House approves 5 billion for Trump’s wall

Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:18 pm

cberg wrote:
EzraS wrote:
As I recall trump had some sort of business plan to extract wall money from Mexico in a round about way over a period of time. Rather than it being Mexico writing a check in full that said 'for the wall' before construction began.

That looks like extortion.

Are you basing that on the original plan he described?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

I don't believe Mexico should pay for the wall at all.

It's the United State's idea. Mexico didn't consent to it.

If Mexico would pay for the wall, it would mean it's denying its sovereignty----its right to be a nation.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:22 pm

@ezra No because every president's original plan is total BS. Obama purported to be closing Guantanamo. There were & possibly still are quite a few innocent people there.

Making people pay for something that restricts them, that's classic iPhone fanboy nonsense.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Taradine
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2018, 5:25 pm

^well said.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:45 pm

cberg wrote:
@ezra No because every president's original plan is total BS. Obama purported to be closing Guantanamo. There were & possibly still are quite a few innocent people there.

I think like with ACA, Obama did have a certain plan in mind that did not work out as he intended, rather then come to a conclusion that it was all just a big steaming pile of BS.

cberg wrote:
Making people pay for something that restricts them, that's classic iPhone fanboy nonsense.

I have no idea what that means. The way America or any country or business operates is by getting money out of people. As I recall Trump's plan involved tariffs or something similar. Rather than Mexico directly specifically funding the wall.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
cberg wrote:

I think like with ACA, Obama did have a certain plan in mind that did not work out as he intended, rather then come to a conclusion that it was all just a big steaming pile of BS.

cberg wrote:

I have no idea what that means. The way America or any country or business operates is by getting money out of people. As I recall Trump's plan involved tariffs or something similar.

It amazes me you guys still trust what Trump's telling you. He claimed there'd be a wall and Mexico would pay for it, and you know what we've actually gotten: a 10 billion dollar bailout package for Mexico. 0 wall, 10 billion to Mexico.

But it's like I've said from day one: he's just stringing you guys along for his own personal profit. You'll start to see the money he's made from the office come out in the next 2-3 months with investigations from the House Finance Committee, who has the ability to subpoena itemized administration budgets. Don't be shocked when you find out his company has made 100's of millions just from his trips to Mar a Lago where he's charging the taxpayer premium rates for his security detail and entourage to stay while he golfs. Also don't be shocked when you learn he's got profitable business deals in places like Turkey, Russia, and even China, that were put in place the last two years he's been in office and supposedly negotiating with those historic antagonists on our behalf. When all the money has come to light, maybe then you'll understand that this far-right nationalist stance is just an act, just an act to keep you distracted while he reached into your pocket and stole your wallet. But I'm not holding my breath.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:25 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cberg wrote:

cberg wrote:

I have no idea what that means. The way America or any country or business operates is by getting money out of people. As I recall Trump's plan involved tariffs or something similar.

It amazes me you guys still trust what Trump's telling you. He claimed there'd be a wall and Mexico would pay for it, and you know what we've actually gotten: a 10 billion dollar bailout package for Mexico. 0 wall, 10 billion to Mexico.

On my part it has nothing to do with trust or faith or like or dislike of Trump. Or approving or disapproving of the wall plan. It's just simply analyzing the original plan as I understand it. What mazes me, figuratively speaking, is how some with autism seem reason on an emotional rather than analytical level.

Aristophanes wrote:
But it's like I've said from day one: he's just stringing you guys along for his own personal profit. You'll start to see the money he's made from the office come out in the next 2-3 months with investigations from the House Finance Committee, who has the ability to subpoena itemized administration budgets. Don't be shocked when you find out his company has made 100's of millions just from his trips to Mar a Lago where he's charging the taxpayer premium rates for his security detail and entourage to stay while he golfs. Also don't be shocked when you learn he's got profitable business deals in places like Turkey, Russia, and even China, that were put in place the last two years he's been in office and supposedly negotiating with those historic antagonists on our behalf. When all the money has come to light, maybe then you'll understand that this far-right nationalist stance is just an act, just an act to keep you distracted while he reached into your pocket and stole your wallet. But I'm not holding my breath.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:30 pm

EzraS wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cberg wrote:

cberg wrote:

On my part it has nothing to do with trust or faith or like or dislike of Trump. Or approving or disapproving of the wall plan. It's just simply analyzing the original plan as I understand it. What mazes me, figuratively speaking, is how some with autism seem reason on an emotional rather than analytical level.

