Trump gets clever: no asylum if not at a port of entry

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 11:14 pm

Piobaire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the one condition that would make me contribute to building this GD wall, would be if it kept il trumpo out of the USA forevermore.

What if we were to round up his cult, confine them to Texas, and we built a wall around that?

even better! :wtg:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 11:17 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
In an effort to shutdown the Central American caravan, President Trump signed an executive order, requiring all asylum seekers to make their claim at a Border Patrol "port of entry".

Anyone entering the US illegally will automatically be denied asylum and presumably arrested.

Here are the CBP ports of entry
https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/

"Trump signs order denying asylum to illegal border crossers"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-immigrati ... itics.html

I don't have a problem with that. I've always wondered why asylum claims were not required to be made before one enters the country. I think the only problem would be if someone needs to flee a country due to political persecution and would not be safe until out of that country, the closest safe country was a neighboring country, and their life would be at risk if they attempted to enter through an official port of entry. For example, someone fleeing from North Korea to China or East Germany to West Germany.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 9:35 am

Trump picked a fight with a Tigar - and lost. Trump's not so "clever" after all;
a federal judge just blocked him.

Quote:
A federal judge barred the Trump administration from refusing asylum to immigrants who cross the southern border illegally.

President Donald Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that said anyone who crossed the southern border between official ports of entry would be ineligible for asylum. As the first of several caravans of migrants have started arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border, Trump said an asylum ban was necessary to stop what he’s attacked as a national security threat.

But in his ruling Monday, U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar agreed with legal groups that immediately sued, arguing that U.S. immigration law clearly allows someone to seek asylum even if they enter the country between official ports of entry.

“Whatever the scope of the President’s authority, he may not rewrite the immigration laws to impose a condition that Congress has expressly forbidden,” said Tigar, a nominee of former President Barack Obama ...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 4:40 pm

Immigrants seeking asylum are people too, not some alien species without human needs and afflictions:

https://journalistsresource.org/tip-she ... 0-80352401

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:07 pm

It legally they need to seek asylum In Mexico as it’s the First Nation they get to

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:24 pm

Mexico has the same problems as Guatemala and Honduras: drug cartels.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I don't think the unfortunate citizens of Austin and other progressive cities would be keen on that...

Maybe one of the little backwoods counties. There's one with a population of less than 100 and there are more oil wells there than people!

Loving County is the county of which you speak. It is the least populous county in the U.S.

Austin and Houston are the main bastions of progressivism in Texas.

I've been to Austin and quite enjoyed it. Keep Austin weird!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mexico has the same problems as Guatemala and Honduras: drug cartels.

So do we, where do you think those cartels sell the drugs?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 8:31 pm

Yeah....but the cartels over there affect the common person more, on average.