Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 9:14 am

Writer touted by CNN as 'Journalist of the Year' forced to resign for fabricating stories

The German magazine Der Spiegel revealed Wednesday that one of its top award-winning journalists fabricated many of his articles, inventing characters, sources, and their quotes “on a grand scale” for many years.

Claas Relotius, a reporter and editor, admitted to fabricating parts of at least 14 stories following the magazine’s internal investigation. The publication said the issue “marks a low point in the 70-year history of Der Spiegel.”

“I am sick and I need to get help,” he reportedly told the magazine.
The reporter contributed around 60 articles to Der Spiegel, one of the leading German magazines for investigative reporting. He previously worked for other publications in Europe and won awards such as CNN Journalist of the Year in 2014.

Source: Writer touted by CNN as 'Journalist of the Year' forced to resign for fabricating stories

Around 40 percent of things we believe to be absolutely true are not. It is important to weed out the facts from fiction. jimmy m

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:08 am

CNN is pretty much a tabloid in my opinion. Which is sad considering how many opinions it's shaped.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 11:23 am

They'll just change his award to "artist of the year" and call it a day.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 4:25 pm

lulz