28 percent of parents say flu shot causes autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,982
Location: Long Island, New York

19 Oct 2018, 1:25 am

Parents Believe Flu Vaccine is Conspiracy, Causes Autism

Quote:
MORE THAN HALF OF parents with children under the age of 18 believe that their children can contract the flu from the shot.

Additionally, one-third of parents say the shot does not protect children from contracting the virus, a study by Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children found. The study comes just as flu season is beginning and shortly after an unvaccinated child died of the flu in Florida earlier this month.

The parts of the virus that are used are completely dead, so you cannot get the flu from the flu shot," Moorjani, a pediatrician at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, said. "After receiving the shot, it takes your body about two weeks to build up antibodies to fight the flu, so if you come in contact with the virus during that time, you may still get sick, which is why you should get your flu shot as early as possible."

However, some parents remain hesitant, with 28 percent saying the flu shot can cause autism.

During last year's flu season, one of the most severe in history, 180 children died of the virus, according to the release. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 80,000 people died nationwide from the flu.

According to the study, 70 percent of parents say the flu vaccine is the best way to protect children from the virus.


_________________
Every idea is an incitement - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Recovering from tongue cancer, somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

19 Oct 2018, 2:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Parents Believe Flu Vaccine is Conspiracy, Causes Autism
Quote:
MORE THAN HALF OF parents with children under the age of 18 believe that their children can contract the flu from the shot.

Additionally, one-third of parents say the shot does not protect children from contracting the virus, a study by Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children found. The study comes just as flu season is beginning and shortly after an unvaccinated child died of the flu in Florida earlier this month.

The parts of the virus that are used are completely dead, so you cannot get the flu from the flu shot," Moorjani, a pediatrician at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, said. "After receiving the shot, it takes your body about two weeks to build up antibodies to fight the flu, so if you come in contact with the virus during that time, you may still get sick, which is why you should get your flu shot as early as possible."

However, some parents remain hesitant, with 28 percent saying the flu shot can cause autism.

During last year's flu season, one of the most severe in history, 180 children died of the virus, according to the release. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 80,000 people died nationwide from the flu.

According to the study, 70 percent of parents say the flu vaccine is the best way to protect children from the virus.


During last year's flu season, one of the most severe in history, 180 children died of the virus, according to the release. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 80,000 people died nationwide from the flu.

How many people and how many parents have been misled to death by that monster Donald Trump?


Trump claims vaccines and autism are linked but his own experts vehemently disagree. The president has tweeted more than 20 times claiming - falsely - there is a link between vaccines and autism

Quote:
On more than 20 occasions, Mr Trump has tweeted about there being a link between vaccines and autism, something experts at the government’s leading public health institute say is not true. He also repeated the claim during a Republican primary debate, a remark that was immediately dismissed as false by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network.

Prior the election, Mr Trump met with four prominent anti-vaccine campaigners at a fundraiser in Florida – disbarred British doctor Andrew Wakefield, Mark Blaxill, editor-at-large of the Age of Autism website, Gary Kompothecras, a chiropractor and Trump donor from Sarasota, and Jennifer Larson, an entrepreneur who has campaigned against the use of vaccines in her home state of Minnesota...

“CDC, the Federal Drug Administration, and the Advisory Committee on Immunisation Practices, regularly review data to ensure that vaccine recommendations are based on the latest available science to provide safe and effective protection against serious diseases. Concerned parents should be reassured that recommended childhood vaccines have a strong safety record.”

It added: “For the general population, maintaining high vaccination levels is important not only for the individual person but also to protect potentially deadly diseases from spreading to the most vulnerable among us, such as patients with weakened immune systems and newborn children who are too young to be vaccinated.”...

Mr Wakefield was in 2010 found guilty by the UK’s General Medial Council of three dozen charges including dishonesty and abuse of children, shortly after The Lancet medical journal retracted the 1998 study on which his claims about the MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine were based. The magazine’s editor said at the time that statements in the article “were utterly false”.

A decade earlier he had moved to Texas where he continued to promote his theories. Health officials in Minnesota believe he was partly responsible for a 2017 outbreak of measles, the worst in decades, among the Somali-American community in Minneapolis.

He and other anti-vaccine campaigners met several times with members of the community, which was concerned about what it believed was an unusually high incidence of autism among Somali boys, something health officials said was not borne out by data...

Asked about his meeting with the president, Mr Wakefield told The Independent: “I met him once before the election, when he was running for the presidency. We had a meeting in Florida. We were there, four of us representing the issue of autism and its link to immunisation.

“He interjected and said ‘you don’t need to tell me that vaccines cause autism. I’ve seen it, I’ve seen it personally’. We went on to discuss the issue of there autism crisis that is set to affect 80 per cent of boys if nothing is done. He said if he was to be elected he’d do something about it.”



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,982
Location: Long Island, New York

19 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

Trump was not the prime fault in last seasons flu deaths.
CDC Estimates This Year's Flu Vaccine Is Only 36 Percent Effective

Of course the shot often not working does not mean it causes the flu and autism. But it is things like this that give a shot in the arm(pun intended) to the anti-vaxx movement.


