly279 wrote:
AspE wrote:
Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. Campaign finance restrictions, already devastated by Citizen's United, will be eliminating, handing elections over to big money. Climate change and environmental protections will be gone. He will side with Trump on unprecedented Presidential power, like the power to pardon himself and avoid investigations. There will be a Muslim ban. LGBT rights will be overturned. Religious institutions will get government funding, will be active politically, and will still get tax breaks, so... theocracy. And no one will trust the Supreme Court again as a fair arbiter of the law.

Lol you’re too funny

Just admit you want all that. I'm tired of RepubliCON-men.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm

AspE wrote:

I don't think most any of that would happen.

One thing I haven't seen in the media that I'm waiting for is adding to your list: "And thousands or millions will die."

That one has always confused me when it comes from the liberal side since from what I've seen, almost to a person, liberals are also population control advocates?

This supreme court thing has given me a new perspective on political strategy though. It's true that SCOTUS justices are "lifetime" appointments. However, from a politically strategic point of view, the last thing either party should do is encourage it's appointees to remain on the court for as long as life support keeps them alive. An appointee strongly of a left or right political persuasion should fall on their sword and retire at a reasonable age if their party holds the executive branch and a majority in the Senate. RBG should have retired during the early Obama years and have been replaced with a much younger appointee. Maybe she'll outlive a republican controlled exec and senate, but if not, it would be a big mistake for her to stay on. Party over person I would think.

I may end up being very wrong on this since I was certain HRC was going to be elected. Not because I thought she was more popular among voters or that she was a better candidate (I thought they were both bad), but because I was certain the "fix was in". But I don't think Kavanaugh is going to be appointed. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't think so.

Especially with the FBI report remaining confidential. That's a smart albeit devious political move by the entire Senate (it's two sides of the same coin, people): "We can't tell you what was in the report, but I as a democrat or I as a republican champion of women or I as republican woman could not in good conscience vote for the nomination. Trust me on this!"........

So I don't think you guys even have to worry too much on this one.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

AspE wrote:
sly279 wrote:
AspE wrote:

Lol you’re too funny

Yep the poor guy on social security who supports welfare and wants drugs legal is deep republican lol
Non of that will happen you all just won’t get to strip the bill of rights more then you have.

No one trusts the 9th circuit it’s a laughing stock why would we ant the Supreme Court to be liberal controlled like it.
Him getting on will rebalance the court making it half republican and half liberal a liberal getting it would make it majority liberal and let them destroy the constitution. No thanks.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

Giving we are humans I think the court and all lower courts should be half republicans and half Democrat’s by law always keeping a balance. The other seat should be a person both parties hate as that means they as unbiased as a human can be. Either party having a majority is bad in my opinion. I’m hated by both party’s I’d also like congress split its better for most people that neither party gets what they want

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

sly279 wrote:
Giving we are humans I think the court and all lower courts should be half republicans and half Democrat’s by law always keeping a balance. The other seat should be a person both parties hate as that means they as unbiased as a human can be. Either party having a majority is bad in my opinion. I’m hated by both party’s I’d also like congress split its better for most people that neither party gets what they want

There shouldn't be any political affiliation whatsoever. They should be impartial. Unfortunately, THAT won't happen.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:16 pm

Anyone else feel like they are living in an episode of the Twilight Zone?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:26 pm

Since Kavanagh was subjected to significant character assassination, it will leave a mark. I suspect that the experience will affect him in the following way:

Within our legal system there is presumption of innocence. I suspect he will become a staunch advocate for the guarantees provided by the law. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:29 pm

U.S. Supreme Court justices may be impeached. Though it has happened just once in the Court's history, Associate Justice Samuel Chase "was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court and a signatory to the United States Declaration of Independence as a representative of Maryland. He was impeached on grounds of letting his partisan leanings affect his court decisions, but was acquitted by the Senate and remained in office" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase>. He was impeached, but not removed from office.

It is interesting that Justice Chase was "impeached on grounds of letting his partisan leanings affect his court decisions[.]"

Hmm.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:12 pm

AspE wrote:
sly279 wrote:
AspE wrote:

Lol you’re too funny

I'm not a republican. I think of myself at this point (it could change) as a fatalist. Sad, I know.

Extreme ideas on either side of the political spectrum that I think would be detrimental to humanity or freedom, I have a desire to watch from the sidelines to see if it will crash and burn. I'm not saying it's the best philosophy or that others should ascribe to it. I'm just being honest.

Scene: A number of people representative of society at large are standing in a boat while I watch nearby from shore.....

Person 1: "I don't know who own's this boat, but I think we should commandeer it for the people!"
Person 2: "Not only that, we demand the owner of this boat denounce [fill in the blank]"
Person 3: "Look! Here come the masses! Power to the people! Come aboard!"
Me: (Thinks to himself) 'Haven't any of you read the Dr. Seuss book Thidwick the Big Hearted Moose?'
Person 4: "More people, more! more!"
Me: (Thinks to himself) 'You're going to sink that boat you know....'
Person 5: "Hey, wait! This boat is sinking!"
Person 6: "It's the boat owner's fault!"
Person 7: "Hey, you on shore! Shame on you for not being in here with us! Shame on you for not getting involved!"
Me: "You wouldn't have listened."
Person 8: "You must be one of those alt-right, Alex Jones lovin' people! I hope you rot!"
Me: "I've barely ever seen anything from him. He bugs me. I'm not alt-right."
Person 9: "Yes, (blub) you are!"
Me: "No."
Person 10: "Yes (glurg) you (burble, glug, bubble...................).

I could also write a scene where extreme conservatives have some idea they justify that would be equally damaging.

Yeah, I'm weird.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:42 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Since Kavanagh was subjected to significant character assassination, it will leave a mark. I suspect that the experience will affect him in the following way:

Within our legal system there is presumption of innocence. I suspect he will become a staunch advocate for the guarantees provided by the law. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".

He hasn't been charged with anything, so this does not apply. A Supreme Court nominee or any congressperson is held to a standard of ethics that ordinary people aren't held to. You don't have a right to a seat on the court.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 3:54 pm

I have a similar view since it doesn't matter which sell out you vote for. At the end of the day they work for themselves because Washington is just a stepping stone for a job on K street or whoever they sell out for.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 5:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
The water cooler will have to be filled more often. They'll have to buy more kleenex for tear dabbing. More wall space will be needed and a large curio added to display all of kavanaugh's trophies. And a brewery will be installed.

LOLOLOL TOO funny!!

Don't forget a porcelain god in every corridor for his frequent barfing, because of his weak stomach (yeah, right)! !

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

LOL, the end of Democracy is hilarious.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

sly279 wrote:

It took awhile, but hey look at that - Sly and I finally agree on something.