what happens if Kavanagh gets into supreme court?

Page 4 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 6:14 am

On the subject of judicial temperament, anyone recall Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s rhetorical assault on Donald Trump in July 2016. “I can’t imagine what the country would be—with Donald Trump as our President,” adding that the possibility brought to mind her late husband’s advice: “Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand.”

How does that rate on partiality?

It is highly likely Trump will have at least a third SCOTUS pick for RBG’s replacement. No doubt part of the dem’s scorched earth tactic with Kavanaugh is to make future conservative SCOTUS nominations so horrific to consider that no one will accept.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:42 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
AspE wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
AspE wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Since Kavanagh was subjected to significant character assassination, it will leave a mark. I suspect that the experience will affect him in the following way:

Within our legal system there is presumption of innocence. I suspect he will become a staunch advocate for the guarantees provided by the law. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".

He hasn't been charged with anything, so this does not apply. A Supreme Court nominee or any congressperson is held to a standard of ethics that ordinary people aren't held to. You don't have a right to a seat on the court.

It sure looks like he was on trial.

We weren't deciding if he was guilty for criminal prosecution, but whether he was likely to have committed the acts he's been accused of, which is a lower standard. If I were on a jury, I'm not sure I would convict him, but as a potential gov employee, I say there's quite enough there to reject him.

By the way, it's hypocritical to claim innocent until proven guilty while chanting "lock her up".

Clinton was proven guilty.

"The FBI investigation found that 110 messages contained information that was classified at the time it was sent. Sixty-five of those emails were found to contain information classified as "Secret;" more than 20 contained "Top-Secret" information".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_C ... ontroversy

Clinton illegally sent at least 110 classified emails through her private server.

Reality Winner got over 5 years in prison for sending a single classified document to others.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/politics ... index.html

Then Jared Kushner, and by extension Trump, should worry too. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/24/jared-kushner-private-email-white-house-243071

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 9:08 am

B19 wrote:
There is now an urgency as never before in the USA for ordinary Americans of both liberal and conservative persuasions to very soberly reflect that democracy relies upon the protection of transparency, legality, impartiality and if these norms and the institutions which represent them are slowly undermined, controlled and increasingly rolled back and demolished by Trump and his cronies, then the outlook may be very bleak indeed.

I truly think its time for all caring concerned adults in the USA to stop being continuously distracted by the DSA sideshows, the intertribal conflict whipped up by Trump every single day, and focus instead on the increasing pattern of the undermining of the USA's institutions before they are shipwrecked and replaced by an autocratic oligarchy ruled by the huckster in chief himself..

Thank you, totally agree.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 10:59 am

We also need to fix it to where no Republican can be elected to public office until they call for the extermination of all Christians.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
We also need to fix it to where no Republican can be elected to public office until they call for the extermination of all Christians.

WHAT ?????????

So you are advocating for the extermination of Christians! That sound like something Hitler might have done, although in his case his primary focus were Jews.

This really fits the definition of a hate crime.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

WHAT ?????????

So you are advocating for the extermination of Christians! That sound like something Hitler might have done, although in his case his primary focus were Jews.

I was referring to their anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-science stance on everything.

Why do many people vote Republican? Because people like Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott base their campaign on “protecting the unborn” (controlling women), “protecting our children” (dehumanizing trans people and putting them in danger), “continuing the War on Drugs” (any excuse to put black people in jail), and “securing the borders” (keeping brown people out).

It’s not the economy or foreign policy, or even Kavanaugh’s confirmation that’s hurting them, it’s the above-mentioned things that are.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 06 Oct 2018, 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:01 pm

Obama founded the DSA - the Divided States of America. He divided our country so much. He also didn’t give s**t about the constitution.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:03 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

WHAT ?????????

I was referring to their anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-science stance on everything.

Why do many people vote Republican? Because people like Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott base their campaign on “protecting the unborn” (controlling women), “protecting our children” (dehumanizing trans people and putting them in danger), “continuing the War on Drugs” (any excuse to put black people in jail), and “securing the borders” (keeping brown people out).

They vote for them cause they protect the constitution, protect our borders.
That’s why I vote and that’s why most others vote republican.
Democrats are hell bent on Turing the USA into Europe 2.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

sly279 wrote:
Obama founded the DSA - the Divided States of America. He divided our country so much. He also didn’t give s**t about the constitution.

I suspect every president weakened the Constitution for the United States of America with their actions.

George Washington led a federal army to attack U.S. citizens personally, not in some skirmish, but in a battle which was part of the Whiskey Rebellion based solely on the taxation (based on Alexander Hamilton's advice) of whiskey distilled by farmers who used fallow and gleaned crops as they had since the 1600s (which were agriculturally and financially useless, but for the bartering and trading with other farmers). Ironically, Washington ordered the attacks making him the first sitting U.S. president to kill his own citizens. So much for due process.

Abraham Lincoln arrested and imprisoned newspaper reporters and editors for what they had reported and commented during the Civil War. Think about that. Lincoln willingly and intentionally imprisoned the media of his time simply because he disagreed with their exercise of the First Amendment right to free speech. Lincoln was no supporter of freeing slaves when he suggested that former slaves be shipped back to Africa. So much for the Emancipation Proclamation.

Lyndon Johnson swore that he would benefit the Democratic Party for generations simply based on what he allegedly told two governors regarding the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964. "I'll have them n****rs voting Democratic for 200 years." Whether I actually said it or not, he also said, "Let's face it. Our ass is in a crack. We're gonna have to let this n****r bill pass. --Lyndon Johnson to Sen. John Stennis, 1957." So much for the 13th and 14th amendments.

Richard Nixon violated so many constitutional rights and provisions, it is nearly impossible to describe his damage to American jurisprudence.

Barack Obama signed an executive order which he signed to give himself and all future presidents the authority that George Washington first created ... the lawful ability to murder U.S. citizens (whether inside or outside the United States) based solely on his signature and that of the U.S. Secretary of Defense.

Clinton, Truman, FDR, Wilson, the Robber Baron era with its presidential "seat warmers," the general uselessness of the post-Founders-era presidents and even a few Founders such as Hamilton and his Central Bank schemes that has ruined the nation's 20th century greatness, have destroyed so much in our governments.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 3:28 pm

No longer a what if it happens, it did. Of course.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 3:33 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
...Lyndon Johnson swore that he would benefit the Democratic Party for generations simply based on what he allegedly told two governors regarding the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964. "I'll have them n****rs voting Democratic for 200 years." Whether I actually said it or not, he also said, "Let's face it. Our ass is in a crack. We're gonna have to let this n****r bill pass. --Lyndon Johnson to Sen. John Stennis, 1957." So much for the 13th and 14th amendments....

It is too bad that the coding for this site actually protects what LBJ said, making it seem he wasn't quite the SOB many believed, and still believe, he was.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

WHAT ?????????

That is not what you said. You advocated the extermination of Christians. That fits the definition of a hate crime. That language should not be tolerated on this site. Period.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm

They're certainly not going to win elections if they're pushing for family separation, bathroom laws, and "heartbeat" abortion laws.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm

Deleted

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:40 pm

good bye to working class healthcare, abortions for lower-class women, LGBT protections from religious bigots, the remainder of the voting rights act and 1964 civil rights act for starters.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:59 am

jimmy m wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

WHAT ?????????

That is not what you said. You advocated the extermination of Christians. That fits the definition of a hate crime. That language should not be tolerated on this site. Period.

My speculation is that it's not considered a hate crime as applied to conservative christians, because they are the prime enemy of liberalism, and we know what the political bent is of those who run this site.