Elizabeth Warren Running for President in 2020

Page 3 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 4:20 am

Fnord wrote:
She could run as a reptiloid space alien and still be a better candidate than the current Demander-In-Chief.

Of course, if a normal, sane, honest person with a PhD in Physics who is also an honorably-discharged military veteran, and lacking a criminal record ran for president, I would favor such a person over anyone else.

Being a better candidate is not enough.
https://twitter.com/MizDanaClaire/status/1080331004798152704

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 4:29 am

^^^on that subject, I am reminded of the somewhat snarky words of adlai Stephenson in 1956, when told by a reporter, "you have the votes of thinking people everywhere," to which adlai replied, "but I need a majority to win."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 5:53 am

Tollorin wrote:
Fnord wrote:
She could run as a reptiloid space alien and still be a better candidate than the current Demander-In-Chief.

Of course, if a normal, sane, honest person with a PhD in Physics who is also an honorably-discharged military veteran, and lacking a criminal record ran for president, I would favor such a person over anyone else.

Being a better candidate is not enough.
https://twitter.com/MizDanaClaire/status/1080331004798152704

the media went after trump a lot harder.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

Piobaire wrote:

Combined with ageism, the she is too “school marmish” like Hillary type analysis I have read since her announcement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 11:40 am

She shouldn't have said she was Native American----when she is not.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2019, 11:51 am

^^^ Yes, it's different if you do actually have Native American ancestry.

Speaking of which, I was quite pleased that some brave delegate on the 2016 electoral college saw fit to cast a vote for Faith Spotted Eagle!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 11:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
She shouldn't have said she was Native American----when she is not.

She didn't. She said that a DNA analysis showed that she had some Native American ancestry; not at all the same as saying you're Native American...but try telling that to Spanky's cult of Fox News dittoheads.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 12:10 pm

She sounds like an improvement on the face of it, but she can't win without the backing of Wall Street and/or other big financial interests, who will inevitably want something in return.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 9:38 pm

when will our politics cease to be so stooooopid?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 9:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Probably never entirely stupid free, but it can get better when abominations like Citizens United are stricken from government record.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 10:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:

When we, the people finally get hit by a clue by four.

Remember what H. L. Mencken always said: “Never underestimate the intelligence of the American Electorate.”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 11:22 pm

my fave quote on the subject-
"... when a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or count himself lost. … All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. ..." [H.L. Mencken]

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 12:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
my fave quote on the subject-
"... when a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or count himself lost. … All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. ..." [H.L. Mencken]

And that has happened quite a lot over the past 55 years. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

there is IMHO not a critical mass of thoughtful people here in amuuuurica, sufficient for a representative democracy to function for very long, before degenerating into some kind of tyranny.