Majority of under-18s sectioned have autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 7:53 am

More than half of under-18s sectioned under mental legislation in Scotland have some form of autism, a North East MSP campaigning for a constituent trapped in Carstairs has discovered.

Aberdeenshire West MSP Alexander Burnett last night accused the Scottish Government of letting autistic youngsters “fall through the cracks” into mental health detention.

Mr Burnett has received Scottish Government correspondence revealing 21 of 39 mental health detainees under 18 have an autistic spectrum disorder.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ve-autism/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 11:21 am

I am pretty sure that true of a lot of other places also.

FYI "sectioned" in British English translates to "committed" in American English.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 12:08 pm

I'm not surprised.
Autism typically means social problems that make it hard for people on the spectrum to live in group settings.
As it takes a lot to live independently, it isn't surprising that many end up being institutionalized.

Robots could assist people with the activities of daily life so that more people could live independently, but I doubt the UK has the infrastructure needed to make that happen.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 12:44 pm

I'm not yet officially on the spectrum and am obviously over 18. I do wonder however how many people with autism generally,not just under 18,end up in institutions. Are people moved out of the institutions when they reach 18? If so if not to live independently it would be into a group home or a supported housing setting.

As an adult ,possibly on the spectrum, I have difficulty with some ADLs and have little in the way of practical skills. I get support from a care agency. It is stated in my care plan that such help is allow me to continue living independently in my own home.

I wonder whether these under 18s who are sectioned are gradually prepared to leave the institution when they reach 18 albeit with help from care agencies etc.