LeBron James apologizes for sharing “anti-Semitic” lyrics

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 7:18 pm

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/12/24/lebron-james-apologizes-for-sharing-anti-semitic-song-lyrics-on-instagram/23626463/

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James apologized on Sunday after quoting song lyrics on a post to his 45.8 million Instagram followers that featured the offensive phrase “getting that Jewish money.”

Wearing Lakers garb in the backseat of a car on Saturday, James shared the following lyrics from rapper 21 Savage’s song “ASMR” in an Instagram story: “We been getting that Jewish money, Everything is Kosher.” The Action Network’s Darren Rovell shared a screen grab of the story to his Twitter account.

James told ESPN’s Dave McMenamin after Sunday’s loss to the Memphis Grizzlies that he felt the lyrics spoke to “a strength of the Jewish business community,” a misinterpretation that perpetuates a discriminatory stereotype. The historical link between Jewish people and money was anti-Semitic by nature, birthing mistrust of the community that carried through the Holocaust and still exists today.

“Apologies, for sure, if I offended anyone,” James told McMenamin. “That’s not why I chose to share that lyric. I always [post lyrics]. That’s what I do. I ride in my car, I listen to great music, and that was the byproduct of it. So I actually thought it was a compliment, and obviously it wasn’t through the lens of a lot of people. My apologies. It definitely was not the intent, obviously, to hurt anybody.”

Rapper Apologizes for 'anti-Semitic' Lyrics That Got LeBron James in Trouble
Quote:
The rapper, who goes by the name 21 Savage, wrote in a tweet on Monday that he never thought anyone would be offended by the lyrics in his new song “asmr.” In it, the rapper sings “We been gettin’ that Jewish money, everything is Kosher (On God)” and then boasts about buying Lamborghini and Tesla cars.

Saint Laurent Don

@21savage
The Jewish people I know are very wise with there money so that’s why I said we been gettin Jewish money I never thought anyone would take offense I’m sorry if I offended everybody never my intention I love all people

Responses to the tweet ranged from people identifying themselves as Jews who thought the lyrics were funny or a compliment to those that called critics too sensitive.

I have been a victim of this type of “positive” stereotyping where people who know I am Jewish and like me assume I am smarter then I am. I have been fumbling with an answer and people are acting like I am saying something brilliant. It is a lot better then the other type of stereotyping but it is still making assumptions about me based on my group. Not dissimilar to people assuming you are a savant because you are autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 7:53 pm

The joys of identity politics eh.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

Just more liberal hypocrisy. Move along, nothing to see here.