Aristophanes wrote:

Trust me, you'll know when I'm emotional, because I won't be near as polite.

Edit: and you know what, I probably should be emotional, because the man in the White House is stealing my tax dollars for his own personal gain.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:41 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Buc wrote:
Isn’t it nice having a president who follows through with his plans? I see a wall going up and people having more respect for boundaries, just like a fence between neighbors.

It's still not gonna happen because the bill has to pass the Senate with a filibuster proof majority. The wall will be completely ineffective, this is just one giant waste of money for symbolism's sake. As I said it's not a huge issue for me, mainly because the politicians waste a good amount of our money already so this is just the status quo really, but issue is that it won't actually solve the problem, and I'm skeptical it'll even dent the numbers. As long as there is an incentive to be here (job/benefits) they'll find a way around the wall.

Exactly. The wall is cosmetic and will have little effect on anything. It's just another multi-billion dollar boondoggle that just adds to the real problem facing the US -- the massive out of control debt and the spending that caused it.

So it’s exacrly like gun control and other liberal policies

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

Magna wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Magna wrote:
What is the estimated annual cost to U.S. taxpayers for all required services combined (ie medical, law enforcement, government assistance, education, etc) that relate to illegal immigration?

Too complex to calculate really. There have been literally 100's of reports on the issue and there's no consensus because it's such a complex issue. Virtually any information you find will be partisan in nature, so I'll drop the wikipedia article that gives an overview of the popular ones. Economic impact of illegal immigration in the United States

Edit: part of what makes it hard to calculate where other large/complex issues are not (think healthcare) is the undocumented nature of it-- there's a lot of uncertainty because most of the numbers used as the basis for the calculations are estimates.

Example: we're not sure exactly how much money is earned by illegal immigrants in their jobs, we estimate there are between 10.5 and 12.5 million illegal immigrants currently, we don't know what they're getting paid because they don't have to file taxes (obviously, being undocumented), so we estimate it's slightly lower than minimum wage. That's a lot of uncertainty. Compare that for average personal expenditure on healthcare-- we've got a fairly good idea there were 3.5 trillion dollars spent last year due to tax documentation, and from social security audits and the census we're fairly certain there are 325 million citizens here thus average healthcare expenditure is a little over 10k per person. The underlying variables on illegal immigration are not so certain, which makes virtually every estimate unreliable.

I see what you mean about partisan. I did look at the wiki article. It seems proponents for illegal immigration posit that the sales tax illegal immigrants pay buying products while they're in the U.S. more than offsets any costs involved in providing them housing, healthcare, food assistance and education and other public services. Unless I'm understanding it incorrectly part of the wiki made it seem like taxpayers actually financially benefit from every person who enters the U.S. illegally and resides here.

There’s no sales tax in my state. Illegal immigrants can’t pay income tax.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm

sly279 wrote:
There’s no sales tax in my state. Illegal immigrants can’t pay income tax.

You guys are losing out then, at least here in CO they're still paying local taxes on products they purchase. Yay us.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:05 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cberg wrote:

cberg wrote:

Aristophanes wrote:

Trust me, you'll know when I'm emotional, because I won't be near as polite.

Edit: and you know what, I probably should be emotional, because the man in the White House is stealing my tax dollars for his own personal gain.

I was referring to several people here. However in my observation your post contain a lot of hyperbole.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
I was referring to several people here. However in my observation your post contain a lot of hyperbole.

Auxesis is the technical term and specifically climatic auxesis. Hyperbole is blowing something out of proportion. Again, 0 wall, 10 billion to Mexico is not hyperbole, it's technical term is called: a fact.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Auxesis is the technical term and specifically climatic auxesis. Hyperbole is blowing something out of proportion.

I was referring to yours and others overall posting style displaying what appears to contain emotional reasoning and ranting. Referring to several people in general: "he's full of s**t and a liar!" type comments. If I ask if the person saying such things, if they have analyzed what was actually said, I get responses like "I don't have to, he's a liar and a conman!". So if hyperbole isn't the right term for that kind of rhetoric, what is?