_________________
Every idea is an incitement - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Recovering from tongue cancer, somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


Drake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,094

19 Oct 2018, 8:12 am

A lot of people don't know the flu vaccine is a risk reducer. They think like other vaccines it's meant to entirely prevent it. Then they see it doesn't and conclude it's garbage. And of course some people will get flu right after being vaccinated, leading to the assumption the injection gave them the flu. And then they'll tell people, thinking they're doing a good thing warning people, and then those people will tell more people...



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,064
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2018, 8:32 am

Within a week after the last few flu shots, I have come down with the flu -- not an allergic reaction, not "flu-like symptoms", but the flu -- complete with 103°F fever, aches, chills, fatigue, loss of appetite, dizziness, et cetera. While I am not claiming that the flue shot caused me to get the flu, either...

... the person giving the flu shot had the flu

... someone else getting the flu shot already had the flu

... someone at work had the flu, or was close to someone who had the flu

... a random flu virus just happened to drift by and get inhaled by me

... the pilots and crews of the black helicopters spraying their mind-control chemicals somehow contaminated the sprayers with the flu virus.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,351
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2018, 12:26 pm

I’ve never had a flu shot in my life.Been lucky I guess since I haven’t had the flu in 18 years.
I try to prevent it with tonics, like ginseng and goldenseal tincture.
And I hand sanitizer like crazy.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,982
Location: Long Island, New York

19 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Within a week after the last few flu shots, I have come down with the flu -- not an allergic reaction, not "flu-like symptoms", but the flu -- complete with 103°F fever, aches, chills, fatigue, loss of appetite, dizziness, et cetera. While I am not claiming that the flue shot caused me to get the flu, either...

... the person giving the flu shot had the flu

... someone else getting the flu shot already had the flu

... someone at work had the flu, or was close to someone who had the flu

... a random flu virus just happened to drift by and get inhaled by me

... the pilots and crews of the black helicopters spraying their mind-control chemicals somehow contaminated the sprayers with the flu virus.


The shot takes two weeks to take full effect so if you get infected just before, during or right after flu shot tough luck.

... the flu shot you recieve does not prevent the strain of flu you got.


_________________
Every idea is an incitement - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Recovering from tongue cancer, somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity


Wijogr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
Location: Minnesota

19 Oct 2018, 1:12 pm

Didn't Trump invent the Flu to control the media?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,064
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2018, 1:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Within a week after the last few flu shots, I have come down with the flu -- not an allergic reaction, not "flu-like symptoms", but the flu -- complete with 103°F fever, aches, chills, fatigue, loss of appetite, dizziness, et cetera. While I am not claiming that the flue shot caused me to get the flu, either...

... the person giving the flu shot had the flu

... someone else getting the flu shot already had the flu

... someone at work had the flu, or was close to someone who had the flu

... a random flu virus just happened to drift by and get inhaled by me

... the pilots and crews of the black helicopters spraying their mind-control chemicals somehow contaminated the sprayers with the flu virus.


The shot takes two weeks to take full effect so if you get infected just before, during or right after flu shot tough luck.

... the flu shot you recieve does not prevent the strain of flu you got.
It's the black helicopters, Imma tellya!!



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,351
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2018, 1:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Within a week after the last few flu shots, I have come down with the flu -- not an allergic reaction, not "flu-like symptoms", but the flu -- complete with 103°F fever, aches, chills, fatigue, loss of appetite, dizziness, et cetera. While I am not claiming that the flue shot caused me to get the flu, either...

... the person giving the flu shot had the flu

... someone else getting the flu shot already had the flu

... someone at work had the flu, or was close to someone who had the flu

... a random flu virus just happened to drift by and get inhaled by me

... the pilots and crews of the black helicopters spraying their mind-control chemicals somehow contaminated the sprayers with the flu virus.


The shot takes two weeks to take full effect so if you get infected just before, during or right after flu shot tough luck.

... the flu shot you recieve does not prevent the strain of flu you got.
It's the black helicopters, Imma tellya!!

Not any more,that’s old hat.
Now it’s drones.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,064
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2018, 1:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's the black helicopters, Imma tellya!!

Not any more, that’s old hat. Now it’s drones.
A tinfoil hat, perhaps?

I wonder why the Conspiracy Theorists haven't gone all ape-shirt over the idea of drones spreading the flu virus ...



rick42
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 20 Jun 2018
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 131

19 Oct 2018, 1:36 pm

Vaccine does not cause Autism.Sound like 28%(probably more than 28%) of those parents with Autistic Children believe in those crazy Conspiracy Theories that Flu Shots somehow cause Autism,even tho it's known and proven that Autism is Genetic.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,351
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2018, 2:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It's the black helicopters, Imma tellya!!

Not any more, that’s old hat. Now it’s drones.
A tinfoil hat, perhaps?

I wonder why the Conspiracy Theorists haven't gone all ape-shirt over the idea of drones spreading the flu virus ...

Give it time.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 549

19 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

28 percent is not "more than half".

I believe the MMR vaccine is capable, in very few cases, of causing autism, though on balance I'd still make sure my kids had it.

I don't know whether the flu vaccine causes autism, though I see absolutely no reason why any sane person would behave it done either way - one's defence against the simple flu is called an immune system, back when people still had such thing.


_________________
L'enfer c'est les autres.
- Sartre

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
- Henry David Thoreau