Aristophanes wrote:
Again, 0 wall, 10 billion to Mexico is not hyperbole, it's technical term is called: a fact.

I still think a couple of years ago he actually did have some plan in mind, such as tariffs or similar, to get Mexico to fund the wall in a round about way.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 8:37 pm

EzraS wrote:
I was referring to yours and others overall posting style displaying what appears to contain emotional reasoning and ranting. Referring to several people in general: "he's full of s**t and a liar!" type comments. If I ask if the person saying such things, if they have analyzed what was actually said, I get responses like "I don't have to, he's a liar and a conman!". So if hyperbole isn't the right term for that kind of rhetoric, what is?

Again, it's called a fact Ezra: Fact Checker Analysis President Trump has made more than 5,000 false or misleading claims

EzraS wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Again, 0 wall, 10 billion to Mexico is not hyperbole, it's technical term is called: a fact.

I still think a couple of years ago he actually did have some plan in mind, such as tariffs or similar, to get Mexico to fund the wall in a round about way.

Which should tell you how serious he was about it-- if he were serious you'd remember because he'd constantly be bragging about his plan. He is not, therefore he was not serious. And again, there was never a plan, there were 'ideas', which are nowhere close to a 'plan', which alludes to some strategy and process to accomplish a goal. Here's the ideas:
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Mexico will never cut a check to the U.S. Treasury, but President Donald Trump is zeroing in on a plan so that the president can argue America’s southern neighbor will indeed fund the border wall, according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

The plan aides are piecing together would force Mexico to pay for the wall in indirect ways, including through remittance fees and tapping Mexico’s trade surplus with the United States.

“He will find a way,” said a former Trump adviser who is in close contact with the White House. “The wall will be funded partially or all by an additional revenue stream.”

Publicly, the priority is getting the $25 billion or so that Trump says is needed to fund the wall as part of a package deal that would protect so-called Dreamers and reduce family migration. Privately, the White House is mulling over various proposals to ensure U.S. taxpayers are reimbursed for the wall’s initial costs — or at least some of the price tag.

While Trump’s team has not reached a consensus, leading proposals include adding a small percentage fee on money sent by individuals in the United States to recipients in Mexico. Another is directing a surplus in revenue from a revised trade agreement with Mexico and Canada. White House Director of Legislative Affairs Marc Short has also spoken favorably of a proposal presented by Republican members of Congress to have foreign tech workers, though largely not Mexican, pay for part of the wall, according to a U.S. source familiar with the conversations.

Jessica Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies, has shared a proposal on remittances with the White House.

“There are many, many proposals in the hopper,” she said. “They’re going through a process.”

SOURCE

So see, a bunch of ideas, but no plan. That was February of this year btw, so that was 10 months ago, and still no plan. That should tell you how serious he was about Mexico paying for it. Ask yourself: If this were Trump's personal business and there was a property he seriously wanted to acquire, would he wait around 10 months (and counting) to start the ball rolling? Again, he's not serious, he's stringing you along.

To be honest, the Republicans have been stringing you all along for almost 40 years. You know who was the first president to campaign on being tough on illegal immigration? Ronald Reagan in 1984. You know what the result was? The first amnesty bill for illegal immigrants. You know who echoed that sentiment in his campaign? George H.W. Bush. Result: he was the first president that worked on NAFTA. You know who else was going to be tough on immigration (but compassionate about it)? George W. Bush. Result: you got a dinky fence around a small section of Texas that illegals routinely just walk around. And then there's Trump, who was going to be super tough on immigration and build a wall to end all walls. Result: 10 billion dollar stimulus to Mexico. See, the Republicans keep TELLING you they're going to do these things, but their ACTIONS are the complete opposite. There's two factors at play here, the wealthy elite that fund the Republican politicians, and thus are their boss, do not actually want illegal immigration solved because it would eliminate their near slave-labor and cut into their profits, and 2nd, the Republican politicians have every incentive not to solve immigration because it would take an issue off the table, an issue they can get you to go out and vote for them over and over and over again, so long as it never gets solved. Again, it's called a string along.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2018, 8:46 pm

I hire illegals and I still want a wall. It’s called border security.